Godless Mom in the Bible Belt

Saturday, November 19, 2005

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (no real spoilers.)

We saw Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire yesterday. I enjoyed the film but it wasn't quite as good as The Prisoner of Azkaban.

There was plenty of excitement and several great scenes with incredible special effects. However, this film lacked some of the heart and emotion which has been so present in the other films. Up until now the films have definitely made the viewer feel the progression of the Hogwarts school year and hence the progression of the interpersonal relationships of the characters over that time period. Goblet of Fire lacks that school-year feeling, instead the focus is on the adventure of the Tournament. As a result there are times in the film when the relationships between the characters seem ham-handed and plastic.

It is definitely worth seeing. Emma Watson has really grown into quite a young beauty, Daniel Radcliffe has lost the rounded cuteness of youth and now possesses very chiseled good looks, Rupert Grint has left behind any adolescent gawkiness and has become a very handsome (and very tall) young man (I admit it...I'm a sucker for that red hair!) For some reason I've gotten a big kick out of watching these kids grow up! Once again the supporting roles really flesh out the movie (Alan Rickman and Maggie Smith are great.) If you like dragons you won't want to miss the special effects in this one!
posted by GodlessMom, 7:22 PM

7 Comments:

Blogger Brandon said:

Seems like everyone is seeing this movie this weekend. I enjoyed reading your thoughts on it. I wrote about it too at http://tuesdaymovienight.blogspot.com/
Posted at 10:22 PM  

Blogger Saur♥Kraut said:

I can't wait to see it. A guy who contributes in my blog (Eddo) loved it. But you have some interesting points. I've never liked it when the books focused too much on Quidditch and when I read this book I remember feeling the same, slight disappointment. Still, I can't wait to see the special effects!
Posted at 8:19 AM  

Blogger Fred said:

I going to see it next week. I wanted to try and avoid the crowds. I agree, it has been fun to watch them grow up. I wonder if this is the last movie for them?
Posted at 1:22 PM  

Blogger TLP said:

I loved the books, and all the other movies. Alan Rickman...*drool*.
Posted at 2:41 PM  

Blogger Lila said:

Thanks for the review. I'm looking forward to seeing it!
Posted at 5:33 PM  

Blogger United We Lay said:

It shopuld have been a two parter.
Posted at 5:57 PM  

Blogger Lucy Stern said:

My kids went and saw it Sunday night....Bonnie thought it was kind of "chopped" up, trying to get as much in as they could. It was a very long book and they had a hard time getting it all in. I will probably see it when it comes out on DVD.
Posted at 2:45 AM  

Add a comment