Godless Mom in the Bible Belt

Sunday, September 25, 2005

Hurricane Rita

Sept 24, 2005

There is beauty in the power of nature. As I walked out onto my back porch this morning, coffee in hand, I looked into a crystal blue sky completely devoid of pollution. I breathed in air that was fresh with the smell of rain and wet vegetation and watched the doves lazily mill about my lawn looking for fallen seeds.

If I didn't know better I would think I was standing on top of a mountain in Montana or laying on my back in the red sands of my beloved desert, so clear was the air and so blue was the sky. But I'm not in Montana nor am I in Utah. I'm in Houston, Texas, the fourth largest city in the United States.

Over the course of 72 hours the city had undergone a massive change. A huge percentage of the vehicles which normally crowd it's streets had been driven off to parts unknown and the winds and rain of Rita had come through like a freight train, blowing away the pollution, washing clean the stench and sending the human population scurrying into their closets. Mother nature had done in two days what the Department of transportation and the EPA have been trying to do for decades...Reduce the amount of traffic on the streets and clean up the air.

As hurricanes go, Houston was very lucky. Most of us had to deal with fallen branches and power outages, I'm going to have to replace the gate into my backyard, but these things are easy to deal with and seem less than trivial when compared to the massive damage done just east of our city. I've seen different maps breaking down the intensity of the storm, but it seems that my area of town had sustained winds between 50 and 75 mph. We had very little rain, a fact that truly surprised me.

By far the most disastrous thing to happen to Houston was the evacuation. I live less than a mile from one of the main highways out of Houston, Interstate 290. It was a parking lot from Wednesday at 3:00 pm until Friday afternoon. During the peak of the exodus it was taking almost 30 hours to drive from Houston to Austin, normally a 3-4 hour trip.

We had originally planned on sheltering a family of five in our home. However, as it became apparent that many people wouldn't be able to get out of town before the storm hit the population in our house grew, we directed family and friends to our house and made up beds on couches and floors. By the time the storm hit we had thirteen people in our home, all of us waiting and watching. Each time a new report would surface regarding the projected path of the storm it became more and more apparent that our decision to stay put had been a good one and by midnight everyone had gone to sleep.

Everyone but me that is. I knew the storm wasn't going to hit hurricane levels near our home, but the wind was incredible. It was coming from all directions, battering our trees and whistling around the roof and between the house and garage. I stayed awake all night, ready to raise the alarm should the storm grow to dangerous levels. (truth be told, I'm a really light sleeper and couldn't have slept through the noise anyway.) Fortunately I didn't need to awaken anyone and as the sun came up on Saturday morning I breathed a sigh of relief, made a pot of coffee for my guests and went to bed.

The stores are still closed, the gas stations are still out of gas and Liz won't go back to school until Tuesday. Other than that, all is well and Interstate 290 is once again crowded with people coming back into town. I'm sure the pollution will be back by this evening.
posted by GodlessMom, 8:07 PM

14 Comments:

Blogger Linda Jones Malonson said:

I had a lot of reading to catch up on here this morning .. and was glad when I got to this post. You are indeed a kind soul and I am so glad you and your family is safe.

I live in Sugarland and the winds wasn't bad at all ... we got very little rain and never lost power. Of course I live near 59, so other parts could have been worst, but I don't see it. We were blessed and it seem so was Houston.

This post read like a story in a book that I know I would enjoy reading to the end. You are right about Mother Nature, the quietness of our area was so peaceful, it was unbelievable.

Like you, we have stayed out of everybody's way. My daughter got in from San Antoine this morning ... and I was glad to see her, but not so happy that she will be taking Sid the mutt away ..

I tell you what I am not looking forward to, and that is, the price of gasoline.

Peace and blessing ...
Posted at 9:03 AM  

Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said:

I was thinking about you and our other Houston bloggers as well, and am delighted that you are all alright.

It is amazing how these kinds of events can give us 'clearer vision' if you will, and open our eyes to see what we did not know was truly there beforehand.

Enjoy your day, and I hope it is peaceful!
Posted at 10:25 AM  

Blogger pack of 2 said:

My parents live in Friendswood, TX & were in a flood surge zone.
I was freaking out because they are 27 miles from Galveston.
They couldn't leave because of all the traffic coming through I-45.
Glad you & yours are fine. Mine are too. The details are on my blog if you want to know more.

Enjoy the clean air while it lasts.
From one former Houstonian to another...I know how rare clean air is there.

Shelly
Posted at 1:37 PM  

Blogger dAAve said:

We gots real lucky.
Posted at 2:39 PM  

Blogger Fred said:

I'm glad it all worked out for you. I remember after Andrew - the skies were sooo blue for a few days. It was as if the hurricane sucked all the clouds out of the atmosphere.

Enjoy your pollution-free day.
Posted at 5:03 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said:

Hey lady, Glad you are alright. I left with two single sisters and my husband stayed to gaurd the house. We waited till 8:00pm. Thursday night to leave and it took me only 45 minutes to get from 1960 to Hwy. 6 on I-10. Much slower from that point on. It took a total of 10 hours to get from my house to San Antonio. No bad considering. I came home yesterday and it only took 3 1/2 hours. Smooth sailing all the way. My husband was out in the front yard cleaning up the pine needles and leaves. I am so grateful the we did not get the full force of this hurricane. Still working on composing my story.
Posted at 7:10 PM  

Blogger TLP said:

You are so nice to take folks in! Glad all is well now.
Posted at 7:47 PM  

Blogger Blueberry said:

Glad you made it through alright! I wish Austin could have also taken some of the wind and rain. It has been 108 degrees for 2 days and we could have used a cloud for shade. Hope this hurricane season is finally over!
Posted at 9:33 PM  

Blogger Lila said:

Enjoy the clean air...

Glad you're all safe and sound!!
Posted at 9:56 PM  

Blogger The Lazy Iguana said:

Glad you guys missed the bullet. It was a fake hurricane for you too it seems.

In 1992, after hurricane Andrew, what I remember the most is the night sky. You could see it. All the street lights were knocked out, as was a good deal of the power. My area was dark. Dark enough that I could not count the number of stars in the sky.
Posted at 11:15 PM  

Blogger Martin said:

It's great to see that you took people in and made the best of it. I'm also happy to hear that you all made it through Rita. I can't imagine being there and am happy I'm in an area that doesn't have extreme weather (ok, it's dry.) I do really think of the Earth and Mother Nature as one and the same and that it reclaims area for the eco-system. Let's just hope the season goes by without much more damage.
Posted at 9:58 AM  

Blogger dddragon said:

Glad to hear that it was all okay for you and yours. Been thinking of you.
Posted at 12:47 PM  

Blogger Kyahgirl said:

I'm so glad you and yours are ok.

I have been thinking of you throughout the last week.
Laura
Posted at 2:18 PM  

Blogger Scott W said:

We had planned to leave north on 290 to go to Waco. Didn't know we pass your place when we make that trip. Small world.
Posted at 4:47 PM  

Add a comment