Godless Mom in the Bible Belt

Thursday, September 08, 2005

Welcome to Houston, now go away!

I've noticed a rather alarming trend here in Houston regarding the Katrina survivors who have joined our population. I don't know if it is just my area of town (Cypress/Copperfield) but I'd sure be interested in the thoughts of other Houstonians on this one.

I woke up yesterday morning and put on the local news (Channel 2) while I made my coffee. The first story was regarding rumors that are spreading around the city concerning a dramatic increase in crime in the area surrounding the Astrodome since the evacuees arrived. The police actually had to hold a press conference to tell everyone that it isn't true. There has been no increase in criminal activity at all since these folks arrived, yet the rumors persist.

There seems to be a fear of what the survivors represent. I'm continually hearing about how this is the criminal element, the welfare/social leach element from New Orleans. The general consensus seems to be that while what happened is unfortunate and these Americans who have lost everything are to be pitied, the fact that they are now in Houston will only tax our social welfare system. It doesn't seem to occur to anyone that along with the elderly and disabled there are also entrepreneurs and skilled workers, educated professionals and artists. I'm not saying there aren't lazy people in the group, of course there will be. I'm just floored by the attitude that ALL of these people are like that.

I first noticed this attitude in my social group last Thursday when the first of the survivors arrived in our city. A few of the ladies in my neighborhood expressed their shock at the situation and their dismay at the fact that these people would be joining our population. I even witnessed outright verbal hostility regarding the fact that the children from Louisiana will be joining our schools. One lady went so far as to suggest that these children will bring disease into our schools and infect our children, as if Louisiana doesn't require the same childhood immunizations as Texas. Ironically enough, these same ladies are out busting their butts getting donations for their church and school water/food drives. They will pile tons of donations together and go out of their way to make certain the donations reach those in need, yet the don't really seem to want to actually welcome these people.

It's easy to assume this is a racial issue, and I'm sure that race plays a significant role in this attitude. However, I think the more insidious cause of this hostility is social class difference. For some reason I cannot fathom, these folks I've been listening to seem to equate poverty with laziness and criminality. It seems that this attitude is extremely pervasive, enough so that the police force felt it was necessary to hold a press conference in regards to the issue.

Have you guys noticed the same attitude in your various parts of town? Is there any solution to this inherent distrust? Does this type of attitude turn into a self-fulfilling prophecy, the pre-conceived ideas working to fuel prejudice which in turn fuel the racism and poverty?

In the immortal words of Barbara Bush, "And so many of the people in the arena here, you know, were underprivileged anyway. This is working very well for them."

I don't mean to say that all of Houston feels this way. There has been an amazing and heartwarming outpouring of kindness and generosity here that I feel is truly genuine. It's the undercurrent of distrust that worries me.
posted by GodlessMom, 6:13 AM

16 Comments:

Blogger dAAve said:

Screw Barbara Bush. She wouldn't know reality if it hit her in the hair.

In Montrose, I haven't heard nay negative attitudes toward the survivors. We've had about 8 of those guys at my AA center and welcomed them as we would anyone else.
I believe that people's fears of the unknown cause them to over-react. Those who speak in a negative way rarely stop to think about how they would feel in the same situation.
One thing I have learned in my new spiritual life goes something like this ...
"Gossip is a polite form of murder by character assassination."
Posted at 8:25 AM  

Blogger Scott W said:

At lunch at Luby's the other day, one of our members expressed that she had heard it was dangerous for women to go to the Astrodome to help because of the crime. The same police news conference was referenced but I don't know that she truly accepted that fact.

I agree with you that it seems to be more of the 'class' distinction we experience in this country. And David is right on when he says "Those who speak in a negative way rarely stop to think about how they would feel in the same situation." People rarely stop to really think anymore.

Thanks for the posting, it was well written.
Posted at 8:39 AM  

Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said:

Yikes!

How sad to speculate about something so negative in light of the American tragedy all these people have experineced.

Let us not look at what is, but speculate on what might be with a negative spin! Sounds so terrible.

Good to hear the remarks by HP and scott W!
Posted at 9:30 AM  

Blogger Kristie said:

I have a friend who lives in a part of Louisiana that wasnt hit by the hurricane and they are hosting quite a few survivors in her town. She is poor herself, but going to help out by volutneering and serving meals. Yet even tho she tells me stories of these people that she meets and the heartbreak they have experienced, she still talks as tho those rumors are true. She hasnt seen anything to substantiate them, and when i tell her of the press conferences that contradict the rumors, she doesnt want to believe it.

Unfortunately, many people in the US who are not or have never been poor, believe that if you are poor you are lazy. Even tho those of us in the "Working Lower Class/Working Poor" work very hard to maintain what we have in life. Its just a fact of life. Thank you for addressing this frustrating aspect of American society.
Posted at 9:39 AM  

Blogger Blueberry said:

I've got a link on my blog to that NPR Marketplace story where Barbara Bush made those offensive comments, and the whole piece was about that "don't move here" attitude. Disgusting. In Austin, I haven't run into or heard of people expressing those kinds of sentiments. I've got a feeling the town, although not particularly wanting to get bigger, would definitely prefer that these people move here permanently than be invaded again by Silicon Valley dot-com yuppies who want to bulldoze highways through downtown and replace our funky shops with trendy chains.
Posted at 12:45 PM  

Blogger Zeppellina said:

Good post godlessmom.
The BBC did a report on Baton Rouge area, saying that gun sales had rocketed by inhabitants in the area.
The feeling was that crime would escalate, and that they would need to be able to protect themselves.
One gun store owner claimed to be selling 1,000 firearms a day.

The BBC also commented that claims of widespead crime in New Orleans had been greatly exaggerated, and that crime in the City had actually dropped in the week of the disaster.
The scare mongerers were out in force.
I think that things will calm down, and find a comfortable level.
Any large influx of people into an area always seems to cause suspicion, but once people merge into, and become part of the community, things will be better.
Posted at 1:26 PM  

Blogger pack of 2 said:

I spoke to my old roommate from Houston last night. She told me that the hotel she works for has given the people from New Orleans a huge break on room rates. Rooms regularly going for 209 per night have been reduced to 70 for hurricane victims.

She sounded like she was very open to the people she has been interacting with. She did mention that people were saying crime was going up in those areas. She didn't believe it was true either.

Shelly
Posted at 1:50 PM  

Blogger Urban Chick said:

i've just been watching the evening news here (in the UK) and the report i saw - which focused on the refugees who came to houston - was very positive about the welcome people have received by their texan compatriots

of course, that's not to say that the unpleasant undercurrents exist

sounds very much like some tabloid newspaper coverage of immigrants in this country

whatever it is, it's an ugly sentiment
Posted at 3:11 PM  

Blogger Watson Woodworth said:

I think it's about competition. Established mouse worried that new mouse might want too much of his cheese. So new mouse is treated nastily.
People have a fear of someone with less to loose than they do. That's why is't the middle class that makes or breaks a class structure. They keep the poor back from the rich while themselves being in fear of becoming poor.
Posted at 4:29 PM  

Blogger Lila said:

Do you think it's racism? It seems like there's a big racist element toward these unfortunate souls. I hope it gets better!

Some evacuees are now arriving in Cape Cod. Hopefully it will go reasonably well for them there.
Posted at 8:11 PM  

Blogger dddragon said:

There are evacuees here in Pennsylvania that have come to stay with relatives if possible. Some are in a former nursing home and can take 100. I have only heard of people trying to gather needed items (such as winter clothes, since they wouldn't have any for our winters), but nothing about fear of crime or anything else.

Of course, there aren't going to be the numbers that your area is getting.
Posted at 10:22 AM  

Blogger TLP said:

That's alarming. I'm afraid that it is more about race than we are willing to admit.

In our today's paper there is an article about an African-American bank executive from Harrisburg, PA who had flown with his family to New Orleans for a game in the Superdome. They were staying in a hotel two blocks from the stadium.

They wanted to leave the city before the storm, but got stuck in N.O. in the hotel, and had a lot of trouble getting out of the city after the flood. This man is trying to be fair about it all, but he definitely was shocked by how he was treated as a black man in the aftermath. He's used to being treated as a human being since he's "made it."

Yes, class is involved too, but people (read white people) look at poor blacks in a different way than they look at poor whites. Just my humble opinion. When push comes to shove, we haven't come as far as we should have on these issues.
Posted at 3:26 PM  

Blogger Valerie said:

I haven't seen or head negative attitudes in my neighborhood (Montrose/Museum) district, but I have seen the rumors at various sites online and gotten a number of emails telling me to "be extra safe" and all that crap. I've been replying with links to news stories about how those rumors aren't true.
Posted at 7:40 PM  

Blogger Lucy Stern said:

I've heard a few stories that make me cringe. Our YSA group went down to work last Tuesday night and one of the girls was acosted. My son has been down to the Dome with a doctor friend of his and he saw people steeling, cops arrest a few people and some unrest. I suppose with that many people in one place things are going to happen. I know that over here on 1960 and Kuykendahl they will be putting people in an apartment complex that was barely used. People are on their guard, but I think it is because they hear about things that are happening and are cauious. I'm not too worried about it. I know that there are alot of good people in the Astrodome also. I guess it's a "not in my backyard" thing. Too bad.
I heard on the radio last night that they have 500 cases of people with a rash, extreme diareah, and vomiting that had to be hospitalized. Some of the health care workers are sick and a few of the police officers that have worked down there. I don't know for fact that this is true. I heard it on Michael Savage show last night while I was driving to RS.
Posted at 8:48 PM  

Blogger Fred said:

Wow - interesting reading!

I received my first student Thurdsay who is staying with relatives. I started to explain how his grades would be sent to me when I interrupted myself. His school was destroyed.

The PTA provided him with a backpack full of school supplies, and a gift certificate to redeem for clothing.

I hope this is happenening all over the country. Thanks, Houston.
Posted at 10:47 AM  

Blogger Saur♥Kraut said:

Yeah, the Other Half and I knew that this was coming. He mentioned it immediately. However, in his opinion there would be crime definately, given the caliber of the looters. I pointed out that most of the people being bused in weren't the looters (the looters were roaming wild through the city, not sitting waiting for buses). We eventually compromised, agreeing that there might be some desperate people who would go on a rampage but that most of them seem to simply wish to survive. I can't even begin to imagine what they're going through.
Posted at 2:16 PM  

Add a comment