Godless Mom in the Bible Belt

Monday, June 27, 2005

H2? F U!!

Warning: Rant ahead...Proceed at own risk.

It seems to me that years from now historians will look back on the Iraq war and freely discuss the fact that oil had a lot to do with the Bush administration's decision to remove Saddam Hussein from power. You can talk about WMDs and ties to terrorism all you want, you can paint the war in the noble colors of freedom and democracy but the fact is the people who make up the Bush administration have had their eye on the prize beneath the Iraqi soil for a long time. Now I'm not so cynical that I believe oil was their only motivation, but I honestly feel that we are pulling the wool over our eyes if we refuse to acknowledge the role black gold has played in the current situation.

Now, I hate those stupid "Support Our Troops" car magnets that people put on the ass end of their vehicles and I become particularly annoyed when I see such ribbons on gas-guzzling SUVs. (If we really wanted to support our troops, we would do everything in our power to dramatically reduce our reliance on foreign oil thereby eliminating the need to attack other countries in order to gain control of the stuff.) So, you can imagine the indignant tirade I went into when this vehicle pulled out in front of me on my way home from the grocery store this weekend.






But that's not the worst of it...This is what the vehicle looked like from the side.





It's a freaking stretch Hummer! I have only one thing to say to anyone who could be so glib as to put a "Support Our Troops" magnet on such a vehicle. YOU SIR, ARE A MONUMENTAL ASS!!
posted by GodlessMom, 6:08 AM

16 Comments:

Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said:

You have a great sense of humor! I was getting prepared to get my blood pressure up about the war, the stickers, W, etc., and alas, something funny to laugh at!

Thank you for for getting my day off to a great start!
Posted at 8:21 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said:

Oh you go girl! That is insane!
Posted at 10:15 AM  

Blogger The Lazy Iguana said:

People that drive Hummers are assholes. If you live somewhere with paved roads you DO NOT NEED ONE.

So please Hummer drivers of the world, stop being assholes. Recycle your big hunk of crap and get something reasonable. Unless of course, you live in the wilds of Alaska, where the nearest paved road is 50 miles away.

My truck, with only a V-6 engine, pulls the boat just fine. You do not need a 6,000 pound vehicle with a large engine to pull that jet ski.
Posted at 10:28 AM  

Blogger dAAve said:

LOL

I like a different type of hummer.
Posted at 10:29 AM  

Blogger United We Lay said:

I completely agree!
Posted at 11:04 AM  

Blogger Watson Woodworth said:

I had made some of the interior to the H2 for work for the last few years. Only in America can our cars also have an obesity problem.
We also did the nice little Cavalier/Sunfire, so we weren't total whores.
Posted at 11:27 AM  

Blogger Urban Chick said:

my G-d, your point about driving SUVs is spot on!! for a while, DH and i have been scratching our heads wondering what we could do to kick off a 'stop buying SUVs!' campaign your side of the pond, so if we can be of any assistance, do let me know!

our next car is going to be a hybrid (very excited!)
Posted at 1:27 PM  

Blogger A Little Bar of Soap said:

This looks like a blessed vehicle of the LORD to me! Oil is the REAL "Jesus Juice", not Michael Jackson's wine. GOD BLESS THE USA! Devil, get thee OUT!
Posted at 2:14 PM  

Blogger dddragon said:

You know how people will tow a small car behind an RV? Makes sense - park the RV at the park and tootle 'round town in the little car.

However, once we saw a Hummer (a real one, not a Hummer 2) being towed behind a custom-luxery remodeled RV-Bus. One of those million dollar ones you see on HGTV. It was trying to get on a ferry.

A regular bus gets 6 to 8 miles to the gallon. Cannot imagine what a load RV/Bus towing a full-sized Hummer would get - 3 miles per gallon?
Posted at 6:47 PM  

Blogger Meegan said:

Ha ha!!! I couldn't agree more. I always wonder what these Hummer drivers are trying to compensate for...
Posted at 7:01 PM  

Blogger thc said:

I'm also growing pretty tired of the ugly ribbons on cars, but I don't understand the vitriol over SUVs. If you don't like them, don't buy one.
Posted at 9:29 PM  

Blogger Lila said:

That is just too gross for words. Really. Makes me a little sick to look at it.

I'm gone from Texas now, godless.

*waves goodbye*
Posted at 9:32 PM  

Blogger GodlessMom said:

Goodbye Aral PPP! The Bible Belt will miss you!
Posted at 5:54 AM  

Blogger Scott W said:

LOL!!!!! Great post! Here is a link you asked me about:

http://www.columbia.edu/cu/lweb/eresources/exhibitions/sw25/
Posted at 8:24 AM  

Blogger S said:

oh my gosh! This is MY Rant. I can't stand Hummers. It cracks me up to see these 17 and 18 year olds around here drinving these on some of the old coblestone streets in a local town. HA! It's totally absurd. I agree with everything you said! Hysterical post!
Posted at 3:20 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said:

How about the root of the problem? Hummers are idiotic, but the fact that we need to drive ANYTHING in our daily life is idiotic. Let's talk about the fucking Federal highyway and mortgage policies, let alone the state and local land use policies that encourage/mandate auto-dependant separated-use sprawl. Europe and our walking/transit cities are gonna be a hell of a lot better off when gas is $10/gallon (it will be, soon) than our bloated, obese suburbs. We shouldn't have to own even a Prius.
Posted at 2:25 AM  

Add a comment