Godless Mom in the Bible Belt

Thursday, May 12, 2005

WWTOD? What would Tony Orlando do?

There is something that has been bothering me lately (something that has little or nothing to do with parenting) and I'm feeling a bit militant today so bear with me for a second, okay?

You know those ribbon car magnets that everyone and their SUV seem to be sporting now-days? I'm sure you've seen them, there are many variations. I've seen pink breast cancer awareness ribbons and rainbow-colored gay rights ribbons, I even saw a white one with black paw prints in support of the Humane Society. Pick a cause, any cause and someone has made a car magnet for it.

The ones I'd like to rant about however are the originals, the yellow "Support the Troops" ribbons.

Support the Troops? What does that mean exactly? I've seen gung-ho Bush supporters sporting that one on their Escalades (sorry Pope) and I've seen die-hard peace activists sporting them on their hybrids. Of course we should support our troops. Regardless of a person's position on the war I have yet to hear anyone blame the troops for the current mess. The troops are our friends, neighbors, family, lovers. They signed up for the armed services, perhaps to further their education or support their families but with the knowledge that they would be expected to defend the country if the time came. How can a person not be supportive of such individuals?

In my opinion the sentiment is hackneyed and meaningless. It is a safe way of saying to everyone, "I really care what is going on in the world" without having to commit oneself to a real opinion and without having to suffer the consequences of taking a stand.
posted by GodlessMom, 8:53 AM

8 Comments:

Blogger admin said:

Look, my Escalade has nothing to do with my view on my economics. I just like to look good when I drive. Is that a crime?
Posted at 9:34 AM  

Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said:

Well, Tony Orlando, would probably tell you to "knock three times."

But I do know what you mean! Sometimes I think those stickers are meant more for others to see rather than their owners, i.e. like wearing a full face of make-up, unless of course, you are into your own personal vanity. People love to be a part of a desired group. Supporting causes, like the ones you mention, is definitely politically correct.

I wear a blue rubber wristband that says: Standstrong for Isreal. I have yet to see anyone with one yet! (another attempt to love being a non-mainstream thinker.)
Posted at 10:12 AM  

Blogger GodlessMom said:

My deepest apologies Holy Father, I'm sure you look HOT in the driver's seat of that Escalade!

And B, I haven't seen anyone else sporting a blue "Stand strong for Israel" wristband yet! I'll let you know if they start showing up a lot around here, we wouldn't want to start being too mainstream now, would we?

You guys crack me up.
Posted at 10:47 AM  

Blogger dddragon said:

Personally, I would like to "Support Our Troops" by having them come home.

The rubber wristbands are everywhere here - my Kiddies' school sold them in the two school colors. I have a green one for organ donation.

And maybe Tony Orlando would say "take a letter, Maria," and send it to Bush.

And we all know that the Holy Father has an image to keep up!
Posted at 11:30 AM  

Blogger GodlessMom said:

dddragon,

Welcome to my blog! I agree with you about the troops. I understand those who feel like we need to stay there until things are fixed, but right now it seems like we are part of the problem, not the solution.
Posted at 4:44 PM  

Blogger dAAve said:

I want one of the new ones that says, "I SUPPORT ATHLETICS".

It's designed in the shape of a jock strap.
Posted at 8:14 PM  

Blogger TLP said:

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Posted at 8:22 PM  

Blogger TLP said:

No ribbon mags of any color on my Hybrid Honda. I support the country, the troops, etc. But not the war. If I were to have a yellow ribbon, someone might think I support BUSH -- I'm afraid that's what I think when I see one of those ribbons. So my apologies to the folks in service, because I can't support BUSH.

Tony would tell our troops "He Don't Love You..." 'cause if he did he'd bring you home.
Posted at 8:27 PM  

Add a comment