Godless Mom in the Bible Belt

Thursday, November 10, 2005

Look! A room full of atheists!

Houston has a rather interesting atheist/humanist/freethought community.

There are the Asimov Humanists, The Houston Atheist Society, The Humanists of Houston, the Houston Church of Freethought and many others.

Each group has it's own focus, some are merely social groups while others are very active in political and charitable causes. Basically, there is something for everyone!

Each year the groups all get together for a Solstice party at the Museum of Natural Science. Scott and I attended last year and really had a great time. You will never meet a nicer, more eclectic and diverse group of people!

My only issue with the group is the fact that most of them are a generation or two older than Scott and me, I was hoping there would be more young people. I would like very much to introduce Liz to other children from non-religious families. I'd like her to know that we aren't the only non-believers in the world. I want her to have friends from all over the theological spectrum and while we have many friends from many different religions I haven't found any other young atheistic families here in Houston whom I can befriend.

So, we are going to the party again this year. With any luck we will meet some kids! The party is open to all freethought people in the Houston area, so if you are interested in attending let me know and I'll give you the details! It is a potluck affair and last year the food was incredible!
posted by GodlessMom, 9:11 AM

10 Comments:

Blogger Kyahgirl said:

I can relate to your problem. I have two little kids, who see their Grandma going to church and wonder why we don't. I've talked about religion and non-religion and try to openly encourage them to read widely (when they're able) and make their own choices. For now, I can't bring myself to tell them religious fairy tales because I don't believe them myself. However, I do believe in being an ethical, contributing member of society and all that. I'd like to meet other families like ours so our kids aren't always wondering why they are different. Thankfully, my Mom doesn't try to interfere but on her last visit here she did drop a few comments about her disappointment that the children weren't baptised, etc. *sigh*
Posted at 10:32 AM  

Blogger dAAve said:

On a sidenote, there are many atheists in AA. That's interesitng (to me) because it's a spiritual program. NOT religous, but spiritual. I came in an agnostic and had a huge problem with the word "God" until I found the way around that name.

Have a great time.
Posted at 1:57 PM  

Blogger Econo-Girl said:

tell your friend to sell his house for $600,000.
Posted at 2:37 PM  

Blogger Econo-Girl said:

When I was a girl, I said to my Dad that I wanted to be a Jew. I didn't believe that Christ was the son of God. Dad told me I didn't want to do that because then I would have to go to church on Saturdays. I thought about it and said, well, this is God, so I'll do it. Then Dad told me I would have to go to church, too. Then I said no.

So fast forward 35 years, and guess what? I learn at my Grandmother's funeral that I'm Jewish! Isn't that funny?
Posted at 2:40 PM  

Blogger Watson Woodworth said:

I was active in Michigan Athiests, a small group of west siders (metroDetroit)part of American Atheists.
I think it's kind of strange that most movement Atheists are well over fifty.
Also, it's a terrible place to look for women. There are forty Atheist women nation wide. Since you're married, I'll just whittle that figure down to thirty nine.
Posted at 5:12 PM  

Blogger GodlessMom said:

Econo-girl, That really is a funny story! Sometimes the strangest things come to light! I think you're right, my friend really should take the money and run!

NP, Only 40? And all this time I thought there were 42!
Posted at 8:28 PM  

Blogger Lila said:

I hope you atheists know how to party!
Posted at 9:29 PM  

Blogger The Lazy Iguana said:

As far as I am aware, no such groups are in Miami.

I keep waffling from athiest to agnostic. I am a flip-flopper. At any rate, I know I am not into ancient mythology.

But there is one thing I have noticed about other people with kids. Parents who do not go to church often or at all tend to not talk about religous matters one way or another. In other words, they do not badmouth religion to their kids.

But - on the other hand - the more born again the parents the MORE they badmouth any other view to their kids. Everyone is wrong, except other born agains.
Posted at 9:44 PM  

Blogger TLP said:

As you know, I'm a Unitarian atheist. Many people who don't believe in a traditional god start coming to our church only when they decide to have kids.

It's as if they are content to be non-churched themselves, but feel they must expose their children to some form of religion.

Of course, Unitarians are all over the board. Some believe in some sort of god and some don't.

I don't know your definition of "religious" but my definition doesn't include a belief in god. There is religion in the natural world without any Super-natural ideas.
Posted at 9:03 AM  

Blogger dddragon said:

I count myself as atheist, and I attend a Unitarian Universalist church. A friend of mine belongs to the Pennsylvania Non-believers group. He sends his daughters every summer to a camp for atheist kids named Camp Quest, in Kentucky.
Posted at 10:31 AM  

Add a comment