Godless Mom in the Bible Belt

Friday, June 17, 2005

Leche de la madre

I'm a big fan of breastfeeding. I actually get a warm fuzzy feeling whenever I see a mother and her infant assume the position.

The benefits are too many to list, but my favorite benefit is the fact that there is no cooking involved. I hate cooking. Anything that involves dirty dishes or heating stuff up qualifies as cooking, therefore in my mind baby bottles and formula fall into this category.

When I was brand new at this motherhood thing and Liz was an infant we were the breastfeeding dynamic duo! What a team! It didn't come easily, it took us a couple of months to really reach professional level skills, but once we were there? Watch out! We could be in the middle of the mall, the middle of a restaurant, sitting at a baseball game or on a plane over Denver and if Liz got hungry? Instant lunch!

Now, I understand that there are certain aspects of breastfeeding that some people may find offensive of objectionable. We live in a puritanical society when it comes to certain subjects and for whatever reason there are segments of the population that feel mothers should hide themselves when their child needs to eat. Now, I'm not saying all moms should be out there waving it around. I'm all for surreptitious breastfeeding if you can manage it, but quite frankly once your baby reaches the age where he/she wants too look around the room while eating there is very little you can do to keep yourself modestly covered. Breastfeeding mothers need to be allowed the same freedom to feed their child that bottle feeding mothers are given. Don't send them to the corner or worse, into the bathroom! It is hard enough as a mother to get over the hesitancy to whip it out in public without the disapproving stares of the populace added to the mix.
posted by GodlessMom, 6:34 AM

16 Comments:

Blogger Meegan said:

I have no experience with this (yet), but I agree with you 100%.

However, the fact that people can find it "objectionable" really rubs me the wrong way. Your baby is hungry so you feed her. Anyone who finds it "offensive" most likely enjoyed breastfeeding him/herself once upon a time. File this under "Get over it."
Posted at 8:23 AM  

Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said:

I agree with you 100 percent.

There were times that I needed to breastfeed in public, and would simply make sure that both myself, and the baby were covered. I think many have actually laxed their attitudes under this.
Posted at 8:41 AM  

Blogger Lila said:

It's sad that this country is so obsessed with breasts. I dare say that in most parts of the world, it's a non-issue.
Posted at 8:49 AM  

Blogger TLP said:

It should be a non-issue. Breast feeding is natural. It should be the norm.

If someone objects to it, too bad. They'll live.

dddragon breast fed twins. I'll be looking for her comment.
Posted at 8:56 AM  

Blogger The Lazy Iguana said:

I say - whip it out. I could care less how someone decideds to feed their baby.

Anyone who is offended by such an act needs to grow up, not look, or go back to the 1900s when womens bathing suits did not show anything above the ankle.
Posted at 9:02 AM  

Blogger Watson Woodworth said:

I think it's part Adam-and-Eve: nudity is always sexualized and shameful and part In-His-own-image: thinking that humans are somehow above any other mamals who succle unapollogeticaly.
Essentially, christians have issues and we should feel sad for them.
Posted at 12:07 PM  

Blogger dddragon said:

Yup. Breastfed twins. Many times both at once.

I think it's totally natural and a shame that it is even an issue.

And breastfeeding in public restrooms is gross beyond words. There are a good number of Amish and Mennonite people in our area, and they aren't bothered by the general public (that I'm aware of) when they do it.

I think it gets to be an issue when the "militant" breastfeeders get obnoxious or pushy about it. Especially the ones still breastfeeding a 3+ year old. When the kid can unbutton your top, I personally think it's time to stop.
Posted at 12:48 PM  

Blogger Liz said:

i agree too. however, i don't know if i will ever be able to feed in front of the inlaws. meegan knows!
Posted at 2:38 PM  

Blogger Urban Chick said:

my ploy-in-waiting for any complaints about doing it in a public place was: would you rather hear her scream in a way that might ruin your meal/flight/ability to hold down a conversation?

amazingly, i never had to use it (shame - i had rehearsed it so well too)
Posted at 4:02 PM  

Blogger Liz said:

thanks for the tip - i might need that some day.
Posted at 5:02 PM  

Blogger dAAve said:

Breasts in public don't bother me in the least. Especially, if they are on a man.
Posted at 8:28 PM  

Blogger mireille said:

No kidding. And if the child is curious and wants to look around while they're dining, more power to them/you.
Posted at 4:41 PM  

Blogger S said:

I'm one of those who belong to the "millitant breastfeeding cult" (have you seen this webring?) LOL and I just had to say I loved reading your blog. I am actually nursing my 7 month old daughter at the keyboard right now! It's wierd but in my circle of friends this is such a non-issue that I sometimes forget that not everyone is down with the boob!
Posted at 7:43 PM  

Blogger S said:

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Posted at 7:43 PM  

Blogger S said:

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Posted at 7:44 PM  

Blogger S said:

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Posted at 7:45 PM  

Add a comment