Godless Mom in the Bible Belt

Monday, May 16, 2005

Pork Chops and Applesauce

Forgive me a moment while I brag about my child!

Liz eats her vegetables! I don't mean just corn and carrots, I mean the hard-core veggies like broccoli, artichokes, spinach and asparagus. She also eats spicy foods, unusual foods, foods fixed in unfamiliar ways and food that just plain looks weird. She has a very brave and experimental palate, she doesn't always like things but she always gives them a try. If you've ever hung around a four year old, you know how unusual this is. I can't take credit for it, I'm not Supermom in the dietary department, it just seems to be an inherent part of her personality.

My daughter's genius in this area leads me to another rant.

I am annoyed (almost to the level of intolerance) by adults who are unreasonably picky eaters. Now we all have foods we dislike, I'm not particularly fond of eggs or cauliflower, but I eat them.

I'm not talking about people who dislike a couple of foods or people who have chosen a particular diet style ala Vegan or Atkins. I'm talking about the guy at the office who ruins lunchtime for everyone because he refuses to go to that great Japanese place and instead makes everyone go for burgers all the time. I'm talking about the person who will sit and poke at their plate in a restaurant because someone had the nerve to put summer squash on it. Or how about the person who has never tried catfish and refuses on the grounds that catfish are ugly animals while this person sits there devouring halibut.

I know so many adults who decided when they were 7 years old that they hate (insert food here.) They go their entire life without ever challenging that belief. Every time that food is placed in front of them, even if they are a guest at someone's home, they turn up their noses and grimace.

I have two words for this type of person. Grow up! Life is a great adventure, and food is a wonderful part of it. No one expects you to like every food, but at least give it a try! Be brave, leave the safety of your Number 5 Extra Value Meal and try the curry!
posted by GodlessMom, 3:57 AM

3 Comments:

Blogger dddragon said:

I'm married to one. Supposedly because of traumatic childhood incidents, he wouldn't eat peas or lima beans. (Which would include succotash.) When our kids were preschoolers, I finally told him he was a horrible example to them and he better at least pretend to like these vegetables.

I at least will eat broccoli with cheese on it ;-)
Posted at 6:53 AM  

Blogger GodlessMom said:

Mmmmm. Lima beans.

My husband has to pretend to like raisins! Isn't it funny what we'll do for our kids?
Posted at 7:52 AM  

Blogger dAAve said:

I hate brocolli.

I love spinach.

(you know, it's hard to find a word that rhymes with spinach)
Posted at 8:05 PM  

Add a comment