Godless Mom in the Bible Belt

Tuesday, June 21, 2005

For what it's worth, memos on my mind.

I have written, re-written, edited and deleted this post so many times that I'm just about to the point of giving up. This is important to me though, so if you would bear with me I'd like to try and make some sense of the thoughts running through my head. They are not fully formed thoughts, they are the opaque, gelatinous thoughts that really need to cook a while longer before venturing out of my brain. However, my cranium seems to have gone into premature labor and these babies are determined to come out. So here goes.

Anyone who reads my blog regularly knows that I am a left-leaning liberal who hates George Bush, so lest you think that this is merely another GodlessMom rant (yes, I know I am prone) let me state for the record that this post is not motivated by bloodlust but by a sincere desire to know once and for all, the truth.

I love this country so much. It is my home, it holds the memories of all the things I carry in the deepest parts of my heart. When I close my eyes and picture the most beautiful things I have ever seen, I picture first my child and then the land in which I live. However, my love does not stop at the borders of this nation. I love this entire planet in all it's variety and majesty, I love our species and the other life that crawls and grows on the face of this beautiful rock. I want nothing more than for humanity to live up to it's full potential, to live in peace with each other and in harmony with Earth. As an atheist I believe this existence is all I have, this planet and this life are my heaven so it is vitally important to me that I try to do my part to bring us closer to that harmony. Right now, because of global issues I feel that this harmony I so desire has completely slipped beyond our grasp, it is a helpless and disheartening feeling.

I know there are things worth fighting for and I fully agree that the hungry and oppressed need to be assisted by those who are more fortunate. I am not so lost in my liberalism that I cannot acknowledge that some good has come out of Iraq. I'm also not so blind as to think that the scene there is all roses and success. Too many people on all sides of this conflict have suffered and died and now an increasing amount of evidence seems to show that our leaders and the leaders of our closest ally intentionally mislead us into an unnecessary war.

Things are rarely black and white, but in the approach to war in Iraq there were many options available to the citizens of the world. The Bush administration chose the route of war and the confusion in Iraq is the result. People are dying there, right now as I type this. If they are dying because of intentional lies, the administration needs to be held accountable.

I believe that in order to find the truth we need a full, independent investigation. If the administration is innocent of the charges, I will be the first to apologize but this issue is too important to just sweep away. However, those of us who dislike this administration need to truly try to keep emotion in check. This cannot be approached with passionate anger that runs amuck, that sort of thing results in flawed logic and conclusions based on emotion not fact. This cannot be about liberals trying to impeach Bush, this needs to be about Americans seeking the truth.


Doug at cyberpols has posted an excellent list of links relating to this subject.
posted by GodlessMom, 5:54 AM

16 Comments:

Blogger Meegan said:

Thanks for another beautiful post. I agree with you completely. The thing is, I feel so hopeless about this. What on earth can we do? I saw this morning that support for the war is slipping even more in the polls. But what can we do as individuals? I do want to do something but I have no idea where to begin.
Posted at 8:52 AM  

Blogger Meegan said:

One more thing. You said: "As an atheist I believe this existence is all I have, this planet and this life are my heaven so it is vitally important to me that I try to do my part to bring us closer to that harmony."

You took those words right out of my mouth. Actually, that quote is another example of something of yours I wish I had written. I'm going to save this quote because this is exactly how I feel and I've never been able to capture it in words so nicely. Thanks!
Posted at 8:54 AM  

Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said:

Beautifully expressed...

I am not as left winged as I used to be, and have mellowed with age, but my dislike for Mr. Bush runs deep.(I will not exclude Mr. Cheney) This is the most upset I have become about the direction in which our country is headed. I know what you mean about writing. But for what it is worth, which is why I made this post yesterday, the writing is FOR YOU, not necessarily for us. When I write about how I feel about what is going on in this administration, it makes ME feel better, whether articulate, accurrate or subject to change.
Posted at 10:02 AM  

Blogger Zeppellina said:

Hi there,

Thought I`d come and visit.Good site!
As you know, I am from the UK, and people here are doing a lot of soul-searching too, regarding Britain`s involvement in Iraq.
One of my American friends asked me lately if Americans were welcome as tourists...This surprised me..I think he was really concerned that people viewed all Americans now in the same light as Bush.
I can assure you, people realise that the Bush administration, like the Blair administration, are quite different from the American or British people.
I have travelled down the East coast of the US...would like to travel West on my next visit!...and I loved the US!...Almost didn`t want to go home!
I met so many Americans, and there is nothing to fear in terms of how people see the American people.
Americans are always welcome here....Bush is a different matter!
Take care...good site!
Posted at 2:53 PM  

Blogger TLP said:

Thank you for thinking. Some of us need to think. I'm so tired of it all. I cried when Bush was elected this time around.

But I can't go on with it all. It hurts too much.

THANKS to all of you who still have the energy to try.
Posted at 5:04 PM  

Blogger dAAve said:

OK. I'll be the bad guy here. I have posted numerous time that I am a middle-of-the-road Republican. I too am a bit pissed off at W. I may well vote nonpRepublican next time. If it turns out that W intentionally lied to us, he must certainly be held accountable.

My question is always this --- why was it OK for Bill Clinton to lie to the American People on television and then under oath to Congress? He too took an oath of office to uphold the Constitution and he trashed it. His lies have had enormous negative effects on young people who feel it's OK to lie since Uncle Bill did it and got away with it.

I truly believe that any person (so far) who is elected to that office is either a) a liar b) will become a liar.

It's tough to see what's going on in Iraq, but it was tough during the Civil War, The Spanish-American War, WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam etc... One difference today is that the liberal media concentrates on the negative aspects of an administration instead of what is actually happening. I've lived all over this world and I know that to be true.

Enough. Sorry.
Posted at 8:23 PM  

Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said:

goddless mom,

please check out my newest post on the issue. Having this out there is something I intend to do on my blog for as long as necessary. I know you feel the same.
Posted at 8:49 PM  

Blogger GodlessMom said:

Higher Powered, There is absolutely no reason to say sorry. I value your input.

Personally I don't think it is okay for anyone to lie under oath. Clinton was wrong for doing so and I'll make no excuses for him. He should have just said, "Yes, she blew me...what business is it of yours?" and left it at that.

Unfortunately I agree that politics seems to corrupt everyone.
Posted at 8:57 PM  

Blogger Pseudo-intellectual lunatic said:

how do u manage living in the bible belt? or do u live in one of those "blue bits"...i wud imagine most people probably would be very hostile to ur views
Posted at 10:10 PM  

Blogger GodlessMom said:

That's a funny question! Actually, Houston is a great city and I am surrounded by some wonderful people. Most of the blue areas in Texas are up around Austin but just like any large city Houston has a wide variety of people.

Now, of course I am in the minority where my political views are concerned and I frequently keep my mouth shut when I'd like to just scream. When I need to vent I either talk with my family, all of whom are rather liberal or I put it on my blog!
Posted at 10:21 PM  

Blogger Lila said:

Yes, a very good post. Thanks for expressing it so well.
Posted at 10:27 PM  

Blogger dddragon said:

I think you have spoken very well for a good many of us.

I live in a very Republican town. I know of several life-long Republicans who have changed parties ~ not just because of Bush but also because of the local Republicans who seem to have been embolden by the White House.

When older, conservative white men change parties like this, it makes you wonder.
Posted at 10:28 PM  

Blogger Watson Woodworth said:

I think the difference between Clinton's lies and Bush's is that no one deid as a result on the Monica thing.
I believe the UK will have to do the heavy lifting in any war inquiry, as our own press and legislature are too cowardly.
Posted at 1:35 AM  

Blogger Justine said:

Its mad, isn't it?
Posted at 3:57 AM  

Blogger dAAve said:

Funny that you feel you're in the minority. I feel the same way. Maybe it's because I live in VERY liberal and gay Montrose. Here, I seem to be one voice amongst none others.
Posted at 9:13 AM  

Blogger GodlessMom said:

A liberal in the burbs and a conservative in Montrose! Go figure! :)
Posted at 9:29 AM  

Add a comment