Godless Mom in the Bible Belt

Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Bit of bad news

Well, last night as I was getting ready to leave for Arkansas I received a phone call from the Humane Society. One of the pups I was scheduled to adopt has come down with Parvo Virus so now my pup and all the other young-ens at the shelter are under quarantine and won't be able to leave for at least another week.

Parvo is a really weird virus. It likes cool air so you see it more in the spring and autumn, (although some seasons it will go straight through summer and winter too.) It also changes from season to season. Some years it is VERY virulent and will plow through like a freight train in a really nasty way, killing almost every pup who comes into contact with it. Other years it is a little more benign, merely making pups sick for a few days and never really spreading like wildfire. Even the less evil strains of the virus are still difficult to deal with though. There is always severe bloody diarrhea and vomiting, dehydration is a big issue. Some years there is horrible fever that accompanies the virus, other years not so much.

Apparently, the strain going about Arkansas this season isn't too bad so I'm hoping that my sick pup will survive and my other pup will escape infection. Unfortunately these pups didn't get to nurse from their mother for very long so they don't have the maternal antibodies that would normally boost their little immune systems.

So, needless to say I won't be going to Arkansas after all, at least not this week. I'll post if I get any new news.
posted by GodlessMom, 5:49 AM

10 Comments:

Blogger Saur♥Kraut said:

Yeah, my doggies need to be scheduled to go in for their vaccines. Thanks very much for reminding me about it. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!
Posted at 7:09 AM  

Blogger dAAve said:

That's a shame. I know you must be disappointed, but hopefully they will be Ok. I'm sure you're looking forward to that lovely drive up Hwy 59 through Texarkana. Once you get into Arkansas though, it's quite scenic.
Posted at 8:12 AM  

Blogger Lila said:

Sorry to hear about the little pup! I hope he gets better soon!
Posted at 5:02 PM  

Blogger Fred said:

Darn. Hope the puppy gets well and you're able to make the trip.
Posted at 7:53 PM  

Blogger TLP said:

Bummer! Major woe. So sorry.
Posted at 9:08 PM  

Blogger Linda Jones Malonson said:

People who love animals are so very speical. I use to take in strays when I had children at home --- When they moved out they took them all. I think now I need to get me a pet, but can't deside on what right now. Dogs/cats give you such unconditional love.

Hope the pups get better soon!
Posted at 10:50 PM  

Blogger EarthCitizen #23 said:

Hey, Hope the pup comes through OK,
Parvo is weird, I used to be a veterinary technician and have seen some very strange cases. Hopefully they caught it soon enough to combat it effectively. My thoughts will be with you and the puppies .....
Scott
Posted at 11:42 PM  

Blogger EarthCitizen #23 said:

Hey, Hope the pup comes through OK,
Parvo is weird, I used to be a veterinary technician and have seen some very strange cases. Hopefully they caught it soon enough to combat it effectively. My thoughts will be with you and the puppies .....
Scott
Posted at 11:43 PM  

Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said:

That is a shame.

Bill Mahr is one of my favorite comedians on T.V. this days. Bush bashing is his entire show!

Hope your puppie gets better. Enjoy your time with your daughter at home. (they grwo too quickly.)
Posted at 10:49 PM  

Blogger Lucy Stern said:

Let us know how the puppies do.
Posted at 1:02 PM  

Add a comment