Godless Mom in the Bible Belt

Friday, June 24, 2005

Knowing When to Say When

I have a little white fluffy dog named Echo. Over the years I've had many pets and I've loved every one of them but Echo is that special one who is actually in possession of my heart.

Echo came into my life before I'd actually hit legal drinking age in October of 1990. That October was a big month for me, I independently bought my first new car (a Ford Festiva) and I came in possession of a white, squirming, newborn puppy. I've gone through four cars in the ensuing years but almost 15 years later, I still have Echo.

I worked at a veterinary hospital in Salt Lake City and came on to my shift late one afternoon. A female dog had been brought into the clinic, she was in the middle of whelping a litter of three pups. She was a very high strung animal, and wasn't doing a very good job of taking care of the pups. The first pup had died and the second was wounded beyond help, the third was Echo. Echo was born at the clinic and I promptly became her mother.

If you've never hand-raised a pup or a kitten let me tell you it is hard work. They must be fed every two hours round the clock, they cannot urinate or defecate on their own at first and require stimulation from you to help them along, their body temperature is always on the move and you must be constantly vigilant to ensure proper environmental temperature. It is hard work, but completely worth the effort. The result is an animal who is so completely bonded with you and so thoroughly convinced that it is human that it is impossible to see the animal as a pet. Instead, you have a new human family member who just happens to walk on all fours and drool a bit.

Echo has been with me through the entire period of my life where I officially became an adult. We have lived in cockroach infested apartments together because the nice places didn't take pets, she has lived off of Ramen noodles with me when I had to spend grocery money on text books, she has nursed me through partying hangovers and accompanied me on numerous adventures into the wilds of the American west. She adjusted with good-natured patience to my first bringing home an adult male human to live with us and with equal good-natured patience when I brought home an infant female human.

My Echo is old now, she spends most of the day sleeping and rarely interacts with the family. Her muscle mass is gone now and she is boney and thin despite a hearty appetite. Her hearing is all but gone (although she does respond when I yell) and as of two weeks ago her vision is gone too.

In my former career as a vet tech part of my job over the years was to euthanize animals who were sickly or injured, old and infirm. I never took this responsibility lightly and my heart always ached for both the animals and the owners but I knew that my actions were for the best.

But how will I know when it is time for me to take that step with Echo? How can I possibly look at her with the kind of remote detachment necessary to make that decision? The tail still wags and the tongue still licks despite the fact that she bumps into walls and gets lost in her own backyard. It's just too painful. I don't think I'll know when to say when.
posted by GodlessMom, 5:44 AM

12 Comments:

Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said:

Oh, how I identify with your thoughts and the pain of making this decision and knowing when it is right. Like you, I have my beloved Astro, who is 12, a cancer survivor, and whom I see being consumed by old age and illness.

You will know when the day and time as come, and only you. You will be the one to decide what quality of life you want your Echo to have, and the time of life for him to endure. I think it is something that you just know, based upon who you are and your relationship with the animinal. For myself, I know when Astro stops eating, it will be a sign that his life is no longer enjoyable to him or to me, as he is a live pig who eats all day long. He will change his movements as he ages, just as I have, but I think Echo will let you know when he is ready.

You will have to walk thought the pain and the decision. Meanwhile, enjoy each and every day and moment you have with him.
Posted at 7:35 AM  

Blogger S said:

Your post made me cry. I know all to well how sad it is to loose a beloved "pet" I hope knowing what a wonderful life have given Echo will make it easier to help you both through this transition when it's time...*hugs*
Posted at 7:40 AM  

Blogger dAAve said:

"walks on all fours and drools a bit" ... sounds like me before I stopped drinking!
Posted at 8:36 AM  

Blogger Meegan said:

Beautiful post -- I am now teary-eyed. I agree with Barbara that you will just know when the time comes. Echo will know, too. I've been through this before, too, and I've felt a sense of deep comfort in knowing that I was releasing my pets from their pain. I'm glad Echo has had such a long and happy life.
Posted at 9:51 AM  

Blogger Fred said:

Nice post. We've always had three cats; when one passes on, we celebrate with a "re-birth" of sorts by getting a kitten.

But, like you, it absolutely tears the missus up when she has to make that call. She agonizes over it for months.

I normally don’t print out posts and share them, but this one's going straight to her reading stack.
Posted at 1:45 PM  

Blogger dddragon said:

Our Chatham is 18 now, three years older than Kiddie A&B. We worry, too. He gets his liver pill every day, he seems to have arthritis, but he's still interested in food and using me as a cat couch. I also dread the day when a decision will have to be made. I've already asked our vet if she would make a house call to euthanize him when things get too bad. She won't. But he's not exiting at the vet's office, he hates it too much. I want to find someone who will come here.

Hopefully we've got years yet with him. {Now I'm tearing up}
Posted at 2:50 PM  

Blogger TLP said:

I hope your Echo will die peacefully in her sleep and you will not have to decide anything other than where to bury her.
Posted at 3:46 PM  

Blogger The Lazy Iguana said:

I had to put down two of my cats. I had an orange fluffy cat and her mother cat. I got the orange fluffy cat as a kitten.

One day while I was at %$#%^$@%^$#@ work, the fluffy cat had a stroke or something. she lost her ability to stand up. She would just lie on her side. If you picked the cat up, or tried to flip her to the other side, her eyes would dart back and forth like she was dizzy. After 4 days I had a day off and did what I needed to. Work sucks. When I left at 4 AM that morning the cat was fine.

The momma cat had to be put down a few months later. She had a tumor caused by a protien in some car vaccine. The tumor was removed once but it came back. It got really big, and finally to the point where the cat had a hard time moving around.

I got Gigi, the calico cat, about a month before the fuzzy orange cat died. Sake came home with me after the momma cat had died. Then Fred showed up.
Posted at 5:22 PM  

Blogger Lila said:

Yeah. I'm with Tan Lucy Pez. I had a little kitty that I raised from a tiny baby... I adored her. It was so sad to me when she died. I was truly heartbroken.

But when I looked back on the kitty's life, after a little time, I was just happy that she'd been adored and had such a great life. She lived to a normal kitty age. That's all any of us can really ask for.
Posted at 9:42 PM  

Blogger GodlessMom said:

Thank you all for your kind words and insights and the wonderful stories about your own animal friends.

Echo is a very special little critter and I'm lucky to have her in my life.
Posted at 6:53 AM  

Blogger Watson Woodworth said:

When my ex and I split up she got our cats Kim, Gordon, and Lucy. I still visit them and I miss them terribly sometimes, even though I have two two-year-olds, Liam and Seamus to keep me company now.
Posted at 10:06 AM  

Blogger Zeppellina said:

Hi Godlessmom,

I know exactly what you mean, I raised a tiny kitten...I had seen her in a pet shop window..she was the smallest in the litter, with beautiful tiger stripes..but way too tiny. She fitted into the palm of my hand.
She,like the rest of the litter, had been far too young to have been removed from her mother.
I bought her, took her home, and she was too young to eat solids.
However, she grew up into the most wonderful friend, always full of mischief, and a loving and eccentric personality.
When she was 12 years old, one morning she was suddenly ill. Her back legs couldn`t support her, and she couldn`t eat.The vet said they would run tests, but that it didn`t look good.
That weekend, I slept with her on a cushion beside me..I didn`t want her to be alone..and hand fed her and gave her fluid every 2 hours.
I knew she was going, but I didn`t want her to die, even although I knew she would.
The bad news came at the vet on the Monday. They told me that it would be cruel to keep her going any longer.
I cried all the way home, and on and off for days.
I still miss her, she was a wonderful wee cat, and such a good friend, but now I always think of all the funny and daft things she used to do, and feel glad that she was there for 12 years.
I think you will know when the time is there, and it is right to think about it now, to prepare yourself.
But, enjoy what time is left.
Posted at 11:37 PM  

Add a comment