Godless Mom in the Bible Belt

Sunday, May 22, 2005

The Spirituality of Atheism: Part 2

I was raised in Utah. I never have been LDS (Mormon) although many of my friends and extended family are.

My parents are Protestant, Disciples of Christ to be exact and they raised me to be a God fearing Christian. Daddy sang in the Choir, Mom rotated between various duties for the church but was always on some committee or other. They are good, decent people and my childhood was a happy one, I knew I was loved. I went through my entire childhood and early teenage years with a warm and convicted belief in God. I remember praying at night, telling Him my problems and asking for guidance. I remember the comforting feeling that I was not alone and the heartfelt belief that by living my life in a certain way I would be granted access to Heaven.

Being non-Mormon in Utah is an interesting experience. There are so few non-Mormons, that everyone you meet automatically assumes you are part of the club. . The vast majority of Mormons I know are decent, kind, normal folks who never looked down on me or treated me any differently due to my non-LDS status. But just like any cross-section of the human population you run into the occasional ass and there were a few times when I was excluded from activities or certain children were forbidden to play with me. While it stung when this happened, Mom and Dad helped me realized that it really wasn't a reflection on me.

Daddy was raised as a Mormon in Utah. He was excommunicated from the LDS church after he started attending church with my mom. He wasn't heartbroken about it, he had done some investigating and found that the Mormon church was not all it was cracked up to be and he was ready to give up his membership. Mom and Dad always told me that while I should love and respect our friends and family who belonged to that church I should be careful not to buy into their beliefs because they were untrue. This was a regular mantra at my house, especially when I hit dating age. I think one of my parents greatest fears was that I might marry a Mormon.

Mormons believe in having big families. I don't mean three or four children, I mean ten or twelve. As a result, the public school system in Utah is very crowded. My parents have always been very gung-ho about education and although we never had a lot of money (Daddy was a diesel mechanic, Mom worked as a secretary for the National Weather Service) they tightened the belt and sent me to private school. I attended Catholic school, Southern Baptist school and a plain old "Christian" school.

I remember sitting (at the age of ten) in Chapel at the Southern Baptist school and wondering why the messages I heard at school were so different from the messages I heard at church. The book was the same, the pulpit was the same, the chapels even smelled the same. Why did the God that they spoke of at school seem so different from the one I heard about at church? Why was one message so full of anger while the other was so full of understanding and forgiveness. Was this the same God they were talking about? My mind soon began to play over all the differences in all the religions I had encountered. In my limited experience I had noticed and been very confused by four different versions of Christianity. Mom and Dad had told me that the Mormon version was untrue, but what about the others? They all claimed to be correct yet they were all so different.

While my personal faith in God was still very much a part of my thinking, I soon became very disenchanted with organized religion. I could see the beauty in the philosophy, but it was tainted by the disparity of attitude and method I saw in all the religions. When I would ask adults about the incongruities I had noticed their answers would range from ambivalent to almost hostile. Looking back, I think that the adults I asked didn't really know the answers to these questions either. Perhaps they thought that if they gave an appropriately vague answer, the little ten year old with the big questions would just go away.

I eventually did.
posted by GodlessMom, 3:05 AM

5 Comments:

Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said:

Where I live, there are many Morman families. Nice, respectful people, who went to school with our children. When they would knock on my door as part of their mission, and I would tell them I was a practicing Jew, they were every more respectful, never pushy.

Thannk you for yoru post. I wondered what it would be like to grown up as a non-practicing Morman in Utah. This is an inersting such for a blog. Thanks
Posted at 6:48 AM  

Blogger dddragon said:

Tan Lucy Pez was the teenager with the questions, and eventually went away.

She would say today that one thing about not raising us in any church is that we didn't have a working knowledge of the Bible (or any book from any religion), so we were not able to converse with others on an equal footing. Since then, I've discovered that many Christians don't know the Bible any better than I do, and many know it less.

So, I attend a Unitarian church. Kiddie A & B are learning about many faiths there and will be able to make their own decisions. My DH is Catholic, and they've gone thru CCD, too.

I have a friend at work who is what I call a militant Atheist, a member of PA Non Believers. He seems to be always protesting something!
Posted at 7:54 PM  

Blogger GodlessMom said:

Sometimes it is difficult to NOT be a militant Atheist. I will admit to occassionally getting angry and going on a rant but I try to keep my interactions on a positive note.

The founder of the Houston Atheist Society got so fed up he moved out of the country after the last election!
Posted at 9:04 PM  

Blogger Lila said:

Thanks for this great blog entry, godlessmom. From what I gather, the Disciples of Christ is actually a pretty interesting denomination... lots of room there for your own interpretation of the Bible and Christianity, as I understand it. I'd be curious to hear (read) your take on them.
Posted at 9:12 PM  

Blogger GodlessMom said:

Hmmm, Disciples of Christ, huh? You know, I honestly have nothing bad to say about them as an organization. I've been to services at three different Disciples churches, all of them in Utah. Sunday School was always interesting, a subject would be introduced and the lively discussion would start. New ideas and interpretations were always welcome and sometimes great debates started. Sermons were usually very positive and based on current events. As church goes it wasn't too bad.

However, Mom and Dad started attending a Disciples church here in Houston when they first moved here and it was totally different from what they were used to. It was very formal and rigid. They found another congregation which they really enjoyed, young members and rock music but it broke up due to squabbling about the direction the church should take.

Too bad, Mom and Dad are currently churchless and I think they really miss it.
Posted at 4:57 PM  

Add a comment