Godless Mom in the Bible Belt

Wednesday, May 04, 2005

What could have been a bad day

This morning, after I dropped Scott off at work I stopped at a red light. Liz was talking to me so I turned around to look at her at which point my foot slipped off the brake and I rolled into the car in front of me. Not a big deal, barely a scratch on either car(I might have been going 1/2 a mile per hour) but it made me feel like a complete idiot. It didn't help that the woman driving the car was one of these shiny, happy types and she wouldn't get off her damned cell phone so I could talk to her.

I was really stressed about what Scott would say when I told him, I had myself tied in knots about it.

My father was trying to get me to help him with his crossword puzzle and I just wasn't in the right frame of mind. I was getting very annoyed.

Liz was doing her four year old thing, demanding my attention and complaining when I didn't jump at her every whim.

At one point, Liz was asking me to do fifty things at once and I firmly told her that I was on the verge of being in a very bad mood and I asked her to go easy on me. You know what? She did! She went into the office and drew a picture of us holding hands, then she came up and gave me a big hug and a kiss and went out of her way to be quiet and undemanding the rest of the day.

My father took Liz for a walk so I could have some alone time, then he proceeded to fold all of the laundry that I was unable to finish.

Scott took the news of my accident with good humor and kindness. I don't know why I was worried he would do otherwise, he is the most decent person I know. He also came home, cooked dinner for all of us and did the dishes.

My family didn't need to be asked to cover for me when I wasn't at my best. They simply sensed that I needed help and they stepped up to the plate. I am so fortunate to be surrounded by such loving and supportive people.
posted by GodlessMom, 7:58 PM

0 Comments:

Add a comment