Godless Mom in the Bible Belt

Monday, August 08, 2005

My Mom

I want to thank everyone so much for all the kind words and thoughts regarding my mom. Everything went very well, she is home now and only slightly loopy on pain pills. The doctor repaired a partial ligament tear and he feels she will recover full use of her arm within a few months.

My mom is a very tough broad. She is strong willed and fearless, tenacious and honorable. If I had to find one fatal flaw in her it would be the fact that she is very forgiving of imperfections in others yet completely incapable of accepting them in herself.

I remember sitting on my mom's lap when I was six years old, noticing for the first time the grey hairs that had started to pepper her brown curls. I knew my parents were older than the parents of most my contemporaries and to me grey hairs were a sure sign of impending death. I spent the next few weeks with a very large lump of fear in my chest. Mom could tell I was out of sorts, and she finally coaxed me into telling her what had caused my anxiety. She kissed me and gave a good humored laugh then sat down and drew a simple time line on a plain white sheet of paper. She told me that she would probably live to be about 80 years old and that she was just a little over half way there. She assured me that barring any unseen event she would be around for a good long time. I went to sleep that night with a much easier heart.

It was so difficult sitting next to my mom's hospital bed Thursday afternoon, looking at her pale skin and waiting for each breath. I knew on an intellectual level that she would be fine but on an emotional level I felt like that same six year old who had just discovered those grey hairs.

Her hair is completely grey now and her hearing isn't nearly as sharp, she suffers from normal old-age forgetfulness and her reflexes have slowed. However, she is still strong willed and fearless, tenacious and honorable. I can only hope that if I am lucky enough to reach her age I too will have the same traits. I found my first grey hair a couple of months ago, I guess I still have a ways to go and a lot to learn.
posted by GodlessMom, 6:37 AM

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said:

My father got lyme disease this summer. I thought he had had a stroke because two of the nerves on his face stopped working. I know exactly how you feel when your parents begin to show the signs of old age. It is so scary. Papa is doing fine now and his last IV antibiotic treatment is today. I'm so glad your mom is ok. I am so honored to know and be known by both of your parents. They are pilars of strength and kindness.
Posted at 7:46 AM  

Blogger The Lazy Iguana said:

I am 31 and I have some grey hairs.

And I also worry about my parents. My mother forgets stuff, which is no big deal EXCEPT for the fact that her mother had altzhimers. And my dad had to have a heart bypass in 1991, and since then he has had to have angioplasty and some stints.

Not good on either case. But then again, not necessarly a sign that anything will happen either.
Posted at 10:34 AM  

Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said:

Having lost my father on July 14th, I understand your concerns.

I have been thinking about you and continue to send all good thoughts to you and your family.
Posted at 11:54 AM  

Blogger Urban Chick said:

i'm so glad to hear it all went well and that she is recovering well

she sounds like a fine woman! perhaps you should tell us some more stories about her on your blog sometime...

UC
x
Posted at 1:51 PM  

Blogger dddragon said:

lol - Mom was grey as a teenager. It's a nice frosted silver - looks so good that people think a salon did it!

Ain't it a bitch when parents age? Should be against the law.
Posted at 1:52 PM  

Blogger Watson Woodworth said:

I have some gray in my beard.
My dad has always been very muscular and into his sixties he seems to be shrinking. It's strange seeing him get so small.
I'm glad your mom's alright.
Posted at 4:56 PM  

Blogger Fred said:

I'm glad all went well. My mom and dad are 77 and 75; I worry about them all the time.
Posted at 5:45 PM  

Blogger Lila said:

I'm glad your mom is doing well. She sounds like a cool lady.
Posted at 9:50 PM  

Blogger Zeppellina said:

Glad to hear your mum is well, she sounds like an amazing lady.
I send my best wishes to her.
Posted at 11:40 PM  

Add a comment