Godless Mom in the Bible Belt

Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Coming up against one's own conscience

Anyone who reads my blog regularly knows that I love critters. I have devoted much of my personal and professional life to the care and welfare of non-human animals. I surround myself with them and encourage their presence in my yard, I can sit for hours and watch animals in the wild. I thoroughly enjoy every bit of contact I have with them (yes, I even enjoy the dirty work.)

So, it might surprise people to know that I spent three years working in medical research. The laboratory I worked for had two departments, Toxicology and Medical Implant and Device testing. The Toxicology department tested new medications mostly on rodents and lagamorphs, the Medical Implant and Device department tested new surgical techniques and (as the name implies) new implant technology. This department used cows, sheep, dogs and pigs.

Now, there is definitely some good that comes out of the type of work I did. Our lab was responsible for much of the research which resulted in the FDA pulling silicone breast implants. We helped develop a device that has helped many people who need portions of intestine removed. We did some remarkable work which has helped burn victims with skin grafts.

While I realized that my work was important to humans, it was difficult to go to work day after day and know that I was inflicting pain on one type of animal for the benefit of another. Now, I personally don't believe that the human species is anything special. I don't believe that we own the world, I don't believe we have any sort of elevated status. We are just one of many species indigenous to this planet, we just happen to be overly brainy. I constantly walked the emotional line, wondering if I was doing more harm than good.

I'm not a hard core animal rights person,I eat meat and I wear leather shoes. I understand that when I sit down to my chicken dinner I am consuming what once was a living, breathing being. As an omnivorous member of the food chain, I'm comfortable with that (although I am not comfortable with the huge industries that bring those chickens to our tables...That is a subject for another day.)

However, I don't feel that we have the right to treat our fellow life forms with complete callous disregard. The life of a cow is just as important to that cow as my life is to me. A tree that has survived decades is deserving of respect, as is the natural algae populations of a lake or stream. Let's face it, if all the humans disappeared off the face of the Earth tomorrow the world would continue without so much as a hiccup. On the other hand, if all the blue-green algae disappeared? We would be screwed! We humans are not nearly so important as we would like to believe.

So, I continued working in research with a conflicted heart. I did everything in my power to make certain that the animals in my care were comfortable and as happy as possible (I even made a point of letting the dogs out for play time on a daily basis...Something many of my co-workers thought was a waste of time.)

After three years I was presented with an opportunity to move to another city. I jumped at the chance, went back into private veterinary practice and have never looked back. I still don't know how I feel about those years I worked in research. Life is so full of grey areas, it would be nice if everything was clearly defined and every decision we make was obviously right or wrong but I guess we all must muddle through and do the best we can.
posted by GodlessMom, 6:14 AM

11 Comments:

Blogger Saur♥Kraut said:

I often have the same thoughts and conflict as you do. I do believe humans are better than the other animals, however. But, not enough to justify exploiting them. So, I believe that if you hunt (which I abhor) then by all means, eat it and use the skin but don't waste that life. And I minimize the meats that I and my family eat. I don't mind leather, as it's a by-product of the food.

But what I really, really hate is when an animal is used for unecessary lab research. There is always necessary research, but the continued repetition of a test that has already established a well-known fact is wrong. I am reminded of the Mary Kay cosmetics brouhaha that erupted in the 80s. If you recall, they were testing cosmetics on animals that didn't need to be tested because prior tests had already been done. Now that was wrong.
Posted at 7:06 AM  

Blogger Kyahgirl said:

I can empathize with your conflict. I agree with much of what you said too-humans aren't inherently better than any other species.
I am quite conflicted about animals in research. On one hand, I've seen many important developments from the work, but it seems so easy to cross the line and just waste the animal resources on unnecessary testing.
When I worked for the Radiochemical company, I was making organic tracers with 'hot' iodine. This was used for imaging the heart. They tested it on dogs. I always fretted about those dogs, worried about the life they lead. I never got to see them so never knew. I'm glad I'm not in that work anymore. It just hurts the psyche too much.
Posted at 9:19 AM  

Blogger Zeppellina said:

Good post, Godlessmom.

I also don`t believe that humans are `better` than other animals on the planet, and as we have little or no understanding of the creatures with which we share this planet, we couldn`t possibly have any real notion of how we compare.

Personally,I am a carnivore,despite wishing to see a little better treatment of the animals we farm and rear to eat.
When it comes to medical science, most animal testing could be done away with now, as we have better methods.
However, there are still some areas where research on animals are needed to find cures for human ailments.
I hope that one day we will find other methods of doing this, but until then, the research will have to continue.

Strange, tonight we watched a movie, on TV, called Signs, (fairly mediocre) about aliens who come to Earth to harvest and eat humans.
The strange thing was the surprise and horror of the humans.
Why?
As creatures, we eat most other living creatures on this planet, and any visiting life form to this planet would see us for what we are, which is carnivourous predators.
If humans were to discover life on another planet, sooner or later, we would ask,
"What do they taste like?".

We only judge by ability to communicate with us. If we were to discover wandering herds of Martians, if they squeaked, barked, mooed or grunted, we`d all be eating Martian stew by the following week!

And we are the `intelligent`species!

I wouldn`t feel bad about your former work, Godlessmom, life takes us to strange places and shows us interesting things.

Good post.
Posted at 5:09 PM  

Blogger TLP said:

I agree with what you say. I do NOT believe that we are better than other beings. But I eat meat.

I'm conflicted as you are. Life is full of flaws.
Posted at 6:11 PM  

Blogger dAAve said:

I think you did just fine. Before, during and after. This is (or could be) an unwinnable argument. There is no right or wrong. Only opinions. It just is.
Posted at 6:13 PM  

Blogger Lila said:

Good post. Well, I'm a major animal lover. But the research can sometimes be hard to argue against. It's hard to draw the lines.

Truly, life lives on life, even if all you eat is plants. It's part of the order of our planet. I'm a vegetarian, but I recognize that this is the basic nature of the earth. There are no quick answers.

At a minimum, I try to make the lives of the animals in my world -- even those annoying human animals -- a little better when I can.
Posted at 8:51 PM  

Blogger The Lazy Iguana said:

You have to do what you have to do in order to keep available funds in the checking account.

So, we all need jobs. We all need to buy food, and pay rent or a mortgage.

I am glad you are involved with work you like better now. I can say I am in the same boat, but I never really worked for the private sector in a real job.

All my real jobs have been government jobs. And the government job I have now, for the local government, I like the best.

Local government is the most accountable to the public. I work for the residents of Miami-Dade County, not against them.
Posted at 9:58 PM  

Blogger Kristie said:

I also agree with you in that us Humans aren't all that special. - you're also right- if we disappeared tomorrow, the earth wouldnt blink, but we and the earth would notice something as "lowly" as algae. I understand your mixed feelings about the research, it seems to be a necessary evil. I am Happy meat eater...I hope that when i buy the meat that says free roam, grain fed, etc that its true. I dont think that its fair the way we raise our "food"...

You did the right thing by moving onto a new job you can enjoy more. Now you can help the animals feel better...:)
Posted at 7:46 AM  

Blogger Saur♥Kraut said:

Swifty, my belief is due to religious beliefs. If you don't have those beliefs, you won't agree (which is fine with me). Yet even setting aside religious beliefs, I think a case can be made for the superiority of the human species. Specifically, we have higher IQs, developed communication, a sense of self and others, and mores and morals that animals simply don't share.

However, I would like to point out that if we weren't superior, we would be in the meat processing plants. Since the cows don't have this part figured out yet, I think my case is made.
Posted at 9:27 AM  

Blogger Saur♥Kraut said:

Swifty, then we can agree to disagree.
Posted at 10:44 AM  

Blogger Lucy Stern said:

I probably would have had a hard time working in that enviroment too. I probably would have become too attached to those animals and would have been out of there. I'm glad you went back in to vetinary care. Now you are able to help the animals.
Posted at 5:22 AM  

Add a comment