Godless Mom in the Bible Belt

Monday, June 13, 2005

In search of the perfect floor plan

Not a very interesting post to anyone but myself, but here it is.

I love looking at floor plans. In fact it is one of my favorite leisure activities.

I'm not the only one who enjoys this past time. In fact, I think it might be a genetic thing. I can't count the hours I've spent sitting at the kitchen table with my mom and dad, each of us with a book of floor plans to peruse. My sister also enjoys the past time and possesses her own mini library of floor plan books (her particular interest is log cabin homes.)

Now that there are many home planning sites on the web, I can spend hours pouring over plans without ever having to turn a page! In fact, my daughter seems to be in the process of developing the same interest. She will sit for quite a while asking me which room is her bedroom!

Despite the amount of time I've put into searching, I have yet to find the perfect floor plan for me and my family. Here is a list of my criteria. I think I'm going to have to design it myself. That will be fun too!

1.) I want a one story. My parents and my elderly dog have problems with stairs.
2.) I need a bedroom next to the Master bedroom. Sometimes Liz gets scared at night, I don't want her to feel like she is completely isolated from the rest of the family.
3.) I don't need a formal living room nor a formal dining room. I'm not a formal person and those two rooms are just wasted space in my house. I do however want a non-formal dining space that is big enough for an 8 person table. I like to have my family over for dinner.
4.) Scott needs a special area of his own. An office with a 1/2 bath and a room large enough to accommodate his big screen TV.
5.) I would like a laundry room that would be large enough to leave the ironing board up, have enough space for a couple of good sized dog crates and the cat litter box and a large counter for folding clothes.
6.) I would like the entire thing to be under 2500 sq ft and I want it powered by the sun and the wind.

That is my list. I'm still searching. When I find it, I'm going to build it on Orcas Island...I hope.
posted by GodlessMom, 5:46 AM

7 Comments:

Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said:

I am of the opinion that a one story is the way to go these days.
We have a tri-level. As our dog, and us, for that matter, are aging, cliiming stairs, I invision, will prove more and more difficult!
Posted at 8:37 AM  

Blogger TLP said:

Sounds like a nice plan...which you are going to have to draw yourself.
Posted at 11:09 AM  

Blogger Meegan said:

Orcas Island, huh? I grew up in WA state. Went to San Juans on vacation a couple of times -- beautiful!
Posted at 12:11 PM  

Blogger dddragon said:

I have a friend who has an UPstairs laundry room, complete with a built in ironing board closet (open the door and you can bring it down, attached to the wall). And she doesn't like it.

I'd LOVE not to have to carry dirty clothes from the second floor down to the basement and then back up again!
Posted at 12:45 PM  

Blogger GodlessMom said:

It always seems that the laundry room is added to most floor plans as an after thought. My home in Phoenix didn't have a laundry room, instead I had to go out to the garage. What a pain! I was able to use the bed of my pickup to sort things though, I guess that was a plus.

I think an upstairs laundry room sounds heavenly!
Posted at 1:38 PM  

Blogger dAAve said:

Now there's an idea -- remove the bed of an old pickup truck and build it into the house.

I've been drawing house plans since I was about 8 - my parents built their own custom house that they designed and I was hooked. I'd planned to be an architect til I got older and dumber.
Posted at 7:56 PM  

Blogger Lila said:

Sounds like a cool hobby. I wish I were good at that kind of thing.
Posted at 10:03 PM  

Add a comment