Godless Mom in the Bible Belt

Thursday, July 07, 2005

City girls just seem to find out early, how to open doors with just a smile.

I think I was about seven years old when I started to put the power of femininity into play. In my second grade class there was a young man named Mark, everyone called him Doggie. Doggie sat in the desk behind me near the window in the back of our classroom. Because of the proximity of our desks, Doggie and I were frequently paired during class activities and we soon became fast friends. There was a difference in this friendship though, it was the first time I had ever had a friend with whom I wanted to spend time alone and it wasn't long before I realized that Doggie felt the same way. If I walked off alone during recess Doggie would soon follow, if I got up during class to sharpen my pencil Doggie would meet me at the back of the class and would sharpen the pencil for me. There was a headiness in the knowledge that without directly asking I could get him to do my bidding. There was no malice in the thought and no disrespect for Doggie, it was simply the discovery and acknowledgement of a previously unknown power.

Over the years I, like millions of other women before me, honed the skill and perfected it's use. A lingering gaze, a shy smile, the exaggerated sway of hips...Through trial and error I learned how to use my sexuality to my benefit.

Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not some femme fatale and I'm not what Hall and Oates would call a "Man eater." I'm just your average female who learned that in certain situations feminine wiles can come in handy. I think it is a perfectly natural and normal part of being female. In a world dominated by men, women have had to learn to press what advantages we do possess. Occasionally, when brawn is lacking and brains don't do the trick we can still manage to get our way through implied promise of things to come.

While I do feel this is a normal part of being female it is so sad and disastrous when the use of feminine wiles becomes an individual's modus operandi. There is nothing more pitiful than a woman who's entire idea of self worth is tied up in how well she can manipulate men. There is nothing more sad than a woman who's need for endless admiration prompts her to string men along, causing confusion and heartbreak.

There is one such woman who runs in my neighborhood social circles, she has gone through a string of men over the last four years with seemingly no regard to her two children. I often watch her in social situations and I can't help but wonder what went wrong. At what point did she start equating her own value with the attention she gets from men? At what point did men become so dehumanized in her mind that they ceased to be people with feelings and became a tool to use for her own advancement?

I wouldn't trade being female for anything. I love the softness and curves, the pretty scents and silky fabrics. I love the way my mind works when it is at it's most female. But human sexuality is a double edged sword and when it goes wrong, it goes wrong in a big way and usually ends up cutting the one who pretends to wield it.
posted by GodlessMom, 5:01 AM

9 Comments:

Blogger TLP said:

Oh, it's sweet to remember how I could make a guy think of nothing but me! *sigh*

But the woman you speak of is a lost soul, probably looking for love (in all the wrong places of course). Too bad. She needs new conquests to feel good about herself. Most of us outgrow that.
Posted at 8:49 AM  

Blogger Fred said:

Sounds like you're describing a situation from Desperate Housewives!
Posted at 10:11 AM  

Blogger The Lazy Iguana said:

I fall for that sly smile scam all the time.

I know it is a scam, but does that do any good? Nope! I fall for it anyway.
Posted at 10:52 AM  

Blogger Watson Woodworth said:

With few-to-no male role models I have often occupied a gender-neutral space and have often seen my male role with the objects of my desire in terms of "How'm I giong to do this."
I haven't seen many women with that level of doubt.
Posted at 11:08 AM  

Blogger Meegan said:

Excellent post. And so true.
Posted at 1:40 PM  

Blogger Zeppellina said:

Thank you for your kind words and solidarity today, godlessmom, it was very much appreciated.
Everyone here are shocked by the days events.
I have watched the news reports all day. It is just too horrible.
It is, however, a miracle that more people were not caught up in the blasts..it was rush hour, people travelling to work.
Poor souls.
Killing innocents like this is a crime against humanity.
Thank you for your kind words.
Posted at 1:44 PM  

Blogger S said:

This post is so true. I hope I can teach my daughter how to use her power well. (I love how well you write by the way!)
Posted at 3:37 PM  

Blogger GodlessMom said:

Totally Crunchy, Thank you. What a nice thing to say. I think you just made my week!

Some days the words flow more easily than others.

I too hope that my daughter will learn to rejoice in her femininity but learn that it isn't something to be wielded unwisely.
Posted at 10:45 PM  

Blogger Sapphire Eagle © said:

What a fantastic article, I am going to favourite page your site! Seriously I have a couple of friends exactly like this, they have no mystery whatsoever, every male friend has seen them nude, and if they could they would let my friends also see them that way obviously it is a rivalry thing as well as a poor self-image. What a fantastic writer you are!
Posted at 7:51 AM  

Add a comment