Godless Mom in the Bible Belt

Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Wild thing...I think I love you

Most veterinary hospitals do an awful lot of work for animal charity, either free of charge or merely for the cost of supplies. For every veterinary hospital willing to do the work there are at least a dozen wildlife rehab or animal rescue organizations who are in dire need of veterinary assistance and who have very little money to pay for such services.

At the last hospital I worked for in Pheonix, the technicians would take turns volunteering their time to work with the charity cases. Usually this amounted to three to four hours a week of off-the-clock work, a small sacrifice when compared with the amount of good we could accomplish. I particularly enjoyed doing this sort of volunteer work because of the incredible variety of wildlife I came into contact with. I have had the privilege of working with many endangered species, many threatened species and many that are just plain cool.

I've helped pin broken bones on bald eagles, great horned owls, javelina and coyote. I've nursed beaver, Gila monster, porcupine and white tailed deer back to health. I've been involved in breeding and reintroduction programs for the highly endangered Mexican wolf and have help hand-raise numerous abandoned and orphaned infants of almost every species imaginable.

There are risks involved with such work. I was acquainted with someone who died of bubonic plague after being bitten by a flea while working with a wild jackrabbit population (His death was due to the fact that he thought he had the flu...By the time they figured out what was wrong with him it was too late.) I've been vaccinated against rabies the way most people are vaccinated against measles. You come home covered in fleas and smelling like wild game, you have to toss your clothes because the smell of male javelina urine doesn't wash out of anything. However, it is fascinating and heartwarming work and it's not something everyone gets a chance to do.

Wildlife rehab organizations are always in need of money, supplies and volunteers. The work they do is difficult and never ending. If you are so inclined and wish to help you can get in touch with rehab agencies through your veterinarian or your local Humane Society or ASPCA.
posted by GodlessMom, 5:30 AM

13 Comments:

Blogger dAAve said:

I once came home covered in fleas? and smelling of wild game, but it had nothing to do with javelina's.

Oh, the good old days.
Posted at 8:10 AM  

Blogger United We Lay said:

Cool! My husband LOVES animals. I have a post about it going right now. I think there is something truly special about a person who cares about animals. I find they have a certain connection with the universe.

PS. Your post just made me smile because it reminded me of one of the reasons I adore my husband (Fernando), but I rarely think about it.
Posted at 8:12 AM  

Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said:

Thank you for this post.

Wild life rehabilitation programs is something that I must confess knowing nothing about, and upon reading your post made me feel that this is another worthy cause to contribute.

My hat is definitely off to you, GM!
Posted at 8:47 AM  

Blogger United We Lay said:

We have gotten all of our animals from shelters. My beagle came to us badly abused with a broken rib. He's fine now, but reluctant to play with people. We've had him 3 years now, and he still won' play tug of rope, but he loves to chase the cats.
Posted at 9:22 AM  

Blogger Meegan said:

I think it's so cool that you did this. What amazing experiences. Yay, Godless Mom!
Posted at 9:25 AM  

Blogger Lila said:

What great work. I sometimes think that if I had my life to live over again -- and if I had a high school biology teacher who didn't completely ruin the subject for me -- I might become a vet.
Posted at 4:12 PM  

Blogger Watson Woodworth said:

I didn't even know that there were beaver and porcupine in the southwest.
Did you ever have to care for...bugs?
Posted at 4:31 PM  

Blogger TLP said:

I've always thought that this work would be wonderful. But never once did I realize that it's dangerous! Of course, it would be! But I didn't give it a thought before.

Thanks for doing it.
Posted at 4:48 PM  

Blogger Fred said:

I've always said the Missus would be pefect for this kind of work. She's very active in catching feral cats and returning them to their habitat once they're fixed. (Is that the right term?)

What a great experience for you, thanks for doing it.
Posted at 6:13 PM  

Blogger The Lazy Iguana said:

I want a Gila Monster!!!!

I would name it "toxic".
Posted at 6:19 PM  

Blogger GodlessMom said:

There are quite a few porcupine in the higher elevation areas of Arizona near Flagstaff and toward the Navajo nation. The beaver was a complete mystery. He was found in a drainage ditch near an orange orchard. Go figure. None of the zoos claimed him and he was VERY wild, not used to humans at all. We never did figure out where he came from but he was released back to the wild in Wyoming.
Posted at 8:30 PM  

Blogger Lucy Stern said:

It sounds like a very worthy cause. I have only worked with cats and dogs, so I am not aquainted with all the others you mentioned. Glad you have found a way to serve others, even the animals of our earth. Keep it up girl.
Posted at 9:36 PM  

Blogger Tom & Icy said:

Good human. Good human. Woof.
Posted at 11:58 AM  

Add a comment