Godless Mom in the Bible Belt

Monday, August 01, 2005

Our Weekend Slumber Party

Liz is at an age where she hates bedtime. Every evening when the clock hits 7:00 we let her know that bedtime is imminent and every evening she lets us know that she REALLY doesn't want to go to bed. This exchange has become so predictable that we actually factor the time it consumes into the whole bedtime routine.

Now Liz is a really good kid, she is has a very sweet temper and is actually quite reasonable for a four year old. So last week when she tried to use logic rather than whining to persuade us to let her stay up late we decided to let her have a taste of no-bedtime freedom. Scott told her that we would have a slumber party and she could stay up until she fell asleep on her own. Little did we know how her mind would take the idea and run with it!

We scheduled our slumber party for Saturday night. She had the entire thing planned in her head, we would eat her favorite foods, play her favorite games, watch birds and bake a cake. After dark we would take the telescope outside and look at the moon and the stars then it would be time for Xbox, movies and popcorn.

She was determined to spend the night in the living room and I was determined to sleep comfortably. I pulled the mattress off the guest bed and put it on the living room floor next to the sofa. We played Hi Ho Cherry-O and chess, we baked a cake and spent time playing Harry Potter on the Xbox. Finally, as 9:00 approached her eyes started getting heavy and her yawns came more frequently we all put on our pajamas and sat down on the mattress to watch The Incredibles. By 9:45 she was asleep on the sofa.

Scott and I continued to quietly putter around until about 11:00 then we both crashed on the mattress on the living room floor.

A couple of hours later I awoke to Liz climbing over me. I told her to climb back up on the sofa and go back to sleep. She immediately started protesting, saying that she had been told she could stay up as late as she possible and that she wanted to watch Barbie Fairytopia. It took me at least 15 minutes to get her back to sleep, she then proceeded to wake up every hour or two and ask if it was time to watch Fairytopia.

On top of the four-year-old with the Fairytopia obsession I also had to deal with a cat who couldn't quite figure out why the whole family was on the floor in the living room. He decided that I was his personal scratching post and spent the better part of the night digging his claws into my thighs.

Finally at 6AM I decided that it just wasn't worth the effort. I put the Fairytopia DVD in the player, made myself a pot of coffee and took the geriatric dog outside to pee.

The next time my husband plans a slumber party with our four year old I think I'll go have a slumber party of my own at the local Hilton.
posted by GodlessMom, 5:52 AM

10 Comments:

Blogger S said:

Oh I can soo relate to this senario. Gryphon (5 1/2) goes through the "I don't want to go to bed" drama almost every night and I had to laugh when you mentioned factoring in time for the stalling and tantruming. I used to be under the impression that kids would eat when they were hungry and sleep when they were tired and so we never really had a bedtime for him when he was little. This acutally suited us all fine. Yeah he would be up till 11:00 at night, but I also got to sleep in till 9-10:00 in the AM so I saw it as a win-win. It wasn't until I realized that I never had time to be with my husband alone, that we started trying to cut it back to a more respectable bedtime. Now we start the whole routine, teeth, story, PJ's around 8:00 and usually by 9:00 he's in bed and asleep. Unfortunately there is still a lot of whining and griping... no advice there....
Posted at 6:06 AM  

Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said:

An early riser with a geriatric dog. Sounds like we have a lot in common!

Your daughter, bless her heart, sounds like a sweetheart.

Have a good day.
Posted at 7:20 AM  

Blogger The Lazy Iguana said:

Good idea! Next time book a room at a hotel.

My fat orange cat will bite the crap out of ANYONE who dares to move his rather sizeable ass while he is sleeping. So if you wake up and the cat is sleeping on you, DO NOT MOVE.
Posted at 10:00 AM  

Blogger Urban Chick said:

wow - i have this to look forward to...times two?!?! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted at 11:39 AM  

Blogger Lila said:

That's so cute! Hey, who can blame Liz? You gotta love the freedom. ;-)
Posted at 5:51 PM  

Blogger Saur♥Kraut said:

*LOL* Kids. Aren't they great? Someone once said that the reason our parents and grandparents want us to have kids is so that they can get their revenge. ;o)
Posted at 6:28 PM  

Blogger Zeppellina said:

I know that you probably didn`t get much in the way of sleep there, but what a lovely story!
Your daughter sounds wonderful, and her two parents sound as if they are fun parents....the cat just sounds like the average up to no good bundle of mischief!!
Posted at 6:31 PM  

Blogger dddragon said:

We have a senior cat who has to have his liver pill in the morning, one hour before he can eat. So even if we don't have to be anywhere in the morning, we still have to get up for the pill. And he'll let us know if we've missed his mealtime!

And Iguana - Salem, our other cat, likes to sleep on my DH's legs. DH will try to move him in order to get more comfortable, but Salem will really lay into him. For some reason, Salem will let me rearrange him.

Our answer for those "slumber parties" was that I'd sleep on the couch in the next room and let them watch tv in the family room til they fell asleep. DH would sleep upstairs.
Posted at 6:33 PM  

Blogger TLP said:

Oh, you are wonderful parents! Your daughter will always remember this slumber party.
Posted at 8:00 PM  

Blogger Fred said:

I feel the same way when somehow all three of my daughters are in alignment with a sleepover of their own. So, instead of three screaming kids, we have anywhere from six to ten.

I need the phone number to that Hilton.
Posted at 9:56 PM  

Add a comment