Godless Mom in the Bible Belt

Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Allison and Rita

June 6, 2001

We had been warned that a tropical storm was headed toward Houston but the winds were well below hurricane strength and no one was particularly worried about it. Houston gets a lot of rain on a regular basis so we don't really get our panties in a bunch when rain is in the forecast. Tropical Storm Allison really looked like just a big rain storm and so it was business as usual in Houston.

She came, she went, we had a little bit of flooding but nothing unusual, life went on.

Then Allison pulled a fast one. On June 8, 2001 she made an unexpected turn and headed back toward Houston. Then, rather than moving on she decided to stay a while. The storm stalled out over the city and in a 24 hour period there were parts of Houston that received almost 38 inches of rain.

It was unbelievable. Scott was stuck downtown, he and a couple of co-workers had managed to find a hotel room but the roads were flooded and he was unable to come home. I sat alone in the dark with my 10 week old baby wondering if I'd ever see my husband again. I live on a cul de sac and the circle out in front of my house was a lake. I have to give credit to the engineers who designed the drainage for my neighborhood though, when the sun came up on June 9 there wasn't even a standing puddle in my yard. Scott managed to get home late that afternoon.

His building, one of the main highrise office buildings in downtown Houston, was closed for two months due to flood damage. The total damage exceeded 5 billion dollars. Allison has the dubious honor of being the only tropical storm to ever have her name retired without ever hitting hurricane strength.

No one expects Rita to drop anywhere near as much rain as Allison. However, we will have hurricane force winds to contend with. They are already evacuating Galveston, as of tomorrow morning it will be mandatory, the areas near the bay and shipping areas will be evacuated tomorrow and several school districts have announced school closures for tomorrow through the end of the week.

I've got a family of five who will be staying with me for the duration (starting tomorrow night.) A man, his wife, their two children and their 96 year old grandmother. I'm concerned about keeping grandma cool enough if the power goes out. My parents will be leaving the city tomorrow morning, Daddy has to sleep with a C-PAP machine so he HAS to have power available to him. This ought to be interesting!

I probably won't post until after this is over. Fellow Houstonians, please let me know if I can help in any way. I hope everyone has a great weekend with minimal storm damage.
posted by GodlessMom, 9:40 PM

14 Comments:

Blogger Craig said:

take care, will be thinking of you
Posted at 8:25 AM  

Blogger United We Lay said:

Good luck. If you need anything when this is over, let me know. We're moving and clearing out the estate, so we have some extra funiture, a washing machine and dryer, and some bedding.
Posted at 10:07 AM  

Blogger Urban Chick said:

gosh, hope all is ok - take care...
Posted at 2:05 PM  

Blogger dddragon said:

I hope all goes well.
Posted at 2:13 PM  

Blogger dAAve said:

Good luck up north.
I'm staying put in Montrose.
Posted at 2:55 PM  

Blogger TLP said:

Here's hoping for this storm to harm NONE.
Posted at 5:28 PM  

Blogger Saur♥Kraut said:

One of my close friends has a mother in law in Houston. She's very worried about her...
Posted at 7:32 PM  

Blogger Fred said:

I know what you're going through. Best of luck; we're all hoping and praying that all ends well.
Posted at 8:36 PM  

Blogger Lila said:

Good luck! I'll be thinking of you!
Posted at 9:07 PM  

Blogger Zeppellina said:

Take care, godlessmom, we will all be thinking of you.
Hope to hear that you are all safe and well soon.
Posted at 12:20 PM  

Blogger Kyahgirl said:

sending lots of warm and supportive thoughts your way. I hope you will be ok and back blogging soon,
Laura
Posted at 12:23 PM  

Blogger pack of 2 said:

Take care. I will be thinking of you as well as my family in Friendswood TX.

Be careful,

Shelly
Posted at 12:38 PM  

Blogger Meegan said:

I've been thinking about you and your family as I've been watching the news. I hope you are safe.
Posted at 1:55 PM  

Blogger Saur♥Kraut said:

Good luck, hon. Our thoughts are with you.
Posted at 6:07 PM  

Add a comment