Godless Mom in the Bible Belt

Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Another penguin post

I saw the most amazing movie yesterday, The March of the Penguins. It is a French documentary (the US version is narrated by Morgan Freeman) that follows the Emperor Penguin through it's breeding season in Antarctica.

I can't tell you how impressed I was with this movie! I have a whole new respect for penguins and a whole new respect for documentary film makers.

Anyone who has ever watched a penguin swim can attest to the fact that in the water these animals are poetry in motion. On the land however, they are rather comical to watch. So I found it completely amazing that these guys WALK over 70 miles inland each year from the edge of the ice in Antarctica to their breeding grounds. They are monogamous during the breeding season and the incredible lengths each pair of birds goes through to bring a chick into the world will leave you floored!

I saw this movie at my local multi-plex, so it is out there and easily accessible. If you get a chance you should definitely see this one!
posted by GodlessMom, 6:47 AM

12 Comments:

Blogger Valerie said:

You are right. It is a great movie! It has all the emotion and suspense of any great movie. I really enjoyed watching it.
Posted at 8:38 AM  

Blogger dAAve said:

Yes, I plan to see it. From what I've heard about it, penguins go to almost as much trouble to have sex as I do!! Poor things. At least it doesn't cost them a dinner or two.
Posted at 9:14 AM  

Blogger United We Lay said:

Did they talk about the gay penguins?
Posted at 9:15 AM  

Blogger Aerodynamicist said:

Thank you for explaining what the movie was about! The commercials aren't very informative. I'm excited to see it when it gets to the dollar theatre.
Posted at 9:23 AM  

Blogger Kim said:

You are so right. This movie was amazing! Nature at its most awe inspiring.
Posted at 9:24 AM  

Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said:

We saw that movie in Miami. It was truly amazing, and beautifully filmed as well.

Have a great day.
Posted at 9:37 AM  

Blogger Fred said:

Thanks for the tip. I haven't heard of this one.

On the lighter side, here's a video of an evil penguin.
Posted at 5:57 PM  

Blogger Lila said:

Thanks for the movie recommendation! I'll have to check it out.

It's amazing how some animals are very awkward much of the time, but beautiful in motion. To me, horses and greyhounds are like that. They're kinda gangly and strange when they're just hanging around, but they're beautiful when they run!

I suppose some homely human athletes are sort of like that too, but I'm not namin' names.
Posted at 7:16 PM  

Blogger TLP said:

Thanks for the reminder. I do want to see it. I love nature stuff anyway, and this is getting wonderful reviews.
Posted at 9:15 PM  

Blogger Urban Chick said:

several years ago the BBC here commissioned a fantastic documentary called 'life in the freezer' which covered the life of penguins - it was brilliant

we went out and bought the video so we could watch it again

will have to look out for the movie though now...
Posted at 6:07 AM  

Blogger Zeppellina said:

Many years ago, a family from England were on holiday here in Scotland, and visited Edinburgh Zoo, where they have the famous Penguin walk through the zoo each day.
As they were driving home, they were amazed that their normally unruly wee boy was very quiet in the back of the car, but put it down to him perhaps being tired.
When they got home, the boy disappeared upstairs and was still unusually quiet.
His mum went looking for him, and as she opened the bathrom door was horrified to see a full size penguin standing in 2 inches of water in the bath!
The wee boy had somehow skillfully grabbed a penguin, and had brought it home with him!
Edinburgh zoo were shocked, amused, and just glad to get one of their penguins back!!!
Posted at 4:34 PM  

Blogger Blueberry said:

Just saw this one. Really great!! I hope the DVD has some stuff on what the humans went through to film it. I mean, it's tough for penguins but Antarctica in winter for humans.... no tent or coat would be quite warm enough.
Posted at 10:00 AM  

Add a comment