Godless Mom in the Bible Belt

Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Things that go bump in the night.

I've been wondering something lately and since the regular readers of my brain spew are a very diverse group I'm hoping maybe I'll get some fun feedback on this one. By way of explanation though, I'm going to have to give you some background so you'll understand how I've arrived at this particular musing.

I have an extremely vivid imagination, and I don't mean in a good way. As a child I was frequently paralyzed by fear. The fears weren't logical. They were irrational, bone-deep fears of slimy things under the stairs and preternaturally strong decomposing aliens under the bed. I was terrified of opening closet doors for fear of disturbing the inhabitants within, I would never look at my reflection in the mirror in a darkened room for fear the image in the glass would come alive and crawl into my side of reality. The basement in our house was an extreme source of terror and the cellar under the front porch was even creepier than that.

These fears didn't abate when I was 10 or even 12. I avoided the basement and closets until I was at least 15 years old. At that point my mind had seriously started to reject all things illogical and unprovable and I became disgusted with the irrational fears that would take hold of me when I was alone in the dark. The fear was still very real but I had begun to look at it as a character flaw that I could correct rather than something I was destined to live with.

I had taken Psych 101 at a local college as part of the AP studies at my school and I had learned about desensitization techniques and how they are used to treat phobias. I decided that the best way to conquer my fear of monsters (for lack of a better term) was to face that fear head on and expose myself repeatedly to the things which frightened me most.

I read everything Stephen King had written and rented every scary video at Blockbuster. I moved my bedroom from the safety of the hallway upstairs into a corner room in the basement, next to the door into the sub-porch cellar. I would force myself to not only stare at my reflection in the mirror but reach out and touch that reflection and make faces at myself. I made a point of entering each and every closet in the house multiple times daily and would force myself to stand next to the bed after dark, despite that fact that my mind was certain there were oogy things living under there.

You know what? It worked. Within a few months I could comfortably call the basement my home. The mirror didn't bother me and closets were merely a place to keep clean clothes. I could stay up until midnight reading the latest Dean Koontz and I no longer had nightmares about Linda Blair in Exorcist.

Now, as an adult, I am no longer crippled by unreasonable fears. They are still there though, alive and kicking in the back of my brain. When I reach into a dark room to turn on the light, when I open the door to the attic or get up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night I can feel those fears tickling my brain and playing with my adrenalin levels.

Now I hate irrational fears and illogical behavior, especially in myself. The fact that I have to consciously rein in these fears pisses me off in a very big way. But my anger does nothing to eliminate the fears. I have learned to deal with them, I no longer let them dictate my behavior but I detest the fact that they are there at all.

Now, my little Liz has virtually no irrational fears. Her imagination is easily as vivid as mine, but the creatures that inhabit her mind are friendly and benign. She has invented a creature to inhabit virtually every nook and cranny of our home, when you ask her about them she will go into long detail about what kind of food they like and which book is their favorite. Her monsters aren't evil and malevelant, her monsters are her imaginary buddies and she freely acknowledges the fact that they don't really exist.

So this is where my musings have lead me, and I know my sample size is way too small and this is a tremendous leap in logic so please don't chastize me about it...I'm just wondering here. Could there possibly be a connection between irrational fears and teaching a child to believe in a God? Do we unwittingly encourage fear in things that go bump in the night when we encourage belief in an all powerful diety that cannot be seen. When we teach our children that there is an unseen spirit who has control over our lives and who sits in judgement of our actions is it such a leap to think that these same children may take the "unseen spirit" thing and run with it?

Do my irrational fears have their root in the fact that my parents convinced me at a very young age that I was being watched and judged by something beyond rational explanation?
posted by GodlessMom, 6:14 AM

13 Comments:

Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said:

Interesting post as usual.

My fears as a child were fairly large, due to the fact that my parents were extremely fearful people, always exagerrating, telling me to worry about everything, and that bad was likely to happen in any situation. They were not religious people at all, and I cannot remember them talking about God.

Now, as I am older, and have a stronger belief in God, I have noticed that many of my fears have abated or decreased, when I truly trust in God. It is mainly when I am left in my own head and thinking and ego that the fear becomes larger than life. The holy trilogy, me, myself and I causes rather than solves most of my fears.
Posted at 7:59 AM  

Blogger Gina said:

i have three children who all believed in GOD big time before i entered their life. Heck they were more religious than i was!! But their fears of monsters, snakes, etc are still very much in their 6,5 & 3 yr old lives.
Posted at 8:01 AM  

Blogger Watson Woodworth said:

God-belief is all about assumptions of an unknown. Assumptions of a goody creator and judge of everything and his creation, the eeeevil god of the underworld.
That feeling that you are never alone can be scarry.

On the other hand, as I child Atheist, I felt constantly alone. My own nightmare.
I'm still an Atheist but I now understand that I don't have to be alone when I'm with people as long as I get out of my head and into the world.
Posted at 8:19 AM  

Blogger Meegan said:

VERY interesting question, but as you said, your sample size is too small for it to really mean anything. I grew up in a home without a belief in God and I was like you were, as far as the feeling that there were monsters under my bed, etc. (Actually in my case, for some reason, I thought wolves were going to come get me.) I would NEVER go to the basement without my mom or dad, sometimes I wouldn't go upstairs without one of them. When I was a teenager and babysat for a family down the street I was amazed when their little girl would go to the dark basement by herself and not seem to worry at all. I think it's a personal thing.
Posted at 9:08 AM  

Blogger Valerie said:

I think that these responses show that there is a range of experience in this area.

However, I do believe a lot of religions are based on fear. Fear of the fire and brimstone, an eternity in hell, the hand of god reaching down and punishing you for being bad, and so on.
Posted at 9:45 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said:

I have heard it theorized that religion was created to control the masses. With a little fear of God, the people might be less likely to cause trouble or rise up against the establishment (God Forbid).
Do you remember reading Barbara Tuchman's "A Distant Mirror"? Talk about fear instilled by religious leaders during the dark ages. I definitely think there is a link between fear and religion.
Posted at 10:10 AM  

Blogger Fred said:

Personally, I wouldn't leap to that conclusion. We exposed our children to religion, but didn't emphasize it. Our belief was to allow them to adopt the level of involvement they found to their liking later on in their lives.

Yet, my kids had what I believe were normal fears: of the dark; the cold, damp, dark basement, etc.

It may be heightened by an emphasis on religious teachings, but I don't believe it originates there.
Posted at 10:12 AM  

Blogger GodlessMom said:

You're right Jevanking, I can't shield Liz from religion and I really have no desire to do so. To shield her from religion would be like trying to shield her from television, it can't and shouldn't be done because it is a heavy part of life on this planet.

Her spiritual journey will be her own, I'm not trying to raise a carbon copy of myself and I will have no problem with her developing a healthy spiritual belief if that is the path she should choose. I will help her along the path of her spiritual discovery but I won't indoctrinate her to any specific belief system, including my own.
Posted at 10:59 AM  

Blogger TLP said:

Good question. I was raised Christian, and I was afraid of the dark and monsters, etc. I don't think there was a connection though. In fact, back in the days when I was still a believer, I thought that God would "protect" me from the dark, etc.
But it could be that all that talk about "the afterlife" creates ghosts in some little kids minds.
Posted at 7:39 PM  

Blogger dAAve said:

No one has mentioned Santa Claus.
Posted at 8:05 PM  

Blogger Lila said:

Like my sister actonbell, I wasn't raised to believe in God or Santa Claus... I'm not sure there's a connection. It's an interesting thought, though. As a kid, I had the usual imaginings: a monster under my bed or in my closet, etc. But I don't seem to have any of those fears as an adult. In fact, I might even be overly fearless!
Posted at 8:24 PM  

Blogger Urban Chick said:

not sure about the link, but the idea of judgement day used to scare the hell out of me (maybe that was the point!), at which point i stopped going to sunday school (believe it or not, my sisters and i ASKED to go - my mom and dad were not church-goers)

been a non-believer ever since...!
Posted at 6:22 AM  

Blogger Dr Will said:

arent you lucky you have psych grad student as a new reader. thats an interesting question, but i would suspect no. how many kid believe in god and then how many of tose have those hardcore fears? a VERY small percetage i would presume. however, i commend you on your ability to do some makeshift desensitization yourself! the only thing i've notcied about people who grow up religious, and this is also planted within the fabric of our society, is they believe the 'just world hypothesis' that if i am a good person, good things will happen to me, and bad people are punished. all thats complete crap.
Posted at 10:03 AM  

Add a comment