Godless Mom in the Bible Belt

Sunday, April 24, 2005

In the beginning

How do you define yourself? By your sex, race, or job?

Do you define yourself by your political leanings or the by the place you graduated from college?

I guess we all have categories that we like to put ourselves into. We wrap ourselves in our labels, surround ourselves with those who are like us and we feel safe and comfortable.

So, my labels (for what they are worth) are these: Wife, mother, daughter, daughter-in-law, sister, aunt, reader, nature lover, American, liberal, atheist. I'm sure there are other categories that I would fit rather neatly into but these are the ones that come immediately to mind.

My main goal at the inception of this blog is to share my thoughts and experiences as an atheist parent. Many of my parenting dilemmas are the very same ones faced by every parent, some are unique to my situation. I do not pretend to have any parenting expertise beyond my own personal experience, I'm just a mom trying to do what is best for my child in a world that is both kind and hostile. I hope that this blog will serve as a forum for parents who also want to raise their children without superstition.
posted by GodlessMom, 9:22 PM

1 Comments:

Blogger GodlessMom said:

You know Jim? This is a great question and not one I feel I have an absolute answer for.

I tend to err on the side of science and tangible proof but I freely acknowledge that there are things currently beyond our ability to understand. Now, will science eventually explain everything? Probably not (the great fun of science is that it constantly creates new questions for itself) and perhaps the unexplainable is that "force" that you speak of.

I consider myself a very spiritual person, but not in the religious sense of the word. I feel deeply connected to my world and my universe. Perhaps that is the unknown, the thing that is beyond our understanding. It's a good question and one I return to often. It is also one of those questions that is most likely impossible to answer.

Thanks for visiting my blog. I hope you continue to comment!
Posted at 10:05 AM  

Add a comment