Godless Mom in the Bible Belt

Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Little Bar of Soap's Questions for GodlessMom

In the continuing tradition of the five questions game Little Bar of Soap was kind enough to come up with five questions designed specifically for me.

They are all very interesting questions and it was a lot of fun coming up with answers. Thanks Soapy, I hope my answers aren't too filthy!

If you'd like me to come up with 5 personalized questions for you then just leave a comment saying "Interview me!" and I will do so!


Question 1.) If you could meet five figures from the Bible (Old Testament and New), who would they be?

1. Eve. In the Judeo/Christian/Islamic religions blame has been placed on this woman for just about every ill that has befallen humanity. I don't buy it. religion has been perpetuated by men for the benefit of men. I'd like to hear Eve's side of the story from her own mouth.

2. Lucifer. Again, I'd like to hear his side of the story.

3. Job. I'd like to discuss what his God did to him. I'd be interested in his thoughts and feelings on the matter.

4 and 5. Jesus and Paul. I'd actually like to get these two in a room together, ask them some questions and get them to compare notes. First I would introduce them and let them know how entwined their histories have become. I would let Jesus know what has happened to his philosophy since Paul got ahold of it and how modern Christians have twisted and warped the beauty of his message. I would ask Paul what his original intentions were and then ask Jesus if Paul's intentions and the subsequent mushrooming of Christianity are something he would endorse.

Question 2.) If you had to become a member of a religious denomination/sect, which one would you choose, and why?

I would join a religion I just recently learned about...Flying Spaghetti Monsterism. It is the only one that makes sense. :)

Question 3.) If you could invite five people over to Sunday brunch -- whether they're currently alive or not -- whom would you pick?

This is a really tough question. My mind has gone down the really obvious paths, like Isaac Newton and Thomas Jefferson. I have also thought about people I've admired in my life like Sally Ride, Carl Sagan and John Conyers. Yet, when I really search my heart I realize that the people I would most like to talk with are those in my family whom I didn't get to know before their deaths. I'd invite both sets of my grandparents and the uncle I was named after. I have many questions I'd like to ask them and I'd like to introduce them to my daughter.

4.) If you could travel to 3 places in the world, what would they be?

Denmark (My grandmother's home), New Zealand (No, not because of LOTR. I am interested in the plant life.), The Galapagos Islands.



5.) What was the happiest day of your life (excluding wedding days and births of children)?

A day I spent at a cabin in the Uinta Mountains with Scott when we were in our early twenties. We hiked, skipped stones on the lake, played poker, ate yummy camping food on the porch and spent a lot of time in bed. It was wonderful.


Thanks again for giving me such great questions Soapy!

On a more serious note, the deadline for the Iraqi Constitution has come and gone. They ammended their interim Constitution to give themselves one more week. I don't envy them, they are up against some seriously difficult issues. Juan Cole put together a really great summary of the situation in his August 15 post.
posted by GodlessMom, 5:11 AM

13 Comments:

Blogger Urban Chick said:

i really enjoyed reading your answers, GLM

as i think you know, one of the things we have in common is our godlessness, but in my case, it also combines with a woeful lack of knowledge about most religion (i'm not proud of myself for that)

but you seem to have some knowledge of the bible - maybe it has seeped in by osmosis because of your geography!?
Posted at 7:48 AM  

Blogger United We Lay said:

I would love to see the questions you come up with for me.
Posted at 8:09 AM  

Blogger A Little Bar of Soap said:

Thank you for playing the game, godlessmom! I have a few comments, however.

First, LUCIFER??? You'd want to meet LUCIFER???? Devil, get thee OUT!

Second, Flying Spaghetti Monsterism??? You mock me! Filth!

Third, you do, at least, have good family values. I think it is sweet that you're inviting family members. Now, you just need God family values.

Fourth, what are you, a filthy biologist? A disgusting Darwinist?

Fifth, I certainly hope you and Scott were already married before this experience!!!
Posted at 9:13 AM  

Blogger GodlessMom said:

Don and PC, Let me give your questions some thought. I'll post them on your blogs in a couple of days.

UC, I was raised by devout Christians and have spent many hours in Sunday School and church so most of my limited Biblical knowledge comes from that background. I don't know half as much as I would like to know, a person can spend a lifetime studying the subject!
Posted at 9:15 AM  

Blogger GodlessMom said:

Hey LBOS,

Yes, I would like to meet the Devil himself. I think it is important to try and see things from all points of view!

And the great, divine Flying Spaghetti Monster is all powerful and all seeing. I'm not mocking you...Okay, maybe a little bit!

You'll be happy to know that most of my family members are upstanding Christian types. I'll probably have to sit quietly while they give Thanks for our brunch.

Yep, my education is in biology. And I admire and respect the work of Charles Darwin. Guilty as charged.

And nope, we weren't married until our mid twenties!
Posted at 9:19 AM  

Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said:

Great answers!!!

I love the Flying spagetti one!

Who knows, it could be the great uniter of all humankind.

Be well.
Posted at 9:40 AM  

Blogger Lila said:

Your answers are really great, Godlessmom! I like the way you answered the Bible question, actually. I'd love to hear Jesus and Paul talk it out.
Posted at 2:37 PM  

Blogger TLP said:

Very good! Bravo LBOS on the questions. Well done, godless, on the answers.

I would never have thought of inviting family from the past to dinner. Somehow I would have thought of the great minds, etc. But how much more wonderful it would be to know my grandparents!
Posted at 3:15 PM  

Blogger Watson Woodworth said:

Interview me!
Did that come off as needy?
I also liked the Jesus/Paul summit idea.
But whenever I hear the name "Lucifer" I get "Sympathy for the Devil" in my head. You would then know if he was in need of some restraint.
Flying Spaghetti Monster does have a nice Johnny-Socko-and-his-Giant-Robot ring to it.
Posted at 4:07 PM  

Blogger GodlessMom said:

Okay NP, I'll come up with some questions for you too!
Posted at 10:30 PM  

Blogger dAAve said:

OK, I'm game. Interview me.
If possible, let's keep politics out of it. I'm burned out on that.
Posted at 5:55 AM  

Blogger GodlessMom said:

You want me to stay away from politics? That's like asking me to stay away from Oxygen!

I'll try to restrain myself! ;)
Posted at 6:17 AM  

Blogger Aerodynamicist said:

The Spaghetti Monster thing made my day. I will now have to post that link.
Posted at 10:52 AM  

Add a comment