Godless Mom in the Bible Belt

Friday, July 22, 2005

Let's beat that dead horse!!

I'm convinced that there were some seriously shady deeds taking place during the 2000 and 2004 presidential elections. I truly don't think that Bush legitimatly won either election. But that is not the debate for today. I merely mention my stand on this to provide some background for today's post.

A few months ago I rented the documentary Unprecidented, the 2000 Presidential Election. Scott and I were watching it when Scott noticed during a scene where the filmakers were discussing the fiasco recount process, that John Bolton was sitting in the background as a representative for Bush. Now John Bolton is kind of hard to miss. Milk White mustache and steel grey hair (rug), you don't see many people who look like that. So this got me to thinking, is Bush indebted to Bolton for something owing to that recount? Is the nomination of Bolton for UN ambassador a repayment of sorts?

And then yesterday I found this article in the Miami Herald (or you can read it here on Commondreams.org) regarding the new Supreme Court nominee John Roberts and the assistance he provided to team Bush in Florida during the 2000 election. Again my brain started going down the same path. Is this nomination to the Supreme Court a payback for services rendered during the 2000 election recount?

Now, I don't expect Bush to nominate someone I'd actually like and I certainly don't expect all judges to be without political opinions. I acknowledge that the law of our land permits Bush to make these choices on behalf of all of us and I can always hope that he would choose wisely. But with all the talk coming from conservatives about "activist judges" I have to wonder if the label only applies when the judge disagrees with the Right? Now, I would imagine that Roberts is a very ambitious man, anyone who makes it all the way to the Supreme Court would have to be. I would also expect that he was merely offering his opinions to the Bush administration during the election in order to draw attention to himself and further his own career. However, he willingly on his own dime, advised and sided with one political candidate over another during a period of extreme division. He wasn't defending our Constitution and the law of the land, he was defending and furthering the interests of the Republican party. Doesn't this qualify as activism? Now don't get me wrong, I'm not bagging on the man, I don't know enough about him yet to form an opinion one way or another. This article just set off the alarm bells in my head.

I'll be away from the computer for the weekend, enjoy!
posted by GodlessMom, 5:37 AM

9 Comments:

Blogger Fred said:

I would agree with you for the 2000 election; the Supreme Court decided that battle. I have a hard time agreeing with you on the 2004 election, though. Nothing funny happpened, did it?

The current consensus is that Bush artfully picked this nominee; Roberts has already received praise from many "centrist" Democrats. So, unless they find something shady; he's probably in.

Then we'll see what he's really like.

Great reading, thanks for the links.
Posted at 8:46 AM  

Blogger GodlessMom said:

Hey Fred, actually there were quite a few things that were more than a little suspicious in the 2004 election. Most people are unaware of it due to the fact that the "liberal" media didn't cover all the crap that followed last November's election.

I'll do a post on it next week and let you know why I feel the way I do.
Posted at 8:52 AM  

Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said:

This horse will never die. Let us keep it alive for quite awhile.

Have a good weekend!
Posted at 11:42 AM  

Blogger pack of 2 said:

I agree 100% with you.

Love your blog.

Shelly
Posted at 2:27 PM  

Blogger Saur♥Kraut said:

Yup, I think the Bush administration has a history of cronyism.
Posted at 9:34 PM  

Blogger The Lazy Iguana said:

9 out of 10 people agree - Roberts is VERY white. At the beach he uses SPF 10,000.

So much for diversity on the court huh?

But, he is as good as in. What worries me is not really anything the man has said or done, it is that the holy rolling right wing lunatics who like to focus on people's families seem to like the guy.

BADS NEWS. I made up my mind years ago to automaticaly be against ANYTHING endorsed by groups like Focus On The Family.
Posted at 9:38 PM  

Blogger Lila said:

Very, very interesting. You gotta wonder....
Posted at 10:17 PM  

Blogger Watson Woodworth said:

The Bushies have never been an administration as much as a junta.
Is Roberts part of it? He would NEVER have been nominated has he not been.
And as for 2004, electronic "voting" machines with no physical record of the will of the voters designed by a company openly supporting Bush. Golly gee, I wonder if that wasn't completely on the level.
Posted at 10:30 AM  

Blogger United We Lay said:

I agree with oyu on all counts. If the fraudulent election hadn;t happened the first time, he wouldn't have been in a position to send us to war, to be re-elected, to stand by while the economy declines, etc...
Posted at 6:18 PM  

Add a comment