Godless Mom in the Bible Belt

Sunday, June 12, 2005

Sexual dimorphism in the human species. Or not.

I am fascinated by the incredible diversity of the human species. From the obvious physical differences to the less obvious emotional and intellectual differences, I love to ponder and wonder about what makes our species tick.

One of my favorite things to do is mull over the differences between the two most basic components of homo sapiens sapiens, the male and the female.

One thing I have noticed which peaks my curiosity yet leaves me grasping for a reason is the male propensity to hoard music. From high school on, almost every male I know has been in the process of putting together an obscenely extensive CD collection. Now that we can download music and carry our favorites on our Ipods, putting together a voluminous collection is even easier.

Now, of course there are women who also have huge collections. I'm not stating that this is an obsession that is completely limited to the males of our species, just that it seems to be much more common in males than in females.

Music speaks to the souls of both sexes. There are just as many female virtuosi as male. We are all likely to turn to a favorite piece when in a certain mood. It seems that musically we are equal in all ways, some of us are more talented than others but it doesn't seem to have any relation to our sex.

So what is the reason for this behavior? Has anyone else noticed this phenomenon?
posted by GodlessMom, 11:02 AM

5 Comments:

Blogger Jane said:

Hi,

I think it's just that men like collecting things and they can get competitive over it as well. With some men it's stamps others music collections you should check out the film High Fidelity or the book it was based on by the same name, very funny and address the need for a large record collection.

Me I'm female, I like in Eastern England and my music collection is at about the 500 cds/records mark!

I like your blog by the way, I too am an athesist but fortunately here in mainland Britian we do not have the equivilant of the Bible Belt.

Cheers

Jane
Posted at 11:59 AM  

Blogger GodlessMom said:

Hi Jane, Welcome and thanks for the comment! I love the film High Fidelity. I've always had a bit of a thing for John Cusack. In fact it was that very film that got me thinking about this subject.

500 cds/records? Wow! Where do you keep it all?
Posted at 12:31 PM  

Blogger TLP said:

My husband hoards everything. Well, I don't LET him keep everything, but he'd like to. He has way too many CDs, but books are the biggest problem. I think men hoard because they can. The wife does the dusting of whatever gets hoarded, so, why not?
Posted at 1:17 PM  

Blogger Lila said:

Um. I have a HUGE CD collection. I am a woman... but then again, I have a lot of gender dysphoria.
Posted at 4:28 PM  

Blogger dAAve said:

no
Posted at 8:09 PM  

Add a comment