Godless Mom in the Bible Belt

Wednesday, May 18, 2005

May the Force be with you

Okay, this is it. The obligatory Star Wars post.

We all have our Star Wars memories. Some of us could care less about this bit of pop culture, others have taken this modern parable and elevated it to the level of personal credo.

Personally, I'm somewhere in the middle with a slight leaning toward the personal credo end of the scale.

I was nine when Star Wars first came to Salt Lake City, I remember sitting next to my mom in the dark theater and being completely blown away. Three years later Empire came to town and my bedroom never looked the same. At a time when my girlfriends had pictures of John Stamos and Christopher Atkins hung next to their beds I had papered my walls with X-wing fighters and Yoda. I thought that calling someone a "Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf-herder" was the height of comical insults and I was convinced that Yoda was on to something with the whole "Force" thing.

Scott and I have tickets for the final movie tomorrow and I'm approaching it with equal measures of excitement and sadness. It will be the close in a chapter of my life, for the last 28 years I've been anxiously awaiting each next Star Wars movie. Tomorrow marks the last day I will get to feel those butterflies, absorb the effects and lose myself in the galaxy far far away.

So, I raise my glass to George Lucas and everyone else who's fingerprints are on these films. Thanks for the ride, it's been a ton of fun.

However, in the interest of non-mainstream thinking (this one is for you Barbara) here is a link to an interesting article written by Jonathan V. Last called The Case for the Empire written in 2002. The author explores the politics of the Lucas world and questions whether the good guys are really all that good. It's a fun read!

Might not post tomorrow, I'm gonna be Star Wars'n!
posted by GodlessMom, 6:16 AM

6 Comments:

Blogger TLP said:

Truly, may the force be with you too.

And on a different subject, I'm on the road in a Best Western in Bennington, Vermont, so I NEED those jeans and my phone charger! Put them back in your fridge, turn around three times, click your heels, and maybe they'll be in my suitcase when I get back to my room.
Posted at 7:46 AM  

Blogger GodlessMom said:

Okay, I'll do that right away! Hopefully the worm hole knows where the Best Western is!
Posted at 8:24 AM  

Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said:

Thank you for the link! Interesting indeed!!!

If John Williams could just compose a different score, I might be able to get though one of those movies!
Posted at 8:49 AM  

Blogger dddragon said:

Hey, why is there a phone charger in my washing machine ? ....

I've my Star Wars tickets, too, and can hardly wait.

Did ya see www.storewars.org?
Posted at 12:19 PM  

Blogger Trudging said:

I got my tickets too.
Posted at 4:31 PM  

Blogger Lila said:

We must be the same age... I was 9 yrs. old when the original Star Wars came out, too. So... what did you think of Episode III?
Posted at 9:23 AM  

Add a comment