Godless Mom in the Bible Belt

Wednesday, June 01, 2005

I Love a Rainy Night

Boy do we have a storm coming in!

The rain here in Houston is amazing. The storms roll in with such force that at times you can almost feel the static charge in the air. They are usually accompanied by huge lightening shows and a constant rumble of thunder. Occasionally you will experience one of those ultra close lightening strikes that white-out your entire view and smash you on the head with a sound so loud your eardrums want to start leaking. It sends my dog whimpering into her crate while Liz and I sit at the window and watch.

You know the kind of rain you see in movies? The kind that comes down in sheets and soaks everything within seconds? That is the kind of rain that falls from the sky here, and it doesn't just do it for a few minutes at a time. It can go on for hours.

We are situated in such a manner that wild weather is common. We get hurricanes off the gulf, we are at the southern most end of tornado alley so we get those too (although they aren't common), we are in a perfect spot for the jet stream to pick up a bunch of Gulf moisture and just dump at will. When I first moved here I thought it would basically be hot and humid (which it is.) I just never thought I would get to see such shows!

I love this planet! It is so cool!
posted by GodlessMom, 5:58 AM

6 Comments:

Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said:

How glorious! June gloom here in Ca.

Enjoy the rain and storms.
Posted at 10:02 AM  

Blogger TLP said:

Oh yes! I love those storms. Wouldn't want them all the time of course, but you describe it so well that I'm wishing for a storm now.
Posted at 1:07 PM  

Blogger dddragon said:

i LOVE lightening! And I watch the documentaries about tornados whenever I can. Don't know why. If I had a chance to start college all over again, I think I might try meterology. And to think that I went to Penn State, the school that graduates most of the weatherpeople on tv!
Posted at 4:03 PM  

Blogger dAAve said:

You may or may not belive this but ...

Texas has more tornadoes annually than any other state in the USA or lcoation on Earth. Harris County is the leading county in Texas with numbers of tornadoes. This includes Kansas and Oklahoma.

The difference is that we (in Harris Cty.) get small and weak tornadoes compard to many other places. This week Harris County has expreienced 4 confirmed tornadoes.

Google me wrong if you wish.
Posted at 8:08 PM  

Blogger Lila said:

Yes, I miss thunder and lightening. I seems like we don't get as many in Massachusetts as we had in Pennsylvania (where I grew up).

And thanks for the Eddie Rabbit "I Love a Rainy Night" earworm!
Posted at 9:46 PM  

Blogger GodlessMom said:

Wow HP, interesting information! I stand corrected.
Posted at 5:50 AM  

Add a comment