Godless Mom in the Bible Belt

Thursday, June 23, 2005

The Thing Under the Bed

Liz has an entire menagerie of imaginary friends.

Let's see...There is Carver, a pumpkin who lives by the side of the bed and likes pepperoni on his pizza. Gina, who lives in the bedroom closet and sleeps most of the day, she is nocturnal. Juda, she is a witch who lives in the bathroom upstairs and cooks stinky food (don't ask, I have no good explanation for this.)

There are also many other friends that come and go as she plays throughout the day. She talks to them, makes up elaborate stories about them and generally includes them in her everyday activities.

I love her imagination, it is so much fun to just watch and see what she will come up with next!

I keep a motherhood journal that I update regularly,I started writing it when Liz was 3 weeks old. In it I write brief descriptions of her progress, accomplishments and adventures and my feelings, trials and triumphs. I'm definitely going to have to write a page or two about these imaginary buddies.
posted by GodlessMom, 6:14 AM

9 Comments:

Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said:

A motherhood journal is such a great idea.

Liz sounds like a beautiful daughter, with a vivid imagination. Enjoy each and every day.
Posted at 7:17 AM  

Blogger Fred said:

Hi Godless:

Seems you and I are always posting on the same blogs, so I thought I'd stop by.

Great blog - I'll be lurking...
Posted at 8:09 AM  

Blogger Meegan said:

That's adorable! I also think keeping a journal is great because it will be so much fun for her to read back on. Do you ever have her tell you stories that you write down? And then let her illustrate it? My mom used to do that for me before I could write and I love looking back at them.
Posted at 10:16 AM  

Blogger Lara said:

My mom loves sharing stories with me about my imaginary playmates. I'm so glad you encourage her in her creativity! She is a lucky girl!
Posted at 4:46 PM  

Blogger dddragon said:

It'll be fun to see her reaction to these journal entries when she gets older. When Kiddie B was very little, she took a shine to cows. We bought cow shirts, toys, books, t-shirts and a poster for the wall. She has no memory of it and thinks we're making it up.
Posted at 6:48 PM  

Blogger TLP said:

The journal is a wonderful thing. Wish I had done it for my kids.
Posted at 8:58 PM  

Blogger The Lazy Iguana said:

Can I buy some pot from your kids?
Posted at 11:15 PM  

Blogger GodlessMom said:

Hey Jevanking, Liz is four going on thirty. And Iguana, I'll have to ask her who her source is...It must be grade A stuff!
Posted at 6:14 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said:

I had an imaginary friend when I was little. Her name was Mary Jane. --Just thought that was pertinent. And Odd???
Posted at 10:00 AM  

Add a comment