Godless Mom in the Bible Belt

Saturday, April 30, 2005

Hey y'all

Texans sure love Texas! It is actually quite endearing, if you can get past the ego.

I've never been anywhere in my life where the natives are so resolutely certain that there is nowhere on the planet that can match their homeland. Now, there are plenty of Texans who are world travelers and there are plenty who have never ventured beyond the state line. Yet regardless of their travel history, I have never met a native Texan who would rather live anywhere else.

Now, Texas is vast. If you've never actually made the journey border to border you really have no idea just how much land is covered by the second largest state in our union. There are plains, hills, swamps, desert, lakes, beaches, grasslands, forests, almost everything. Much of it is absolutely beautiful and if you live in Houston, much of it is easily accessible.

Now, I'm not a Texan so my heart doesn't really reside here along with the rest of my body. It isn't that I don't like Texas, it's just that Texas isn't home.

My home has jagged, rocky mountains that tower to well over 10K feet. Vast expanses of red rock desert punctuated by sandstone arches that defy gravity. Light, sparkling snow that dusts your face as you slice through it on your way downhill under crystal blue skies. All of this is in a state ranked among the lowest in population density. If only the damned place wasn't filled with such religious weirdos!!!! (many of whom are family...Grin.)

I love Utah, I honestly believe it is one of the most beautiful places on Earth. If you ever get the opportunity to ski the slopes up Little Cottonwood Canyon or hike the canyons in Arches or Capitol Reef National Parks you should jump at it, you'll never look at the rest of the planet in the same way again. I guess home is where the heart is and despite the fact that I don't ever want to live there again, Utah will forever have a hold on me.

My daughter however, is a Texan. It will be really interesting to see if she develops the Texas attitude regarding this state.
posted by GodlessMom, 8:27 PM

1 Comments:

Blogger dAAve said:

Of course she will. Why not?

While you were not born in Texas, I am sure you got here as quickly as you could.
Posted at 6:27 PM  

Add a comment