Godless Mom in the Bible Belt

Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Real Time with GodlessMom

I really enjoy watching Real Time with Bill Maher on Friday nights. For those of you who might be unfamiliar with the program, Bill Maher hosts a program where political and social issues are discussed in a no-punches-pulled kind of way. He usually does a personal interview with someone famous and then has a round table discussion with a panel of three guests. Current events and current topics are bantered about and I usually walk away having learned something.

Now, I don't always agree with Bill. He is a far Left kind of guy with some extreme ideas but I respect the way he calls it like he sees it. He stirs up controversy and gets people thinking. I like that.

Last Friday's show was a really good one. First off, he interviewed Ann Coulter. Now, for reasons too obvious to go into, I don't much like Ms. Coulter. I think she is evil. During the course of the interview I got to see Ann Coulter back step on her support of George Bush due to her dislike of his recent Supreme Court nominee Harriet Miers. That made me smile. Annie dear, you made your bed, you lie in it.

However, the point of this post is not Ann Coulter. What I would like to discuss is a comment Bill Maher made and the resulting conversation on his panel. His panel was made up of conservative blogger Andrew Sullivan, actor Ben Affleck and author Salman Rushdie. I've cut some of the text out for the sake of brevity (and by brevity I mean I didn't transcribe the entire hour...grin.)

Bill Maher: There is no diversity of religion in the country. George Bush does have a diverse cabinet when it comes to race, they've done a pretty good job: Colin Powell, Condoleezza Rice, so forth. But, you know, I don't think race makes someone as diverse nowadays as how you think about religion and there is no secular voice, there's no voice of Me in this cabinet. Everyone who gets appointed has to be not just Christey but Super-Christey; Double-dog Christey. Twice-born Christey. But you know what? People of faith, and when I hear "people of faith" I think "Well those are people who suspend rational judgment for nonsensical bullshit that they believe." Where is the diversity of the people who think like myself and perhaps like you [points to Rushdie.]

Ben Affleck: I think that's oversimplifying and perhaps a bit insulting.

Andrew Sullivan: Thank you Ben.

Ben Affleck: People of faith aren't stupid [just because] they're people of faith. I mean, I just disagree. I think that's stupid, in fact, to suggest that. I think that ultimately-

Bill Maher: What they have is a mental block.

Ben Affleck: Well there may be on the edge of whatever religious extreme of whatever religious spectrum you want to look at, but there is certainly a gamut, and just saying well someone who is religious whether they are Jewish or an Orthodox Jew or a Christian who goes to church once a week or four times a week or believes that every word that is in the Bible is literal. Or, like the president thinks, well it isn't all literal but I believe in it. [Their belief] Doesn't inherently make them stupid.

Bill Maher: Really? If you believe the word of the Bible literally, if you believe the world is five thousand years old, that's not stupid?

Ben Affleck: I think most religious people, like, don't think that Jonah lived in the belly of a whale for two hundred years-

Bill Maher: In America they do-

Overtalk regarding how many Americans believe in Biblical inerrancy.

Andrew Sullivan: Bill, I'm a person of faith and I rather resent being called stupid.

Bill Maher: I'm not calling you stupid-

Andrew Sullivan: Yes you did-

Bill Maher: No, I'm saying it's a mental block.

Andrew Sullivan: I'm saying you have a mental block when it comes to people of faith.

Bill Maher: No, I had a mental block when I was a child, when they taught me this nonsense and when I got to be an adult I got over it.

More overtalk.

Salman Rushdie: A couple of years ago before the Iraq nonsense began I was invited to Washington and I got to speak to a group of senators of both parties and the thing that was most obviously different between the Democrats and the Republicans was that the Republicans exclusively used religious language. Exclusively. And the Democrats did not. That really scared me. There was one of the Senators, which I guess I shouldn't name, who asked me why it was that Osama Bin Laden said that America was a Godless country? He was really offended by that, he said, "We're not Godless, we're very Godly." And I said, "Well, I guess Mr. Bin Laden doesn't think so."

Bill Maher: If only he knew us better, he might like us better.

Salman Rushdie: Yes, [there is] a lot in common.

Andrew Sullivan: People of faith are not talking about what is known, they're talking about what is not known and what we cannot know. And genuine people of faith are not going to make these asinine statements like Franklin Graham or these nutcases that you point out. They are going to be humble in front of God, they are going to recognize that there are some things science cannot tell you: The meaning of the universe, the point of our lives, what morality is, what happens to us after death, how we should treat our fellow human beings. Those questions, I think, in true people of faith who don't seek to impose on other people, who are just trying to find a way to live their lives in a good way. By demonizing all people of faith what you are doing is playing into the hands of these fundamentalists. The United States is based on a separation of church and state and that is why religion is so strong in this country. The Republican party has betrayed that tradition and you're right to call them on it, but don't, DON'T conflate that with the greatness of many religions and the greatness of many people in them.

Bill Maher: I'm sorry, but they are your fellow travelers-

The conversation breaks down a bit, some argument regarding the beauty vs. darkness of organized religion.

Andrew Sullivan: The people who take their faith seriously I think are also respectful of people of other faiths and also respectful of people with no faith at all.

Salman Rushdie: That's not true. That's not true at all.

Andrew Sullivan: I'm not saying that everybody is, I'm saying that people who really, for example, listen to the words of Jesus and the Gospels are not going to try and depress other people. The message of Jesus, if you listen to it, is of compassion and tolerance of people.

Bill Maher: I love Jesus, I just don't like the Christians who don't believe in what he says.

Ben Affleck: See, now you're making a good point. If you look at the Old Testament, the New Testament, The Quran, the practices none of this is explicitly preaching violence or oppression. There are idiots and assholes in all walks of life. They're everywhere.

Salman Rushdie: They do seem to be in charge.

End transcript


This is the type of conversation that plays out over and over again when we speak about religion in our country and the roll it plays. I think that this conversation with this panel had the potential to really go some wonderful places. Unfortunately Bill opened the whole thing by being unnecessarily inflammatory which set the whole thing off on the wrong foot.

Bill has a good point, it is hard to know the exact numbers but it is estimated that between 10 and 16% of our country would fall into the atheist/agnostic category. Granted, it isn't even close to a majority, but it isn't a percentage to sneeze at either. Yet, you see virtually no secular people in our government, particularly in the Bush cabinet. I would like to hear a discussion on that matter as it is one close to my heart. However, Bill had to go and make the "nonsensical bullshit" comment which sent the whole conversation in the wrong direction.

Ben Affleck also makes some good points. People of faith in our country really do run the gamut, there is a whole spectrum of beliefs out there ranging from quiet personal spirituality tempered by logic to wild-eyed zealots who wield their beliefs like a sword and accept no disagreement. It is unfair and wrong to judge all religious people by those who make the worst impression.

Andrew Sullivan is absolutely correct when he says that the teachings of Jesus are about love and tolerance and Bill Maher echoes my sentiments exactly when he said, "I love Jesus, I just don't like the Christians who don't believe what he said."

I also think Andrew Sullivan makes a very good point when he tells Bill that by demonizing all people of faith Bill is playing right into the hands of the fundamentalists.

I think Salman Rushdie sums up the entire thing though when he said, "They (the assholes) do seem to be in charge."

I like Bill Maher, I think he serves an important role in a society where the media is lame and all but useless. His confrontational nature serves to cut through bullshit and put the real issues front and center. However, like any other pundit he is extreme. It is unfortunate that his is the lone voice of atheism in news/entertainment media. Almost like Jerry Falwell being the lone voice of Christianity and Osama Bin Laden being the lone voice of Islam...Okay, maybe he's not THAT extreme but you get my point. Sigh.
posted by GodlessMom, 5:47 AM

18 Comments:

Blogger Linda Jones Malonson said:

I like Bill too! I daresay this was a very good post and I really enjoyed reading it --- especially your commentary.

I think I fall somewhere in the "quiet personal spirituality tempered by logic" type, leaving room for growth.

Oh it feel so good to get back to reading blogs!
Posted at 9:48 AM  

Blogger United We Lay said:

I love Bill Maher and Jon Stewart. This weeks, Bill was excellent. We should be writing about this stuff more! Now I'm going to have to start writing about it because I've totally been slacking off and we should definitely be giving support to the people who support our views (while not ignoring the views of others).
Posted at 10:28 AM  

Blogger dAAve said:

I'm not a Bill Maher fan. Too far left for me as I attempt to stay somewhat in the middle of things.

All I know is that I cannot stand organized(sic) religion. Whether Christian, Jew, Muslim or what have you, I see very little LOVE AND TOLERANCE in any religion. I do see hate, bigotry, self-centerdness and so forth. Thus, I will have nothing to do with it.
Posted at 10:51 AM  

Blogger Scott W said:

Something has convinced these reiligious zealots of all faiths that someone has backed them into a corner and they are fighting to prove that what they believe is the one and only way. All of which is ridiculous because no human has ever been able to prove that God loves their religion best or even that God does in fact exist. But something has caused a great chasm in the world society, or is it that we are such a small planet today with the advancement of technology prying into our living rooms with broadcasts of violence, hatred and hyped up sensationalism to keep the masses scared that we are paying more attention to the violence and hatred spread by these organized religions? Wars of all sorts have run rampant for eons--today I have instant access to them.

I like Bill Maher and Jon Stewart both. Maher being a bit too confrontational for my tastes, but Stewart continues to present things the way I see them. I am far left politically and I am a firm believer in a God of my understanding. All this religious fuss about who is the most select in God's eyes is just mankind needing some validation or needing to be a bully, both of which are sad.

It does scare the piss out of me that the right wing and evangelical parts of the Christian faith are gaining more and more power which drives them to be more and more power hungry. Seriously, what is the big deal about what you believe to be so important that you must make others bow to you or your God?
Posted at 3:09 PM  

Blogger Watson Woodworth said:

I don't really see Bill Maher as a far lefty at all. He seems, and here I go bombasticly generalizing, like a typical Libertarian.
As a movement Atheist, I ran into lots of them. They were the ones in the room who voted for Bush. They tend to talk left: legal weed, nude ice hockey, but without fail vote right. Because of a seemingly congenital hatred of taxes and the poor.

I think Salman Rushdie has a fantastic mind, and as such is unsafe in America. Pat Robertson would declare a fatwa on him in a second.
Posted at 4:35 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said:

Only in today's America could a guy like Bill Maher be considered far left. It's especially troubling to hear this from someone who is a moderate or a centrist.

Just because you're anti-Bush doesn't mean you're a flaming liberal. Maher is very upset about the Federal Government's trammeling of individual liberties and he detests the role of Christianity in our currently misguided government. The fact that these two opinions now somehow equal being a flaming liberal is indicative of how ridiculously polarized this country has become.

There will certainly be no place in the future America for moderates if they can't even recognize each other.
Posted at 6:17 PM  

Blogger Lila said:

Bill does get people talking, and that's what counts. You're right -- so much of the media is so lame. I consider myself a "person of faith", but I am glad Bill brought all this up. It should be talked about, not taboo. Good for him!
Posted at 7:19 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said:

I love Bill too, but he sometimes goes too far with his comments on religion. During the last election, he actually offended me with a remark and he definitely alienated his panel. I think it is counter productive to insult members of his panel as he sometimes does. Nonetheless, he has some wit! And I love that he always has diverse panels. Guess I'm going to have to het HBO again; haven't had it for awhile.
God (oops) i mean Jeez (oops) I mean boy oh boy did I miss your blog.
Posted at 8:35 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said:

I love Bill too, but he sometimes goes too far with his comments on religion. During the last election, he actually offended me with a remark and he definitely alienated his panel. I think it is counter productive to insult members of his panel as he sometimes does. Nonetheless, he has some wit! And I love that he always has diverse panels. Guess I'm going to have to get HBO again; haven't had it for awhile.
God (oops) i mean Jeez (oops) I mean boy oh boy did I miss your blog.
Posted at 8:36 PM  

Blogger Saur♥Kraut said:

I would agree with your final summation, for the most part. I do disagree with this quote by Bill:

"Bill Maher: I love Jesus, I just don't like the Christians who don't believe in what he says."

Because, you see, if you do as Christ would do, it's a damned sight different than what most supposed Christians are actually doing. For instance, Bush is no more Christian than the Dalai Lama is. Christ preached fairness and tolerance tempered by wisdom and common sense.

Most supposed Christians are narrow minded, but you are getting cause and effect mixed up.

They are professing Christians because they are narrow-minded. They are not narrow-minded because they are true Christians.

Christianity, like so many other faiths, is often used as a way to control others. And this, my friends, is exactly why Bush is a professing Christian.
Posted at 7:15 AM  

Blogger GodlessMom said:

Saur, I guess you and I are reading that particular Bill Maher quote differently. I think the point he was trying to make is exactly the point you are trying to make. The teachings of Jesus are beautiful, the ugliness comes when people profess to be true believers yet seem to completely disregard the true meaning of the Christian philosophy (hence your brilliant label "Professing Christian")

I agree completely, there is a huge disconnect between the teachings of the religion and actions of many who claim to be devout Christians (those in our current administration are prime examples.) Throwing the weight of religion around is a great way to keep the masses in line and the W team has taken it to a whole new level.
Posted at 9:53 AM  

Blogger United We Lay said:

Saur,
You're absolutely right. However, the argument over religions and people of faith is not just about Christians. Bill is against religion in general. The idea is that religion is just a way to cover up that we do not know, cannot know, and cannot comprehend that fact. He believes that religions is, as Marx said, the opium of the people, just something to keep them happy to hide the truth or keep them from searching for the truth.
Posted at 10:21 AM  

Blogger Saur♥Kraut said:

Godless Mom & Polanco, you're right. I just re-read that. Teach me to blog on my first cuppa coffee.

OK, nevermind. We're all on the same page.

...tiptoeing out the door...
Posted at 1:35 PM  

Blogger Zeppellina said:

Hello Godlessmom!
Fascinating post! Really enjoyed reading it. I don`t know the show, but sounds like a good one!
I agree with scott, religions of all types appear to be incredibly defensive right now, as if they feel under threat. And, as a result, the lunatics have taken over the asylum.

Like nigel patel, I too think Salman Rushdie has a fantastic mind.
His comments were the most brief, the most pointed, and the most interesting in the context of the transcript.

The scary thing is that it is no longer enough to be a Christian, a jew, a muslim...because your peers will judge you as being half-hearted, and not Christian/Jewish/Muslim enough.
Extremes are out and about in all religions right now, and there are those who are jumping on the bandwagon for votes.
But, extremes kill too many people.
Posted at 7:54 PM  

Blogger The Lazy Iguana said:

The United States Of Jesusland is alive and well.

But I say that the last true Christian died 2,000 years ago on a cross. Since that day, exactly ZERO have ever walked the planet.
Posted at 9:41 PM  

Blogger Lucy Stern said:

I think the reason Christains are on the defensive right now is because they see the word of God not being allowed anywhere but at home. You can talk about Muslims, Jews and anything except Jesus at school. They are trying to get the 10 Commandments taken out of a box outside the courthouse. They are tired of being told that we have freedom of speech in this country, but they aren't allowed to speak it in public. I can see why they are defensive right now.
Posted at 1:31 AM  

Blogger Michele said:

"If you do as Christ would do, it's a damned sight different than what most supposed Christians are actually doing. For instance, Bush is no more Christian than the Dalai Lama is. Christ preached fairness and tolerance tempered by wisdom and common sense. Most supposed Christians are narrow minded, but you are getting cause and effect mixed up.They are professing Christians because they are narrow-minded. They are not narrow-minded because they are true Christians. Christianity, like so many other faiths, is often used as a way to control others. And this, my friends, is exactly why Bush is a professing Christian." commented by Saurkraut

This is an awesome comment. How true, how true. I love Jesus... In fact, I think he was, in the true sense of the word, a witch and even, by current standards, a pagan. Jesus was a great inspiration and should continue to be. The folks who claim to follow him and don't imitate his works of peace and love and his spirit of tolerance should not only be ashamed of themselves, but also realize that they do him a great disservice.
Posted at 5:33 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof"

It's always bugged me that this can be hid behind. It doesn't mention state legislatures or the President or the Supremem Court. It should say "governement," not Congress.
Posted at 7:32 AM  

Add a comment