Godless Mom in the Bible Belt

Monday, June 06, 2005

Kicking Ass and Taking Names

I'm trying to remember when women in pop culture became kick-ass strong.

As a child I remember watching Linda Carter doing the Wonder Woman thing, although her version of ass kicking was rather tame and downright comical by today's standards. There was Erin Grey as Col. Wilma Deering in the Buck Rogers series, but she always needed someone to save her butt when things got really tough. Princess Leia was cool, and while she was handy with a blaster most of her role was administration and command.

I think it was the summer of 1986 when Sigourney Weaver brought us Ripley for the second time around in Aliens. Brave, intelligent, level-headed and buff yet still very much a female. There were no excuses made for her strength, she wasn't an Amazon or genetically modified. She was just an ordinary woman in extraordinary circumstances and she rose to the occasion and opened up a can of whupass!

Every since then we have had a string of physically, mentally and emotionally strong female lead characters. Linda Hamilton in Terminator 2, Sarah Michelle Gellar as Buffy, Jennifer Garner as Sydney Bristow and Milla Jovovitch as video game heroine Alice to name just a few. The Disney Channel even has Kim Possible, a kid's cartoon version of the same type of character.

Now, here is where my thoughts have taken me. Are these pop culture characters a good type of fictional role model for our young girls? I'm on the fence with this one. On the one hand they are independent and rely on their wits and personal strength to get themselves and those for whom they are responsible out of sticky situations. How can that be a bad thing? On the other hand these women very definitely rely on warfare, weapons and slaughter to achieve their goals. This is not something that I want my little girl thinking is okay or admirable.

I grew up in a time when toy guns were as common as Barbie and cops and robbers was a staple in every child's play repertoire. I can't count how many times I "shot" one of my friends with a toy gun, yet I didn't grow up to be gun totin' she devil. In fact I rather fear guns and have no desire to ever own one, let alone shoot one. My point being that just because a child sees violence on TV and takes part in pretend violence in play doesn't mean that they will grow up and continue that behavior into adulthood. Most of us learn the difference between entertainment and reality at a young age.

I guess the most important thing I can do is try to be the best role model I possibly can be, try to live life honorably and honestly, without using wooden stakes, crossbows or flame-throwers to defeat my foes. Hopefully by the time Liz is old enough to watch this sort of pop culture heroine the values of peace and understanding will be a larger part of her heart than any desire to blow things up.
posted by GodlessMom, 5:45 AM

7 Comments:

Blogger Lila said:

Don't forget Xena, Warrior Princess!

I guess I feel that girls get so few INTERESTING images of strong women that all interesting images of strong women are good. Girls often don't stand up for themselves enough, so if some of their role models are over-the-top in terms of being (literally) combative, maybe that's a good thing.

Think how long the list of role models for boys is! There's still no comparison.
Posted at 7:50 AM  

Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said:

Perhaps I am dating myself, but I remember Angie Dickerinson as Police woman, and Tyle Daily and Sharon Glass in those roles as well. Strong, capable, kick your butt type women.

For me, being the best role model for own childen has to do with consistency, strength and displays of love, no matter what. As they get older, they need to know that you are there for them always, no matter what. To me, I just have this feeling that you are a great role model!
Posted at 8:03 AM  

Blogger TLP said:

You will be the role model that matters in the end.

But TV does have Judging Amy, and her mother. Both strong women in different ways.
Posted at 11:28 AM  

Blogger dddragon said:

I'm just happy to see strong women who aren't searching for a prince charming to make their lives perfect.

Sure, Disney has Kim Possible now, but look at all those characters who ended up with a prince by the end of the movie ... and how many of them didn't have a mother around? Belle, Princess Jasmine, Pocohantas, Ariel the mermaid, etc.

As parents, we are and should be the biggest influence on our children. The rest is fantasy and kids can learn the difference.

And what WAS that about ~ one Smurfette and all those Smurfs?
Posted at 11:42 AM  

Blogger The Lazy Iguana said:

Scantly clad Buffys slaying scary vampires is totally hot!

If there were a real Buffy, I would dress up and act like a vampire :)
Posted at 9:14 PM  

Blogger The Lazy Iguana said:

But guys ARE idiots. Really. Do women do stupid things like try to jump from one tree to another tree from a height of 40 feet? NO. Do women look at a metal rail and think "I bet I can skate board down that rail"? NO. Do women look at a cliff, and think "it would be fun to ride a mountian bike off that"? No. Do women try to earn the title of "the boozinator" by attempting to drink a big ole jug of some mystery alcohol at a frat party? No.

But men do all of the above. No wonder women have a longer life expectancy than men. They are smart enough to not do stupid things.
Posted at 12:53 AM  

Blogger Niobium said:

Kira and Jadzia from Deep Space Nine, Seven of Nine, B'Elenna, and Janeway from Voyager, Elle Woods from Legally Blond, Saffy from Ab Fab, Samantha from Sex in the City (from TV).

There's Susan B. Anthony and Elizabeth Cady Stanton, Alice Paul and Lucy Burns, The Pankhursts, Ruth Bader Ginsberg, Bourdica, Elizabeth I, Isabella, Grand Princess Ol'ga, and of course, Hillary (herstorical/political figures).

Mia Hamm (sports) (and that's all I know because I don't follow sports).

Fatima, Mary, Mary Madeglene, Ester, Ruth, Eve, Lillith, Gaia, Bridget, Zenobia, Isis (religious/spiritual)

That's off the top of my head.
Posted at 11:34 PM  

Add a comment