Godless Mom in the Bible Belt

Thursday, November 24, 2005

My Very Dearest Guest Blogger

Hey Everyone, I'd like to introduce you to my hubby Scott! He has generously agreed to be my guest blogger today!


Happy Thanksgiving!!
By Scott (GodlessDad)

Today is the one day of the year that I get to do a lot of cooking. I'm a big fan of cooking, I just don't have much time these days to spend hours in the kitchen. This morning I'm making three pies (mince meat, pumpkin and apple). This afternoon is the rest of the Thanksgiving dinner for the family including deep fried turkey. If you've never had a fried turkey for Thanksgiving, I highly suggest you don't unless you're ready to switch permanently. The difference is that big. You will never again want to eat baked turkey on Thanksgiving, or any other time for that matter.

This is in sharp contrast to a totally different taste experience I tried five years ago. It was the first Thanksgiving GodlessMom and I spent living in Houston. Not being a Southerner by birth, I have to admit I've developed quite a taste for much of the cuisine. I love cajun food. I love grits. I even like okra, be it in gumbo, batter fried, or with tomatoes. I'm a huge BBQ fan and I love Pecan Pie. So when a friend at work suggested I prepare another Southern taste sensation for my family's Thanksgiving dinner, I was intrigued.

Enter: The Turducken.

Now, if you live on either coast or up in the Midwest, land of beige food, you've probably never heard of a Turducken. I never had. Basically, it's a chicken in a duck in a turkey. I'll let that sink in and repeat it for dramtic effect:

A chicken.
Stuffed into a duck.
Stuffed into a turkey.

It's a simple concept really, although you have to wonder about the sanity of the person who first came up with it, let alone the circumstances surrounding its invention.

"Well here it is Thanksgiving. Ma likes duck. The kids like chicken. But I sure can't pass up on the traditional turkey for this special day. Dern, I'm plum short on cookin' space. If only there was a way to cook all them birds at once...."

A lightbulb moment that would have been best had it never occured.

GodlessMom was skeptical from the beginning but I was undeterred. I found a local butcher who prepared this bizarre contruction and pre-ordered one for about $80.

I started to get worried when I picked it up. It wasn't shaped like a turkey at all, it was in a plastic sleeve that looked like a sandbag - only it was heavier. The instructions said to bake it for 11 hours. Damn. Dinner was scheduled for 5:00, so you can do the math on that one. Upon inspecting the ingredients, I noticed that not only were there three birds crammed inside one another, but two different types of stuffing. One of them was cornbread, no problem there. The other was andouille sausage, a delicious cajun creation (pronounced An-Dew-Eee) but not exactly something I was expecting to find inside my frankenbird. I quickly scanned the rest of the ingredients, having decided to draw the line at four different animals in my Thanksgiving meal. Fortunately they had the sense to leave out the rack of lamb.

I dutifully woke up at 5:00 AM to load the birdcube into the oven. Further alarm bells began to ring as the aroma was not exactly what we were accustomed to. Gone was the comforting, traditional smell of roasting fowl. It was replaced with the not-quite-so soothing cocktail of boiling duck oil and fried sausage. It came out of the oven golden brown, but when it was time to carve it I didn't wind up with the perfect little three-layer slices of poulty promised by the packaging. It really just sort of fell apart as if the three birds had finally had enough of this horrific abomination.

Suffice to say it was a total disaster. The in-laws were very polite and nodded their heads before sneaking off to the other room to see if Domino's was still open. Everyone went after the turkey, looking for the pieces that hadn't been contaminated with duck oil. It was the first Thanksgiving on record with no leftover stuffing, potatoes or veggies. At least the pie was good.

So, yeah, go with the fried turkey.
posted by GodlessMom, 11:17 AM

9 Comments:

Blogger Kyahgirl said:

What a great post GodlessDad. I'm laughing out loud at the image of the 'abomination'.

Several years ago we were lucky enough to have a fellow from Louisiana working with us here for quite some time. He showed us all (about 80 people) in the plant how do 'do turkey'. We set up big pots of peanut oil in the machine shop on a big gas stove and deep fried two turkeys in them. It was the best turkey I've ever had.

Enjoy your day!
Posted at 12:58 PM  

Blogger The Lazy Iguana said:

I have heard many stories of the frakenbird creation.

But it always sounded like too darn much work for me. I have to keep the up my lazy reputation you know!

So I agree, just fry the turkey - or smoke the turkey.

Fried turkey cooks super fast (you can go from a 20 pound raw bird to fully cooked in al ittle over 1 hour). It is also super good! But then you have to deal with several gallons of oil.

Smoked turkey takes ALL DAY, but the end result is also super yummy. The bird gets a dark red color from all the smoke, and it smells great. Grill cleanup is just dumping out some ashes. Electric smokers are good for lazy people like myself, all you do is chuck some more soaking wet wood chunks in every so often.

Try the smoker next year.
Posted at 1:23 PM  

Blogger dddragon said:

I've also heard of the chicken-duck-turkey thing, don't remember where. In Girl Scout leader training we learned out to cook a whole chicken in a steel bucket (but not fried) and one of the trainers told us that one Thanksgiving her oven quit on her. She cooked the turkey in a metal trash can on the driveway.

I'm culinarily challenged, so most any of these methods are beyond me.

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you!!
Posted at 6:31 PM  

Blogger Fred said:

Good for you to even try. I'm responsible for the turkey; The Missus does everything else. My specialty is to place bacon on top of the bird. The flavor isn't too overpowering, but gives it a bit of an addditional flavor.

And you made three pies to boot?

Sorry it didn't work out as planned, though. Maybe next year the in-laws will volunteer to do the whole thing and you can sit back and relax and watch football. (Dallas should have won today, it was a tough loss.)

Good to meet you!
Posted at 8:28 PM  

Blogger Kristie said:

I agree, once you go fried, you never go back. But my mom always bakes a small one just she can have the "in-the-bird-stuffing". Cuz its just tastier that way. So we always have my dad's cajun seasoned deep fried turkey (mmmmm) and the other turkey and the "in the bird" best stuffing ever! Its great. Now, you're frankenbird doesnt sound too yummy. Stick with the fried...
Posted at 10:30 PM  

Blogger Zeppellina said:

Hello Godlessdad!

What a great posting!
I also like Okra. We love our Indian food here in the Uk, and Okra is a popular ingredient in Indian cuisine.

Have to confess, I never did like Turkey, always found it too bland, but, love duck, and chicken, so I was riveted to your description of the 3 together.

Shame it didn`t work out, but worth a try!!!

The first time I ever cooked Goose, I didn`t realise that you were supposed to scald the bird first with boiling water.......I had to put baking tray after baking tray underneath to catch the unbelievably large quantities of hot fat pouring out of it as it was cooking in the oven!
Just how you want to spend xmas day!!!

But sounds as if you all had a really good day!
And good to hear of a man doing the cooking!

Good post, Godlessdad!
Posted at 7:13 AM  

Blogger Saur♥Kraut said:

This post is a treasure. I actually laughed out loud over this: It really just sort of fell apart as if the three birds had finally had enough of this horrific abomination.


I grew up here, but Florida isn't really the deep south any more than Illinois or New York are (it's all yankee transplants and there are very few 1st generation Floridians over the age of 40). So, although I like lots of southern foods, the only place to really get the authentic stuff is in Georgia or Alabama (or MAYBE the panhandle). I've never run across such a frankenbird before. I'll take this as a cautionary tale.
Posted at 11:19 AM  

Blogger Lucy Stern said:

Godless Dad, Great to meet you! I have heard of the Turducken. They sell them at the HEB store I go to. I have heard that they are pretty good though. $80.00 Yeks!

Last year we had a fried turkey. It was really good, but my family wanted me to do a traditional turkey this year. I found a 22 lb. bird at Krogers and it turned out great. I like stuffing my bird too. It just has that extra flavor.

I have never eaten a mince meat pie before but I have heard they are good.

Hope you and the family had a great thanksgiving. Did you have family from up north come visit?
Posted at 12:35 AM  

Blogger Linda Jones Malonson said:

I can see I have been away for awhile .. everything changed!

Nice to meet you Godless Dad .. and what a jewel of a family story! I laughed until I cried. This year I had most of the family over and it was amazing to see everyone eating and enjoying themselves peacefully. Maybe it was that fried turkey... sure was good.

Loves the color of the blog Godless Mom!
Posted at 5:29 AM  

Add a comment