Godless Mom in the Bible Belt

Saturday, October 29, 2005

From Abu Ghraib with love.

My brilliant hubby managed to switch out my defective keyboard with one he scavenged from an old laptop and now I am back in business!

I'm sure everyone is sick and tired of talking/reading about the Libby indictment and the Fitzgerald investigation so I'm going to completely leave that one alone for now. There is something weighing very heavy on my heart and I'm in the mood for a bit of a rant.

I was raised to believe that the United States of America is a pretty cool place. As I've grown older I've seen and understood the flaws in our system and I've tried to do my part as a citizen to remedy those flaws. I hold no illusions that the USA is the best country in the world, there are several areas where we fall short and need to strive harder. However, I love my country and I'm happy to be a part of this great social experiment. While I love the rest of our planet and I want to experience and enjoy every inch of it, I don't want to live anywhere else.

Call me a Pollyanna, but there are some myths from my early childhood propaganda experiences that I truly want to believe. I want to believe that while individual human beings might have failings, as a whole we are a noble species. I want to believe that our country is set up in a manner designed to make the most of that nobility while striving to suppress those tendencies which draw us in the other direction.

Like most everyone in the world I was mortified when I first learned that American troops were torturing prisoners at Abu Ghraib. I was shamed at the thought of the name of the United States being associated with such a thing, I was heartbroken at the thought of our troops (these men and women who are our friends and family) being reduced to such an animalistic level that they would conduct themselves in such a manner. I was terrified of the repercussions which would inevitably be felt by our country, our troops and our citizens as the wrath of our victims manifested itself in revenge.

As I looked into the issue more thoroughly and discovered that Abu Ghraib was merely the tip of the iceberg, my disgust and shame only grew. Here we were on this supposed noble mission of bringing democracy to Iraq yet we were treating our prisoners and "enemy combatants" in a manner so far removed from that nobility of purpose that the entire notion of our actions being justified was rendered not only laughable but pitiable. This was not the United States of America I had been raised to believe in, my country couldn't possibly be guilty of such things.

Then came the investigations and trials. We were handed a scant handful of people and blame was laid entirely at their feet. Janis Karpinski, Lyndie Englund...They were set forth as the those who were to blame. Yet after both women were removed from the situation the abuse continued, reports surfaced from Guantanamo Bay, Afghanistan and other prisons in Iraq. Citizens of the UK and Canada came forward to tell their stories of mistreatment at the hands of American soldiers. It became plain that Alberto Gonzales and Donald Rumsfeld were not only aware of the torture but were instrumental in making it happen. And still Bush claimed that it was the work of "A few bad apples."

Well, John McCain has attempted to put forth a bill that would make it illegal for anyone acting on the behalf of the United States to mistreat prisoners or detainees in any matter. Basically it makes the Geneva Convention rules into national law. The bill passed with a huge majority of 91 votes. Yet Bush, who has never vetoed a bill in his entire term as president has threatened to veto this one. Dick Cheney went to McCain and said that Bush would sign the bill if an exception were made for the CIA. Basically, the Bush administration (who still insists that we don't torture people) is looking to make a nice little loophole for itself.

Now, the Bush administration is attempting to claim that while it is illegal for us to torture anyone on our own soil, it is okay for us to do so when in other countries (Guantanamo Bay is a prime example.) And still the buck has traveled no higher than Karpinski.

I have written emails and letters and dialed the phone until my fingers are ready to fall off. I'm quite certain that all my elected officials think that this and election reform are the only things I think about. But you know what? These guys have dragged my country through the mud and they continue to do so with every prisoner they mistreat and each time they deny due process to the "enemy combatants." I understand that, for better or worse, we are at war. I know that many of our prisoners would as soon kill us as breath but I refuse to believe that we can accomplish any noble goal while our actions have been reduced to this level.

I think this administration is guilty of crimes against humanity. I am constantly floored by the fact that they still try to claim the moral high ground. I can only hope that the nobility which I know exists in the heart of my country will eventually see justice served.
posted by GodlessMom, 8:14 PM

15 Comments:

Blogger Saur♥Kraut said:

Instead of passing another law, why not simply agree to the most current terms of the Geneva Convention, which every other civilized country has agreed to? That would take care of everything.

Yes, Abu Ghraib showed 'torture', I won't deny that. But it's of a lesser degree than what the terrorists use. In fact, it's SO lesser that I wish we would find different words for different types. Anyone would gladly undergo Abu Ghraib torture over true terrorist style torture. The differences are obvious. I say this because I believe in complete truthfulness and yet I am not sanctioning what was done in Abu Ghraib. Why? Because wrong-doing is still wrong-doing. Just as a white lie is still lying - just to a lesser degree than an all-out-honey-I-didn't-sleep-with-her-lie.

We have an obligation to be above it all, if we truly are people who come from a more civilized country. I think that overall we ARE more civilized. However, I suppose that this is a classic illustration of how easy it is to fall into something evil and yet be able to justify it to yourself.

Abu Ghraib shows us that there is a dark side in Americans that we don't wish to see. Many of us would NEVER do something like what they did. But it's hard to believe that the people we know, or the people who live in the same towns that we do, and have been raised in the same America, are capable of such barbaric behaviors...
Posted at 5:21 AM  

Blogger Linda Jones Malonson said:

This is a good rant, and you spoke for me too! There is nothing more to add to this Godless Mom, you have stateed your case and sent your point like an arrow into my mind. I agree with you wholeheartly ... but knowing this, and believe as we do, still don't bring me peace of mind.

But one can hope, right?
Posted at 5:24 AM  

Blogger Fred said:

For the life of me, I can't understand why Bush is puttimg up so much resistance to this issue.

It's playing out even worse overseas, where the international media is universally condemning him (and thereby all of us) for trying to resist this measure.

I think the guy's lost it.
Posted at 7:19 AM  

Blogger DAVE BONES said:

very interesting blog. I didn't realise this was happening. Because some American soldiers enjoy torturing people and some pilots drop huge bombs on innocent people it doesn't mean "America" is doing this.

Because Bush wants the CIA to be exempt from the Geneva convention it definately does mean "America" is doing this.

Did he get an exemption?
Posted at 8:05 AM  

Blogger GodlessMom said:

You know Saur? I wish that piling naked prisoners on top of each other and putting women's panties over a man's head was the worst that had happened. We, the American public haven't even begun to actually see what has happened in the name of our country. Many people have died due to their mishandling at the hands of our soldiers and officials. The photos we have been shown out of Abu Ghraib are nothing, NOTHING compared to what is really going on. There are reports of prisoners lying in fetal positions on the concrete in their own filth surrounded by the tufts of hair they have ripped out of their own heads. There are reports of men being forced to watch while their children are raped and of attack dogs ripping into the genitals of naked prisoners. "True terrorist style torture" is alive and well and being practiced by the United States with the full backing of the Bush administration.

We as a country agreed to the Geneva Convention rules long ago an yet this has happened. THAT is why we need the law. Remember Gonzales saying that the Geneva Convention rules are "quaint"? These assholes need to know that they can't throw humanity out the door just because they aren't treading on US soil.
Posted at 9:13 AM  

Blogger Meegan said:

Bravo, Godless Mom, and I agree with everything you said. Bush is such a *$(#)ing hypocrite and I hate him with every fiber of my being. If I believed in hell, I know he would end up there.

I wish Americans would stop trying to claim that we are "more civilized" than citizens of other countries. Most people in any country are just living their lives, trying to get by. Obviously, these people don't make the news. And for some reason, a lot of Americans think that in the Arab world, the news is completely skewed but that in the US we get all the information. Do you think our government wanted us to know about the Abu Ghraib torture?
Posted at 10:20 AM  

Blogger GreatSheElephant said:

McCain should refuse the exemption and let Bush veto the bill and then no-one will be able to say that they cannot see Bush for what he truly is.

I am so ashamed my government supports Bush.
Posted at 1:41 PM  

Blogger dddragon said:

If only we would agree with the Geneva Convention! But I think it would take a law to be passed before some in our government would ... wait, no, I'll take that back. These people think they can do and get away with anything.
Posted at 1:48 PM  

Blogger TLP said:

George W. Bush CAN do anything and get away with it!

These are the people who claim to be Christians! Good thing I'm an athiest. If I were still a Christian I'd be mighty insulted.
Posted at 2:53 PM  

Blogger Lila said:

Glad you're back in business! Good job, hubby.

Well said. I feel the same way that you do about it, pretty much the whole thing. Great rant.
Posted at 8:04 PM  

Blogger mireille said:

I agree with everything you've said. xoxo
Posted at 11:15 PM  

Blogger Urban Chick said:

hear hear

although i am also slightly confused as to why the US cannot just choose to abide by the terms of the convention (as i understand other nations do)

hi there too btw! i don't comment often but i do drop by regularly...

UC
Posted at 2:57 PM  

Blogger The Lazy Iguana said:

The Bush admin argument that the Geneva Convention does not apply because they are calling the prisioners "detanees" and "enemy combatabts" (as opposed to soldiers) was the warning.

They found a loophole in the convention. It only covers "soldiers", which make up "armies" and are under the control of a "state". The terrorists are not a nation, therefore there is not a terrorist "army" and by extention no "soldiers".

Yet nobody will say we are NOT at war.

It is always hard to set the example. In WWII, then the Nazis and Japanese were doing terrible things to POWs, the allied powers were not. There were no American or British forced labor death camps. The fact that the Nazis and Japanese had them was not the issue. The issue was WE agreed to NOT have them. And back then, America stuck to its pledge.

After the war, we could prosecute people for war crimes. Why? Because we did not do the same thing.

Flash to now. The Bush Administration pretty much urinated on the Geneva Convention in the name of collecting intelligence. As a result of this intelligence collection, London and Madrid still got bombed. What intelligence are we collecting here?

And also, how can the USA charge any of the "terrorists" with war crimes, when this nation itself is guilty of some of the SAME war crimes as far as international law looks at things?
Posted at 7:49 PM  

Blogger Kristie said:

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." - Adolf Hitler

"Incompetents invariably make trouble for people other than themselves."
-Larry McMurtry, 'Lonesome Dove'US author (1936 - )

I spend time collecting quotes...i thought these fit the topic.

Bush and this government makes me sick. I still love the United States, but I despise the folks currently in office. I hate what they stand for and what they are responsible for. I cannot wait until we can hold them all accountable for all that is evil in this country. (well, maybe thats a bit extreme, but you get the idea)

--K--
Posted at 9:17 AM  

Blogger Lucy Stern said:

Interesting rant! We should follow the rules of the Geneva Convention as we have in previous wars. Those soldiers that knowingly participated in humilitating the prisoners should be diciplined, but so should the people up the chain of command.

I don't think you can accuse us of beheading prisoners or not feeding them three meals a day, but some of there techniques are out in left field.

If anyone should know about prisoner abuse it would be John McCain. He was a prisoner of war for several years.
Posted at 8:05 PM  

Add a comment