Godless Mom in the Bible Belt

Friday, September 16, 2005

Those who share my DNA

The first week of kindergarten went very well for Liz. She seems to be adapting well and has made a few new friends. Her teachers enjoy her and she seems to really like the school campus. She did have a bit of an emotional melt-down on Thursday morning, I think it was sinking in that she would have to do the school thing every day. She recovered nicely though and has been happy and positive since. Overall I'd say that it has been a rousing success.

My sister was with me for the better part of the week, visiting from Denver. She has leukemia/lymphoma and is in remission. However, she has to do maintainence chemo every 6 months. I was amazed at how it drained all the energy from her body. She would go to bed by 9:00 in the evening, sleep until 7:30 or 8:00 and then take a 3 or 4 hour nap during the day. She seemed to really enjoy her visit though. We just played the veggie game, talking, reading and watching Lord of the Rings. It was nice and relaxing and it was really good to see her.

My father's mind seems to be slipping a little more each day. My mom has made him do the dishes since she had surgery on her shoulder in July (Mom is still in a sling.) Daddy will wash and dry the dishes but he can't remember where the clean dishes go, even though he puts them away two times a day. He keeps trying and has a good attitude about the whole thing but it is difficult to see him fading like this.

My family is wonderful. I'm very, very lucky to be surrounded by so much love.

I'll be back Monday. Have a great weekend!
posted by GodlessMom, 9:05 PM

6 Comments:

Blogger Lucy Stern said:

Glad that Liz had a good first week at school. I have heard that Chemo can zap your energy. We just found out that my husband's mother has lung cancer. She smokes like a coal stove, so it is not surprising. The hard thing is that it hurts to watch our parents go thru this. My dad died 5 years ago and I still think about him almost every day. I have a great family too.
Posted at 3:37 AM  

Blogger Fred said:

Yes, you are lucky. Many, many people could not make that statement.

Thanks for the family updates - it sounds as though you've got a full plate!

Have a great weekend.
Posted at 3:16 PM  

Blogger TLP said:

Checking in to say hello.

Happy for Liz, but I'm sure you knew she would thrive in school.

Sorry about your dad's fading memory.
Posted at 8:30 AM  

Blogger Lila said:

Sorry about your sister and dad. They're lucky to have you, too! Yeah... poor Liz. It just keeps going and going, doesn't it? EVERY day, school? Too much!
Posted at 11:28 PM  

Blogger dddragon said:

Glad that Liz is doing well, sorry 'bout your sis and dad. My DH and his brother are having difficulty dealing with their mom's Alzheimer's.
Posted at 11:50 AM  

Blogger Saur♥Kraut said:

Bless your heart. It must be very tough to see a parent slipping away like that. I am not looking forward to it and hope it never comes, but I saw it happen to my grandmother. It can be heart breaking.
Posted at 8:38 PM  

Add a comment