Godless Mom in the Bible Belt

Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Bible study according to GodlessMom

My parents had a very difficult time with my education. The public schools in our area of Salt Lake City were dismal at best with class sizes out of control and teachers stretched to the limit.

Although Daddy was a mechanic and Mom was a secretary they managed to pull together enough money to send me to private schools. I was a middle-of-the-road student and I did my best to fade into the woodwork in whatever environment they placed me.

In fifth grade, at the age of ten, I was sent to Anchor Christian Academy. It was a funky place, each child was given an "office" (a small desk with walls which separated one child from the next...Kind of like the study desks in libraries.) If we needed the attention of a teacher we would place a colored block on the shelf above our desk. The teachers would then go around the room looking for blocks and answering questions. The work was largely self-directed. The curriculum consisted of "Pace" books which the student would study independently, moving ahead at their own speed. At the time I loved science and social studies and hated math, so by the end of the school year I was several grades ahead in my favorite subjects and a grade behind in the one I didn't like. Academically it didn't work out well for me.

However, there was one seriously cool perk in attending a funky Baptist school. These guys were REALLY big on memorizing Bible verse. At the beginning of each week we would be assigned a chapter of the Bible to memorize. I assume the chapters were chosen for their spiritually uplifting and morally educational qualities. However, this meant nothing to me. I was interested in the extra recess time I would earn by dutifully reciting the verse. Five minutes for the first third of the chapter, ten minutes for the first two thirds of the chapter and 15 whole minutes of extra recess time for memorizing the entire thing! While most kids took the entire week to memorize the first few lines, I would approach the challenge with complete determination and would recite the entire thing within 24 hours.

As a result I have large portions of the Bible committed to memory. I couldn't tell you exactly what chapters I have memorized, that information has left my brain under the crush of relevant information. However, occasionally I will hear a verse or read a bit of the book and the words will flood my brain with the familiarity of a well worn pair of jeans.

The exercise obviously didn't have the intended effect, I'm sure my instructors at Anchor Baptist would be sorely disappointed in the way I've turned out. However, one really cool thing did come of all that extra recess time. I got really good at shooting a basketball backwards over my head from the free throw line! A kid has to do something when they are the only one who earned extra recess time!
posted by GodlessMom, 12:45 PM

13 Comments:

Blogger concerned citizen said:

Hey thanks for reading my story, BTW! It sounds like you've had some religious 'experiances' also.
Believe it or not when my oldest daughter was 12 she was having some real diff. because of a tragic thing that happened to her. I had to take her out of school for her sanity (& safety) We knew some Mennonite people who home-schooled their children w/that curriculum(pace style)so i did it w/her. I let her skip the bible verse memorizing, tho. The sceince part was funny, they always avoided dinosaurs & any talk of any type of evolution.
I 'll talk more about the situation later.
I acually became a born again Christian during that crisis(after all I'd gone thro in my childhood w/religion, go figure)& taught some classes,etc... but could not believe & had no faith either. Now I'm just Agnostic
Posted at 8:29 AM  

Blogger Kristie said:

I went to catholic sunday school, and altho i never had to memorize entire chapters of the bible (in fact it was only when i got a little older that catholics were told they could read the bible at all)....But it is nice to have the things i was taught to fall back on when "discussing" religion with other Christians. (ya know the ones trying to shove it down your throat, and are quoting the scripture wrong and out of context...) or even to be able to discuss it rationally and inteligently with someone else...its nice to have "facts" burned into my memory. :)
Posted at 8:44 AM  

Blogger TLP said:

Good post! Very interesting.

I was in church school every Sunday. We did do some memorizing of the Bible, but I don't remember much of it.

But if you ever need to know the books of the Bible (in order), I can sing them for you. Have to sing them. Can't do them otherwise. LOL
Posted at 12:31 PM  

Blogger Saur♥Kraut said:

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Posted at 2:12 PM  

Blogger Saur♥Kraut said:

I blurted out something that didn't sound tactful, and that's why I removed it.

What I was basically trying to say (but it didn't come out too well, upon reflection) was that sometimes people become atheistic due to unfortunate childhoods where religion is improperly taught or crammed down their throats.

Of course the argument is often that the religion is simply unbelievable, but I've known people who have finally come to say that their reason for rejection of all faiths was due to unfortunate childhood experiences.

I think it's like kids who grow up hating history because they had rotten history teachers.

There's my two cents' worth.
Posted at 2:24 PM  

Blogger Kristie said:

I completely agree with Saurkraut...I know for a long time I said i beleived in nothing, but that was exactly becuase of poor experiences in my middle-school years. Now, i am not sure exactly what i believe in, and i like it this way. I guess i am sorta agnostic, but not quite. But thats ok with me. I am not saying i dont beleieve becuase of bad experiences anymore, i say it cuz i am not sure i beleive. Period.
Posted at 2:31 PM  

Blogger CyberKitten said:

Though both of my parents were non-practicing Catholics I was intentially sent to Church of England (Protestant) schools because of their basic lack of religious teaching. Worked a treat with me - I turned out an atheist....
Posted at 3:02 PM  

Blogger dddragon said:

I started questioning God's existence when I was five or six. Not actively looking, but not turning a blind eye, either. The older I get and the more I see and experience, the more I become convinced that there is no God.

If there is a Bibical God, then I'm pissed at him. I'd rather that the Deists are right.
Posted at 3:08 PM  

Blogger Watson Woodworth said:

When I attended the Godless Americans March On Washington three years ago I kind of stood out because I had had almost no religious instruction whatsoever, but was not raised by Atheists.
A small number of younger marchers were second generaton Atheists and most of the others were either former True Believers, for whom faith was still a large portion of their thoughts, and some who were raised in oppressive religious environments.

I got to share a hotel room with a former pentacostal and true blue hippie. Very Movement, I was just out for a good time.
Posted at 4:59 PM  

Blogger GodlessMom said:

Saur,

The experience I related here was a not a negative one in any respect. I memorized Bible verse, got extra recess time and became good at shooting free throws backwards. It was actually kind of fun.

I was never molested by a priest, I was never beaten by nuns. While my upbringing included quite a bit of religious teaching, it was never negative or oppressive. I belonged to a religious minority as a child, being non-mormon in Utah, and while that occassionally had it's drawbacks I wouldn't call it negative.

I'm an athiest because over the years this is where my spiritual journey has taken me. Not because of any bad experience which drove me away from the Christian God.

I understand what you are saying, there are "atheists" out there who have given up faith as a reaction to some negative experience. I am not one of those.

I have no negative emotions regarding faith or religion in particular. I do not care what people believe, if it gives their life meaning and makes them feel better about their existence then who am I to judge? However, I do get very angry when people try to shove their beliefs down my throat.
Posted at 5:26 PM  

Blogger Saur♥Kraut said:

Godless Mom, yes, I hate the belief-forced-feeders. That goes not only for religion but other beliefs and philosophies. My wish is always: Let's discuss, but let's always be respectful and agree to disagree. ;o)
Posted at 8:07 PM  

Blogger United We Lay said:

Saur,
I understand what you;re saying about bad teachers making bad subjects, but there are other things involved. I always thought the God thing was wrong. I had bad experiences with Christians, sure, but not all of my experiences were bad. I just never believed any of the God stuff. It all sounded like a myth to me. It's a great story, but to actually expect me to believe it is crazy.
Posted at 9:01 PM  

Blogger Linda Jones Malonson said:

Believing and disbelieving there is a God is a touchy subject. I really don't know where I fit, but I can say this with surety ... I believe in everything and nothing, and it works for me.

Now some may call my beliefs a cop-out, and I understand. It doesn’t bother me how one label my beliefs because they are my beliefs, and I am so used to labels. Yes I was forced feed religions and lied to, and questioned a God that did not relieve my suffering, but still I was a church girl, woman, working hard to serve whatever God they put up in my face ... anything to stop the pain. I have been to almost every church, and was a member of most. The pain and suffering never ended. The abuse never stopped.

Now, old and full of what I call "a little wisdom" making my own choices without outside influences, having no expectations, or trying to impress anyone, I have come to the fork in the road, found my own truth, put aside juding others ... and I believe in everything and nothing.
Posted at 6:46 AM  

Add a comment