Godless Mom in the Bible Belt

Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Warning, my child will teach your child things you might not want them to know.

I grew up in a household where there was little or no discussion about human sexuality. My parents are wonderful people but they are the product of their generation and people who were born in the 1920s don't generally talk much about sex.

The sum-total of the sex education I received from my parents came when I was 7 years old. Mom and I were on a cross-country trip stopping in various states to "collect" the capitol buildings when I saw a two cows in a field getting friendly with each other. I asked my mom what they were doing. She told me they were making baby cows, then she said under her breath "Humans do the same thing."

For many years afterward I had strange images in my head of men and women standing in pastures doing something that resembled a piggy back ride. I knew from my mom's reaction to the whole subject that "private parts" were probably involved but for the life of me I couldn't make head nor tales of the whole thing.

Needless to say I eventually figured it out. A combination of street education and research in the biology section of the library put me straight by the time I was 11 but I was 16 before my parents and I ever talked about the subject again (and by that time it was too late for them to really make much of an impression.)

I swore when I had Liz that sex would be as comfortable a subject to talk about in our household as the subject of grocery shopping. I have been absolutely up front with her about every aspect of the subject. We have taken apart tampons and talked about how they work. We have talked about eggs and sperm and the parts of our bodies involved in reproduction. We have looked at charts of body parts and discussed the reproductive differences between mammals, fish, birds, reptiles and amphibians. I don't feel that any sex education is complete without discussion of the social and emotional impact of sexual activity and I've started discussing these topics with her also (although there is a limit to what a 4 year old can understand in this area.)

Liz responds with the typical curiosity of a child. I have already answered questions regarding masturbation, homosexuality, birth control and whether or not it "feels good." She is particularly interested in different methods of reproduction, live birth vs. egg laying, internal vs. external fertilization. The subject is very interesting to her.

Now there are consequences to this much open honesty. She has loudly asked questions on the subject in the middle of the mall and in quiet restaurants. She also has a tendency to discuss the subject among her peers with the same ease that she discusses Cinderella's dress color. I have warned all of my friends that she is likely to tell their kids things that they might otherwise be innocent of. But I'm willing to deal with these slight embarrassment and the potential wrath of other parents because I don't feel that this is a subject that should be hidden from a child. I'm hoping that these other parents at least take comfort in the fact that the information their children get from my Liz will at least be accurate.

Eventually the day will come when Liz will have to make personal decisions regarding her own sexuality. I'm hoping that when that time comes she will have the knowledge and self confidence to make wise, informed choices. With any luck she will also feel comfortable talking to her parents about the issue, if we don't make a big deal out of it now, perhaps it won't be a big deal later.
posted by GodlessMom, 5:54 AM

11 Comments:

Blogger Meegan said:

BRAVO!!!!!!! Excellent post! You had me roaring with the cow image, but I so admire you for your open talks with Liz. This is sooooo important. I have been doing work with psychology textbooks lately, and they all say that when parents begin to wonder if it's time to have "the talk," then it's already too late. It should just be something that is talked about from the very beginning. It's a parent's responsibility. You are the best mom!!!
Posted at 9:01 AM  

Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said:

You are a wonderful mother, and I am sure your Liz will echo the good values you have instilled within her as a role model. Brava.
Posted at 11:33 AM  

Blogger Watson Woodworth said:

I had some similar teaching. I was particularly bothered by the egg laying of snakes. Vomitting up their eggs.
Learning about impotence at 10 was surreal.
Posted at 11:38 AM  

Blogger TIm said:

Gosh, I wish my mom was as open about sex as you are, haha, might have made the tween years a little easier.
Posted at 12:20 PM  

Blogger Liz said:

my mother never even got there, so bravo to you! damn catholic upbringing taught me the only valid birth control was keeping your legs shut. they actually said "keep you legs shut" and "make sure your knees are always touching each other." i was 14, they could have expanded a bit. and they called that sex ed.
Posted at 1:30 PM  

Blogger Lila said:

Interesting! Yeah, I'm sure it will turn out well.

I ended up breaking the news to all of my friends that there was no Santa Claus, since my parents never played that game. I think I told a couple of them where babies came from, too... but no one believed THAT crazy story!
Posted at 5:04 PM  

Blogger dAAve said:

I'm still trying to figure all that stuff out. May I drop by for a short visit and lesson?
Posted at 8:21 PM  

Blogger GodlessMom said:

That's right HP, you didn't even know that birth control patches go on the ass! You do need help! :)
Posted at 8:56 PM  

Blogger Fred said:

This is a great post. Like you, my parents were born in the 20's and it was simply a taboo subject. We had to figure out. Thankfully, my two older sisters helped me comprehend what was going on.

I have three daughters. So, for me, there's very little discussion on the subject. It's not that I don't want to, but when their bodies have started to mature, the first person they go to is mom, not dad. I'm not to sure if I should be doing anything more, but the "sisterhood" seems to working OK. (Advice anyone?)

A fall back position? Have them watch Real World on MTV for a few weeks; they'll get it very quickly. But wait; maybe that's how I can help. I do watch the programs with the kids, and although there is quite a bit of adult content, we’ll discuss it if something comes up.

The only discomfort I ever had was before my youngest was eleven, and we were watching the Super Bowl. What comes up? A commercial for an erectile dysfunction product. (Was that a funny??)

Sorry for the ramblings.
Posted at 9:06 PM  

Blogger United We Lay said:

GOOD FOR YOU!
Posted at 9:42 PM  

Blogger A Little Bar of Soap said:

FILTH!
Posted at 7:49 AM  

Add a comment