Godless Mom in the Bible Belt

Tuesday, October 04, 2005

There's one in every family

My great grandfather was a sonofabitch. A huge red-haired man with eyes like ice and fists like meat mallets, he plowed through life with little thought to the consequences of his actions leaving misery and scores of children in his wake.

He immigrated to the US from Denmark as a child, finding his way to Utah where his family joined the community with gusto. At the age of 19 he returned to Denmark to serve his mission for the LDS church. He served the mission without incident (as far as we know) and on the ship ride home he met great grandma. She was young, petite and beautiful, a heart shaped face and enormous blue eyes framed by pale blonde hair. She was immigrating with her family to the United States but had no idea where they would end up once they arrived. I guess grandpa was still in mission mode because he had converted her entire family before the ship docked and convinced them all to join him in Utah.

They were married five months later, within six years they had five children. At this point he became bored with his Danish bride and he left her for her sister. He fathered eight children with my great aunt then left her and returned to my great grandma who gave him three more children. Eventually he died and left both women without a cent to their names. Rumor followed his death that he actually had another wife somewhere south of Salt Lake, I'm sure there were plenty of children involved in that relationship too.

I don't know if he had delusions of following the traditional Mormon doctrine of polygamy but couldn't manage to bring himself to openly defy the law or whether he was just a scoundrel who couldn't keep his unit in his pants. Whatever the reason, I share DNA with a whole lot of Utahns because of that man.

My grandma was asked if she remembered anything about him. The only story she could remember was watching him carry a Shetland Pony across a bridge on a bet. So aside from being very fertile he was also very strong. It's sad that she couldn't remember anything better.

My grandma grew up without her father and married my grandpa when she was 14 years old. She had my father when she was 16. My daddy's eyes are ice blue too. That is where all similarity ends between him and his grandfather.
posted by GodlessMom, 6:04 AM

11 Comments:

Blogger Lucy Stern said:

Woah! I'm glad that I didn't grow up in that time frame. I don't think I could have handled the polygamy thing. I have a wonderful husband and I am sorry but I am not going to share him with anyone. I suppose that is why the Lord saved me for this day and time. I wonder how long I would have lasted with the hand carts? Those were brave people who showed great faith but gave their lives for it.

Sorry you have such bad memories of your great grandfather. Those were hard times but he could have done more for all his children.

I was raised Baptist but I remember as a little girls reading about our young nation and the "pioneers" who settled in various parts of the country to get our nation growing. It always mystified me and had me wondering what it would be like to be a pioneer. Then I grew up and at the age of 27 learned more about some of those pioneers. Life was hard for them, but I always thought they were brave for doing what they were doing. You can guess the "rest of the story". Thanks for sharing.
Posted at 10:28 AM  

Blogger GodlessMom said:

I've tried pulling those hand carts and I have to tell you, it is REALLY difficult. I can't imagine crossing the country like that, you've got to admire that kind of courage.

I can't imagine sharing my husband either, but what amazes me is that there are so many polygamist communities in Utah still. There is a community just north of Nephi that has hundreds of little blonde children, you can always tell when the polygamist families come to town to shop because the sun starts reflecting so brightly off all those little blonde heads.

I knew a few kids growing up who were from such communities and I know a couple of adults who were raised that way but have left the lifestyle. It is a different way of thinking and a different flavor of Mormonism all together. I imagine there are some people who are quite happy in the lifestyle and others who would do anything to get out of it.
Posted at 2:02 PM  

Blogger Kyahgirl said:

I'm sorry godless mom, that's a sad story. That whole philosophy is so alien to me.
Posted at 3:05 PM  

Blogger Watson Woodworth said:

I did not inherrit my father's way with women. (he actually had one) He claims that I am his only offspring. He's got to be kidding.
Posted at 4:23 PM  

Blogger Fred said:

So glad the similarities ended there. Unfortunately, my FIL has the same traits as his father, which ended up in a divorce and a bitter family to this day, some thirty years later.
Posted at 4:42 PM  

Blogger dAAve said:

Interesting story. Sounds like some old-type movie. Quite believable though accepting that the frame-of-mind culture was much different in those days, especially with those from rural Denamrk.
Posted at 5:24 PM  

Blogger Lila said:

Just makes me think of the song "Papa Was a Rolling Stone" for some reason...
Posted at 7:23 PM  

Blogger TLP said:

Wow. Quite a family trail there.

It makes interesting reading, but I feel so sorry for the poor women that were involved. Just girls really and truly.
Posted at 8:48 PM  

Blogger dddragon said:

Egads.
Posted at 12:22 PM  

Blogger United We Lay said:

My husband's father was a bad man. He was a doctor and a pill popper. He refused to come to our wedding because I'm and American. He also refused to ever speak to me in English. He though I understood a lot less than I did and he said terrible things. He was abusive to his children and his wife. He called her a whore for 40 years and they died together because his pride wouldn't let her drive even though his hands were arthritic and the truck was overloaded. But, for years he treated poor hispanic patients in the city for little or nothing. He made house calls until he retired. And he was an ER doctor, which is incredibly difficult. My husband is a great man. You never know how it evens out.
Posted at 2:18 PM  

Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said:

What an interesting story.

Are you sure there are only 16 out there?

Accepting our family memebers for who they are is not an easy task.
Posted at 4:16 PM  

Add a comment