Godless Mom in the Bible Belt

Friday, May 20, 2005

The Spirituality of Atheism: Part 1

I have a sister, we are nothing alike. We share the same parents, and hence a large portion of DNA, but that is where the similarity ends.

Jane is 21 years older than I. She was married and had two kids of her own before I came along as a mid-life surprise to my parents. I didn't grow up with Jane, I never fought over the bathroom with Jane and up until the last 8 years or so, I really didn't know Jane.

Jane has issues with men. Her first husband was an abusive SOB and I rarely saw my sister when I was a child because she was ashamed of the bruises he inflicted. She divorced him when I was ten and immediately turned around and married hubby number 2, the drug addict. Mr. Drug Addict is rarely physically abusive, but he spent the first 23 years of their marriage putting my sister through the emotional wringer like you wouldn't believe. She finally got fed up and left him two years ago but never actually got around to divorcing him. The fact that my sister finally put her foot down made Mr. Drug Addict do an inventory of his life and he has managed to stay sober for almost 18 months now, he is a much nicer person to be around.

I'm glad he's got his shit together because my sister loves him and 6 months ago she was diagnosed with cancer. Leukemia and lymphoma to be exact. She loves Mr. Drug Addict and I'm glad she has him right now because she needs the support.

Jane is a very religious person. I don't mean in the dogmatic sort of way, her spirituality is very private. She has a personal relationship with her god that helps her through difficult times and gives meaning to her life. This belief has provided her great comfort during the AA meetings and chemotherapy, the marriage counseling and hospitalizations. I also believe (although this belief is based only on personal observation, not on anything she has said) that her faith has become a much more important part of her life since she has had this string of crises.

So, it came as no surprise last Christmas when Jane asked me point blank, "What made you decide to become an atheist?"

I had to laugh a bit at the way she phrased the question. I didn't "decide" to become an atheist. I didn't wake up one morning and think, You know? Today I think I'll break my mother's heart, befuddle my father, fly in the face of everything I've ever been taught and willingly join a group that many people rank only slightly above child-molesters. Yeah, that's a good idea.

It is rare to meet someone who has always been an atheist. Most of us are raised with some sort of religious training. The majority of us who are now atheists have at some point in time shrugged off religious thinking for one reason or another. The journey to atheism is as individual as the person who takes it, there is no book to follow, no support group and it isn't something one strives to attain. It just happens, over the course of a life when questions go unanswered, when the answers one is given are contradictory and when all that you have been taught falls away under the light of careful examination.

The next series of posts will be a summary of my spiritual journey thus far. It is not meant to de-convert anyone nor is it meant as a challenge to the personal spiritual beliefs of others. It is just my story and perhaps it will provide some answers to Jane's question.
posted by GodlessMom, 3:43 PM

5 Comments:

Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said:

Very insightful and honest as always, godless mom.

I used to be an atheist. In fact, I was raised in a fairly disfunctional family (see my answer to your post) who did not put much emphasis on relgion. But there was my grandmother. A truly spiritual, practicing beautiful Jew. She must have had some great, but unknown influence on me, because now, I consider myself not only a very spiritual woman, but a good Jew as well.

When crisis occurs, and one feels completely at a loss, such as one involving illness to self, a loved one or child, you can become so scared, and not know where to turn or what to believe. Hope against hope is a frightening experience.
That is where faith comes in. And I believe that everyone has his/her own definition of faith and God, and that it works at many different levels with many layers. I can just share my experience with you.

I can tell that you are a wonderful woman, a thoughtful mother and someone who asks many questions. All good values to pass on to one's children, no matter where you end up in your beliefs.
Posted at 8:07 PM  

Blogger dAAve said:

Thanks GM. I'm probably agnostic, but have nto figured any of that out yet. I have managed to embrace spirituality to a degree that I never would ahve thought possible sobriety.

Two of my best friends in recovery are atheists with many sober years and do just fine, thank you.
Posted at 8:46 PM  

Blogger TLP said:

I was raised in a fundamentalist Christian home. I became an atheist when I realized that every minute of every day, a child is being abused, sexually or emotionally, or physically, or actually all three. If god can watch this and not stop it, then I don't believe that god is "love."

I think my answer is that there is no god.

I enjoyed this post very much, if that is the word for reading about your sister's life. Good writing as always.

BTW, thanks for the jeans and phone charger. They showed up in my ice chest! A little wet, but fine.
Posted at 9:25 AM  

Blogger dddragon said:

I have known since I was about age 5 that, for me at least, there is no god. Tan Lucy had decided not to encumber us (my wording) with religion, so we didn't go as a family, but I did go occaisionally with a friend. I found church services to be confusing when not boring.

I can vividly remember asking one night for God to show me that he existed. My Christian friends tell me that one cannot do this, demand that God prove himself to one person. But I tell them - I was five years old. I was a seeker. If there was a personal God, the one that they speak of, then he could have had a loyal believer if a firefly had lit against my window that night.

Nothing happened, not a thing, not a sign of any sort.

And since then, when things get bad, nothing has happened to convince me otherwise. In fact, in the past several years, events seem to convince me that I've been right all along.

So I try to be as good a person as I can be, and not leave a mess around me (and I'm not talking about my house!)

I look forward to your next posts.
Posted at 9:22 PM  

Blogger GodlessMom said:

Thank you guys so much for your comments. I was very hesitant to put any of this down in words, trying to sum up and entire spiritual journey in just a few posts seems like a rather daunting task. How do you cover all the important points without writing an entire novel?

DDDragon, you are so fortunate to have been raised in such a manner. I hope that Liz will manage to keep an open mind about the whole subject. I don't want to prevent her from following her heart in whatever direction it may lead, but I don't want to fill her head with unnecessary superstition either.
Posted at 9:11 AM  

Add a comment