Godless Mom in the Bible Belt

Wednesday, September 14, 2005

To Liz on her first day of Kindergarten

My Dearest Liz,

Yesterday I sent you off into the world. I watched you wipe silent tears from your eyes then straighten your back and bravely march off into the unknown. I felt such a swelling of pride as I watched that beautiful head of blonde hair disappear through the doorway. I also felt a tiny bit of sorrow as I realized that my baby is truly gone, she has been replaced by a bright, vivacious, sweet-natured little girl.

I feel confident that you possess the skills necessary to take this next step. You have always made friends so easily and your curiosity serves you well. I won't lie to you, there are some painful times ahead. School can be a lot of fun but it is also a place where you will inevitably learn a few tough lessons.

There are a few things I'd like you to try and remember as you enter this new phase of your life.

First, always try to be friends with the kid who needs friends. The popularity game is vicious and pointless, please try to rise above it. Look for the children who fade into the woodwork and do your best to include them and make them feel loved.

Second, listen to your teachers and they will open the door to a whole new level of understanding, be polite and considerate and don't be afraid to ask questions. Aside from your family, these are the adults who will influence you most. Give them the opportunity to earn your respect and you will earn their respect in return.

Third, always perform to the best of your ability. Like your mother, you have a tendency to let things slide on occasion. I have some good qualities, please don't emulate my bad ones!

Fourth, (I can't say it any better than Shakespeare) "This above all, to thine own self be true." I know that you are a kind hearted and generous person. I also know that you have a keen sense of justice and a healthy amount of pride, these qualities will serve you well if you listen to your heart and always take the noble path.

Fifth, while most people you meet will be kind and decent folks, you will occasionally run across an asshole. Don't be afraid to stand up for yourself and don't be afraid to come to the defense of someone who is being bullied. Seek out the assistance of an adult if necessary but do not tolerate unkindness. You have my permission to tell the assholes of the world to go to hell.

Lastly and by far the most important, please remember that Daddy and I are always, ALWAYS here for you. When you are sad, we will dry your tears and help you through your tough times. When you are afraid we will be there to help you confront your problems. When you are happy we will share your joy and when you are angry we will work together to come to terms with life's frustrations. Occasionally you will make mistakes and we will be here to help you learn from them. Whenever you need us we will be here.

I love you very much,
Mommy
posted by GodlessMom, 5:20 AM

10 Comments:

Blogger Meegan said:

This is so sweet and beautiful.

How did the first day go for her? I was walking by a local kindergarten yesterday and it made me think of Liz. I hope she thrives!
Posted at 8:05 AM  

Blogger Urban Chick said:

oh god, i have tears in my eyes after reading that - what a lovely letter to your darling daughter

all the more poignant for me as i know i will be going through the same thing in another couple of years...

please tell us how she gets on!

UC
x
Posted at 8:28 AM  

Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said:

This is such a beatiful, heartfelt letter. I know how much you love Liz, and each and every stage of her life as she begins middle school, high school and college will bring tears to you, in a different way.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us.
Posted at 10:29 AM  

Blogger pack of 2 said:

That is so sweet. Best of luck to Liz on her first day.
All was very good advice.

Shelly
Posted at 12:44 PM  

Blogger dddragon said:

ditto ditto the previously written comments. I hope she has a wonderful experience! I'm looking forward to hearing about the day.
Posted at 12:55 PM  

Blogger Watson Woodworth said:

She is very lucky.
I even envy her a little.
Hope she loves school.
Posted at 4:47 PM  

Blogger Lila said:

What a sweet letter! I remember my first day of Kindergarten, believe it or not. I was sad to say goodbye to Mommy (Tan Lucy Pez), but quickly came to like my teacher and classmates.
Posted at 5:09 PM  

Blogger TLP said:

So sweet. I wish I had written to my kids on their first day of school. It will be a wonderful thing for her to have when she's grown.
Posted at 6:25 PM  

Blogger Fred said:

Strangely enough, this letter will be just as relevant many years later. Wonderful letter - thanks for writing it. And, good luck to Liz.
Posted at 7:38 PM  

Blogger Lucy Stern said:

They don't stay little for long do they? I remember those days. Mine are all grown and gone now and believe me when I say that it all went too fast. Good luck with your little one as she takes her next step in life.
Posted at 10:45 PM  

Add a comment