Godless Mom in the Bible Belt

Thursday, May 05, 2005

TiVo and motherhood

My husband, Scott is a serious technophile. He manages the IT department here in Houston for a big international company so his life is pretty much filled with the latest information on the latest gadgets and the latest toys.

A few years ago when our VCR gave up the ghost he mentioned replacing it with TiVo instead of just buying another VCR. I was more than a bit dubious, it seemed like a silly gadget that I would never really use. I mean, who really needs to pause television or rewind or fast-forward while they are watching TV. If you want to fast-forward, just watch a DVD, right?

Well, we got the TiVo and I've never looked back. TiVo was meant for parents! When your child has just discovered a really cool bug in the backyard or built a great blanket tent in the bedroom or has just figured out how to write the letter K, you can stop everything you are doing and celebrate with them even if you are watching the season finale of Survivor or Desperate Housewives. Just hit the pause button and you can leave the television, attend to your parenting duties and then return to your program without missing so much as a Zoloft commercial.

And speaking of Zoloft commercials, are you as sick of them as I am? That is what fast-forward is for! If you want to watch CSI, just wait until 8:15 on Thursday evenings. Then you can watch the entire episode without commercial interruption, just fast forward past the Zoloft.

Liz likes Prehistoric Planet and Magic School Bus on Discovery Kids, but they aren't always shown at times that are convenient for us to watch. I just set the TiVo to record the desired episodes and Bob's Your Uncle I have quality programming available for my child whenever I want it.

Now, I personally don't watch Desperate Housewives or Survivor or CSI. I'm a Smallville, Daily Show and Deadwood kind of gal (and I'm chomping at the bit for the next season of Sopranos.) And I've got to tell you, since I set the above mentioned programs up to record on a "Season Pass" I haven't missed a single one.

Don't fight the TiVo....TiVo good.
posted by GodlessMom, 8:00 PM

0 Comments:

Add a comment