Godless Mom in the Bible Belt

Thursday, September 29, 2005

My Ugly Little Secret

Alright, I admit it, I watch TV.

"Reality" TV has never done anything for me, I quit watching reality shows after the second Survivor. I've never really been interested in dramas like ER or Law and Order. Sitcoms have never really done much for me either, although I will occasionally watch a re-run of Friends I can honestly say I've never seen an episode of Seinfeld.

I like my TV with a bit of a supernatural twist, add in a side order of sci-fi and I'm hooked! Star Trek had me from and early age and I was weaned on Twilight Zone. As I grew older I continued to follow the Star Trek spin-offs and I loved X-Files. One of my deepest TV loves was Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I know, I know...the movie sucked but the series was prime GodlessMom viewing!

This last year has seen some seriously great supernatural/sci-fi type stuff on the tube. The new Battlestar Galactica on Sci-Fi channel is awesome (Sci-Fi also shows Stargate...Another great one!) , ABC's Lost is fabulous, Smallville on the WB can be counted on for a Thursday night diversion and we have the new offerings of Invasion and Supernatural on ABC and WB respectively which may prove to be worth a look-see. I'm in sci-fi geek heaven!

Now the biggest problem is deciding which programs are actually worth devoting my limited TV time to. I have TiVo, so I don't have to watch them when they are actually broadcast but I don't want to spend my days watching sci-fi the way some women spend their days with soap operas! Decisions, decisions.

Incidentally, if you are a Buffy fan you may be interested to know that today Joss Whedon's new feature film Serenity will premiere in theaters. Also, James Marsters (Spike from Buffy) is playing a supervillian on Smallville this season. The bleach blonde curls are gone but the chiseled jawline remains! Also, David Boreanaz (Angel) has a new series called Bones...Basic FBI/forensic scientist stuff (no supernatural or sci-fi) but it might be worth checking out too.

I'll be back on Monday, happy weekend everyone!
posted by GodlessMom, 10:24 AM

14 Comments:

Blogger Lila said:

Buffy was a fine show.

I think almost all of us Americans spend too much time watching TV. I know I do.
Posted at 9:21 PM  

Blogger Blueberry said:

I am right there with you on the Twilight Zone, X-Files, (Classic) Star Trek, and Lost! We already have our Serenity tickets for Friday night.
Posted at 9:26 PM  

Blogger Kristie said:

Lost is by far one of my fav tv shows. (i am not really a tv person...catching the recorded episodes all in one shot on the nights my insomnia is keeping me up). My other fav over the summer was the 4400. did you catch that one? ooh, good stuff.

-k-
Posted at 11:23 AM  

Blogger Meegan said:

No Seinfeld???!!! I'm in shock. Friends doesn't do it for me, but Seinfeld has me laughing out loud every time, even the episodes I've seen 10 times.
Posted at 12:22 PM  

Blogger pack of 2 said:

I love tv & I LOVE Tivo!!
I don't know how I ever lived without Tivo!

Shelly
Posted at 1:32 PM  

Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said:

Not a Buffy fan, but I love Law and Order! Have you seen the new show, Criminal Minds? Actually, I am enjoying it, a touch of forensics, psychology and criminology.

Have a good weekend!
Posted at 4:11 PM  

Blogger dddragon said:

You're a woman after my own heart. I also watch (too much) tv. And mostly the SciFi Channel. We went to a Gatecon earlier this year!!!
Posted at 4:34 PM  

Blogger Watson Woodworth said:

I'm with Meegan on Seinfeld. I'm also a big Joss Whedon fan.
But now that I'm back on my own again I have reverted back to my old TV-ignoring ways. I largely use the TV to watch movies these days.
Posted at 4:52 PM  

Blogger dddragon said:

godlesss, check AP3's comments for a link between you and Herbie!!
Posted at 5:08 PM  

Blogger United We Lay said:

I think the type of TV show you like to watch says a lot aboout you as a person. I like to analye the writing, the acting, the believability of the story, etc. I can't just watch. My husband and I are disappointed that a lot of the network shows are the same this year, but we have our faviorites. We LOVE the West Wing, but we think Commander-in-Chief is promising. We like Invasion much more than Surface, and we think Medium is much better than the Ghost Whisperer. Crossing Jordan is much better than Bones, which is a shameful copy. As a writer, I find it important to watch good drama and sci-fi as well as read everything I can get my hands on. People often dismiss the merits of TV, but dialogue is difficult to write, and some of these shows do it very well. Wow, I really AM a geek. I can't help it. I analyze everything.
Posted at 9:49 PM  

Blogger Saur♥Kraut said:

Yep! Me too on all that. I just figure it's smarter than soaps, so I don't feel TOO guilty...
Posted at 7:11 AM  

Blogger Fred said:

I've just about given up on TV. I blog instead. Or, I blog with the TV as background noise just so I can be with the kids.
Posted at 8:54 AM  

Blogger TLP said:

I don't watch much television. We have three sets, all with cable, but I don't like much that's on.

Niks watches CNN all the time. I find that depressing actually.

When I do watch something, it's in order to be with him. In that case he's watching Law and Order.

However, I love public T.V. Nova is good, for example. I just forget to watch it.
Posted at 11:43 AM  

Blogger Linda Jones Malonson said:

I love Sci-Fi and anything fantasy related. I grew up on Twilight Zone, and Samantha the Witch, fantasy Island. The X-files, Trek, Lost, yes ... yes, I am hooked on the Sci-Fi Channel.

I also love Law & Order CI and CSI shows --- but Seinfeld, naw ... I would do anything for love, but I wouldn't do that.
Posted at 10:27 PM  

Add a comment