Godless Mom in the Bible Belt

Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Fiddles and Pipes

I spent an hour last night watching a program on PBS called Celtic Women. It was a wonderful concert at the Helix Center in Dublin, Ireland. Four vocal soloists and a violinist performing a variety of traditional, contemporary and religious music. It is impossible to describe the beauty of the sounds I heard as I sat in front of my television. As corny as it seems, I can only say I felt the music on an emotional level.

A few years ago I traveled to Scotland with my sister. It was a fabulous adventure in a beautiful country. We toured the big cities and slept in the small towns, we dove into local cuisine, shopped ourselves silly in the tourist gift shops and toured old castles and a whiskey distillery or two. After a few days we left the mainland and went north to spend the better part of a week with a friend who lives in the city of Lerwick in the Shetland Islands. Each evening we would go to a local tavern and listen to a wonderful group of young men on their violins. They are a group called Fiddler's Bid and they enjoy quite a bit of celebrity among the enthusiasts of traditional Shetland music. Again, it is impossible to describe the sheer pleasure derived from listening to this music. Once again, I felt it on an emotional level.

I love bagpipe music. A well played set of pipes can elicit such raw emotion from me that I've been known to sit and blubber like a fool. I sat for at least an hour on an isolated bench in Inverness listening to a young man wring melodies out of his pipes that would put the greatest musicians in the world to shame. Again, I felt it on an emotional level.

I've no idea why the traditional music and instruments of the British Isles effect me so deeply. I suppose it doesn't really matter, some reactions are so visceral that they defy explanation.

What about you guys? Does music speak to your emotions too? Is there a particular type of music that moves you more than others?
posted by GodlessMom, 6:06 AM

11 Comments:

Blogger Urban Chick said:

i am a scot and nothing tugs at my heart strings more than the sound of the lone piper piping on the ramparts of edinburgh castle at the end of a military tattoo...
Posted at 7:12 AM  

Blogger Urban Chick said:

tell me if you like this: http://www.footstompin.com/music/bagpipe_music/highland_cathedral

it's called 'highland cathedral' and this is a quick blast (bagpipes) - it was played at my sister's wedding

ah...
Posted at 7:16 AM  

Blogger GodlessMom said:

Urban Chick! That is awesome! Thanks for the link! I'm 3/4 Scot and 1/4 Danish, so perhaps there is something in my DNA that resonates with this type of music. Who knows?

I wanted to have bagpipe music at my wedding, unfortunately there aren't a whole lot of pipers in Utah. Sigh. I bet your sister's wedding was beautiful.
Posted at 8:17 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said:

I am partial to Fiddlers too, but my favorite is the sound of my father playing certain pieces on the piano. Nothing can soothe my soul more than that.
Posted at 9:40 AM  

Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said:

Sounds interesting. Check out Zeppellina's blog. (she has posted on my blog.) She is from Scotland and a wonderful artist as well, and is connected to a glassworks business too.

Sounds like a great concert.
Posted at 9:50 AM  

Blogger The Lazy Iguana said:

I want to get a set of bagpipes. When the neighbors piss me off, I can dress up like a highlander, listen to Pink Floyd "Piper At The Gates Of Dawn", and then when the sun starts to rise I could go in my front yard and let er rip.

When the cops show up I could simply claim that it is Clan McGregor Day in Scotland, and this is how you celebrate it. The cops will more than likely be from Cuba, so they will not know I am making the whole thing up :)
Posted at 10:48 AM  

Blogger GodlessMom said:

You know Berkshires? Your mom may be the root of my love for fiddles! You are very fortunate to have been brought up around such wonderful music and I was lucky to have experienced it as your friend!
Posted at 3:26 PM  

Blogger dAAve said:

Small world.
I have spent many nights in Lerwick during my 2 decades in the oil business. Don't remember running into the local bands though. But there's probably a lot i don't remember. LOL

If you ever get the chance for timein Dublin, THAT's where the incredible pub music is.
Posted at 8:09 PM  

Blogger Lila said:

Yes, I love music very much. I have been moved by rock, folk, jazz, classical, opera, musicals... just about everything except country.
Posted at 9:26 PM  

Blogger Fred said:

Living in the U.K., I had plenty of reasons to visit Scotland.

First, I couldn’t understand a damned thing they said. Second, they drink more than the Lazy Iguana, times 10.

The real treat was when I had to attend a wedding for a wonderful woman who worked for me. I had to wear the kilt and all, sans undergarments.

Liberating, but scary. Every time I sat down, I was suddenly thinking the entire room could see what were normally private parts.

I was hoping for more attention.
Posted at 11:48 PM  

Blogger The Lazy Iguana said:

I drink because my roots are in Ireland and Scotland!

It is in my DNA.
Posted at 7:48 PM  

Add a comment